Should I get genetic testing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JaneSmith, May 10, 2010.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I am at high risk for breast and ovarian cancer due to family history. If I get genetic testing and I have the bad gene do I then get my body cut up and remove these organs? I don't know what to do. Thoughts anyone?
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Maybe I can help you a bit. Breast cancer runs very high in the women on my mom's side of the family (the maternal side of my family), so I am at extremely high risk for breast cancer according to all doctors. Genetic testing may be able to tell whether I have the gene, but it cannot tell me whether I will actually get breast cancer--and the most important to me is whether I will get it.

So at every visit with any type of doctor, I have a paper with all my meds, my allergies, what ailments I have and that the maternal side of my family all have breast cancer and that I'm high risk for it. I continue to get a mammogram every year, get a woman's physical every year, and even though I am past menopause, doctors WILL NOT place me on any type of estrogen as that's "poking the bear." I may be the wild card in the family that doesn't get it, but so far no test one can tell me for sure.

Good luck and hugs.