Should I go back to an MD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CinCA, Dec 9, 2005.

1. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I've been seeing an ND (naturopathic dr.) for a few years after my health just kept getting worse and worse and I got to where I couldn't tolerate any prescription drugs. My health has actually improved, although I still am by no means 100% (I have CFS).

I also have such constant stressors (including an upcoming move...big, big changes), and I am constantly, 24 x 7, on edge between all of that and my nonstop, NEVER quiet, NEVER not moving high-functioning autistic 4 y.o. daughter. I have plenty of valid situational reasons to be teetering on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and I am fortunate I haven't gotten there and don't plan to.

Still, though, I am so on edge all the time, my sleep is light and restless, and I wake up with my heart racing, ready to go back to bed after an hour because I am so fried already. I feel like my nervous system is so used to being "wired" it has a mind of its own. Yoga, exercise, etc. used to help but now anything just amps me more. My adrenals are shot and have been for years, too, literally.

I'm wondering if I should try pharmaceuticals, esp. something like Klonopin, etc. (tolerated meds. of that class as muscle relaxants/sleep aids after surgery) to get me through this rough time. I hate even opening the MD door again, though, and we are moving out of the area, so part of me wonders if I should wait 'til I get settled. On the other hand, I am really rattled and get overstimmed so often now I am sick of feeling so miserable.

Thanks for any advice!
  2. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

The new rheumy I am seeing is an OD, an Osteopathic doctor. I feel really fortunate to have found him. He has training in nutrition, naturpathic medicine, internal medicine, infectious disease and rheumatology.

This doctor checked a lot of things my PCP and other rheumy didn't bother to check, but should have. My TSH had been flucuating for months and they kept watching it. I asked to have my T3 and T4 checked, but my PCP didn't thing it was necessary and said no. I didn't realize my iron had not been checked either until I got copies of my blood work for the new doc since I knew there had been some abnormal results.

Result: new rheumy found my T3 was low, I was anemic, Vit D was low. I was dx FMS and have extreme disabling fatigue with it. Hopefully getting treatment for this will finally help restore my energy. My OD rheumy doc combines naturepathic and modern medicine treatment methods.

If sounds like you need to see a doc before you move to help with you symptoms now to ease you through the transition.

Good luck with that special daughter of yours. I know how trying and challenging it must be raising a child with autism. My best friend and former employee in my child care has a son with autism and I worked with him to tame his challenging behaviors. He is an incredible 11 year old now and has come a long ways. Have you had any intervention to help you work with her behavior challenges? It can really make a difference and lower stress in the family.

Take care and good luck to you.

Jeanette
  3. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

you should maybe mix the two. As They are both beneficial. You are not sleeping and who you are seeing is not helping with sleep that maybe you should consider seeing an MD to help to sleep.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, I think Jeanette meant a DO, not an OD.

It doesn't matter which you would see -- a MD or a DO -- they are both medical doctors and know the exact same thing, only a DO has had courses in manipulation; however, the majority of them do not use it in their practices.

DO's can specialize in different fields just the same as MD's can and do. So, if you want to go back to your primary care physician, whether he/she is a family medicine doc, internal medicine, or rheumy - I recommend that you go back and give him/her another try.

You have a lot of your plate by taking care of an autistic 4 yr old. You need to have your sleep patterns evaluated by having a sleep study and probably could benefit from some anti-anxiety meds. All this has to make your cfs worse.

Best of luck to you, dear.

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet

5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I think the move would be easier if you dealt with your edginess beforehand.

Have you discussed it with your Naturopath? There are some herbal preparations and amino acids that can help anxiety. I wonder if they would be enough to handle your situation, though.

I think this might be a good time for a pharmaceutical, especially since you know that you tolerate the benzo-whatevers. I would not go to a regular MD or DO. I would go to a psychiatrist or the DO equivalent, if there is such. They are the ones with the best knowledge of psychotropic drugs.

[This Message was Edited on 12/10/2005]
  6. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I appreciate the feedback! Oh yes, I forgot about the whole D.O. thing, despite my friend from kindergarten being married to one (although I just think of him as her hubby...they live out of state). I did see my ND the other day and he gave me some stuff that should help with the edginess and sleep disturbances (I keep waking up...like tonight). We'll see. I really hope it works, as I have a longstanding relationship with this practioner and he knows me well. He has done a lot for me and esp. my daughter.

He saw her, too, and gave me a new homeopathic to hopefully settle the "hyperactivity" she has at the moment. Too early to see, although it's freaky how well the homeopathic remedies work for my kid. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Re: my daughter, we did do a lot of behavioral/parenting stuff early on, as well as private OT and ST (occupational/sensory and speech therapy), being that she was too "high-functioning" for any agency to help us. She is so much better now, and we have hit our groove with her, although she still is way more challenging than a "typical" kid (she is extremely strong-willed). We had a good day today...she was in a local ballet company's production of "The Nutcracker", and she (and the rest of the cast) did great! My daughter thoroughly enjoyed herself, which was a little scary, as her vibrant, charismatic personality lends itself quite well to performing. I joke that she sucks all the energy out of mom. It sure feels like it, but I am glad she is so happy and carefree!

So for now, I'm going to try the new stuff from my ND and do my best to take it religiously (I have tended to fall asleep so early I've skipped evening doses of stuff). If I still am not doing better, another ND I have worked with periodically (who used to work with my current ND) now has partnered with an MD (if you can follow all of that). So she may be able to get me access to some pharmaceuticals, if I need to go that route. I'll probably try that first, being as I have the relationship there. Otherwise, hopefully I can do okay 'til the move, as I hate to expend the effort in finding a new doc. only to relocate in a month or so. Things are slowly falling into place, which is helping, and hubby plans to finally next week be able to give notice at his current job, so that will be good. We technically haven't been able to say anything to anyone about the new job/move for about a month. That has been very hard...I am awful with keeping secrets and can't stand having to talk around or even flat-out almost lie about all of this.

Thanks again for all the helpful hints!
    C.