(((((((((((((Should I give it a shot? SSDI))))))))))))

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Sep 23, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Since my docs are farting around about diagnosis, coming up with the wildest things- like my PTSD would be the reason for all my horrible physical problems like Rhaynauds, neuropathy, postural tachycardia, fatigue, etc etc., I was thinking of applying for SSDI on grounds of my PTSD.

Not because I belive most of my symptoms comes from that, but because I DO have PTSD, and it is not going anywhere anytime soon. It affects me greatly with consentration, focus, attention, anxiety, physical fatigue, continuous migraines. etc.

Even without my health problems my PTSD is limiting enough. of course PTSD is assumed to cause clinical depression as well, I wouldn't really know when I am and not since my PTSD started as a young child. I don't know what it feels like to NOT be on the "low end" of the scale,,,LOL!

I can't work due to my health, I have to apply, my docs can't make up their minds what I have. They have my visits, documented symptoms, my 28 months of continuous counseling for PTSD and the diagnosis itself by my Psyk.

I am at my wits end. If I could work I would. We live on child support alone and both fathers have not paid for 2 months.

I can't sit here and wait any longer for my docs to figure wether it's all in my head (duh?!) or not.

Any ideas, experiences anyone?!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2006]
  2. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi hon,

Just wanted to say I saw your post and I'm sorry you have to go through this...

I was going to post today regarding ptsd because just yesterday my hubby was diagnosed...Imagine over 20 years for a diagnosis...He saw a new doc at the VA and in a matter of an hour, our whole world changed...

Finally he may get the help he needs to heal...I am ssuming by your post that counseling didn't 'cure' anything, but has it helped you?

We have been anti-med since both of us have had terrible experiences with them so we were thinking counseling would have to be the next step...If you don't mind, would you share a lil more of your experience with me so I can help understand what my husband is going through?

I know my husband is in the midst of his ss claim and is awaiting a hearing but that initially was unrelated to ptsd, however now his new doc says that this case should be a 'no-brainer' and he will help him succeed if need be...After only an hour, this doc gave him several reasons he 'shouldn't' be working, Never mind why he thought he couldn't work...

You stated above that if you could work, you would...Even though ssdi does not realize that as a reason to give you disability, it was one of the last things I kept thinking to myself before I finally stopped working...

I must go for now, my neck and head have been pounding for hours and I can't fight it anymore...

Take Care of Yourself, Alicia
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Alicia, I am anti meds too. Counseling helps tremendously with the thought patterns and in easing some pattern in reaction and behavior from PTSD. As I know people with long term PTSD, especially childhood- I don't see a real "cure", but counseling helps us g"get thru the day" easier. I highly recommend it.

It may take a little time to see results, but it is helpful to not be afraid to talk, to elaborate about everything we think and don't think is related to PTSD. In the end- it is all connected.

I can't find the www. but there are some documentation about physiological consequeses of PTSD, like cardiac problems, cognitive,etc.

If he would like to try any meds at all, the most harmless one and not addictive as many claims is the old and tried Xanax. It is an anti anxiety med, and it can be used only occationally. It will relax, and help with anxiety. Ask him if he often have a fluttering feeling in the gutt. It is not clear anxiety, but a sign that an unknown trigger is at work. Some people benefit from Xanax for this.

Ask more if you wish!
  4. ivorysnow1961

ivorysnow1961 New Member

I AM SOOO SORRY YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH YOUR DOC. I KNOW FRO EXPERIENCE THAT IT IS A PAIN IN THE YOU KNOW WHERE.

BELIEVE ME IT IS NOT ALL IN YOUR HEAD. I HAVE PTSD AND THE DOCTOR MENTIONED TO ME THE SAME THING AND I PROVED HER WRONG. I AM PROUD OF ME FOR STICKING UP FOR ME.

SO GO FOR IT. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT.

IVORYSNOW
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thanks for the incouragement! I know what I have too :), but I can't afford to sit and wait another year while my doc fart around. I need help now. Oh, my, I feel so stressed out.
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Did anyone here get SSDI for PTSD alone?
  7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Hope this note fines you feeling fairly well today! As
    some input on your question, I think you should try an
    get SSDI or some help. With the responsiblity of your
    young chrildren, I don't know how you are able to handle
    so much! You have my admiration and respect!

I wouldn't be concerned as much with the actual diagnosis
    as with the documented RESIDUAL EFFECT of your illness or
    combinations thereof. Sounds as if you may be "more ill"
    than I and yet I managed to successfully attain SSA help.
    My illness diagnosed as Hemochromatosis is not in itself
    listed as an illness covered under the SSA rules. However,
    the documented Fatigue as a result of the attendant liver
    problem qualified me for the Entitlement. Don't find
    yourself hungup on the terminology.

Do hope you start the process, Lena, as it can often take
    such a long time and one does not know or can predict the
    progression of these illnesses. The help would be of
    great value to you I'am sure.

Sincerely,
    MRDAD
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Yey! Thanks greatly for the reply, I started to feel lonely here,,, LOL!

I will start this week, I have to get all the documentation, and I assume tell my doc I'm applying whether he likes it or not. I've heard it's easier to have docs "help" if you tell them your'e seeking temporary disability rather than permanent.

Big hugs, Mrdad
  9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Actually my Doctors had little to do with my pursuit nor
    did I solicite their help verymuch. Sounds strange, but
    I pretty much let things be determined by my Medical
    records and history. Believe there was only one form
    that I even have a Doc fillout and he thought I would be
    able to do some limited work. I still convinced the ALJ
    otherwise by the use of Med records and honest and evi-
    dently believeable testimony.

I'll help you with questions as I have answers. JLH I
    beleive is quite knowledgable and always seems more than
    willing to help when she can.

Hope you are having a nice day with the Children.

MRDAD
  10. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Lenasvn:

I think that you can get SSDI if you are disabled...I know it takes some time to get through the process. I am wondering why your children's fathers have not been paying child support? I think that if you apply for SSDI, and get approved for you and your minor children, the state that you are living in, or the federal government, can go after these father's to force them to pay support.

In my case, I was told by my private long term disability company (UNUM PROVIDENT) that if I do get SSDI, the government can go after the father of my child to force him to pay. At the moment, I have no agreement with him to provide child support. I have sole legal and physical custody. They told me that he would have to pay. I have not confirmed this yet with SSDI.

Hope you get some answers. I am just at the end of a 6months leave for Short Term Disability, mostly due to RA.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  11. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thank you both.

Donnaeil had her FM diagnosis to back up. My doc is still farting around, I have no diagnosis on paper. I was thinking to go for the PTSD only. I will try to post Donna and see if she have any advice!

They can't go after "daddy" until a few months have passed. They should go after them sooner if they tend to leave their employers willfully like this guy does every 9 months or so. Nothing the child support enforcement can do-yet.

You guys have been very helpful! Many thanks!