Should I go see RD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. Sheila1366

    Sheila1366 New Member

    I have been having the worse pain in my hands,thumbs and wrists for awhile now.I hurt especially in and around the knuckles.Should I go see RD. to make sure that this isn't RA?
  2. Sheila1366

    Sheila1366 New Member

    Sorry everybody
  3. Musica

    Musica New Member

    first, you did say RA, but by RD I think you meant rheumatological doctor.

    With the symptoms you have, it wouldn't hurt to be checked out. If it is RA, the earlier the treatment the better. If it isn't, it could still be osteoarthritis. Rheumies are specialists in bones, joints, tendons and ligaments so he should be able to figure out what is going on.

    By knuckles, do you mean the ones in the middle of your fingers or between your fingers and the main part of your hand? As my PCP explained it, RA is primarily seen in the MCP's (joints where the bottoms of fingers and body of hand join). OA more affects the joints in the middle of your fingers. With bone and joint diseases progressing as they do, it would be good to have checked out. You might want to call and make sure he treats FMS so you will make sure you won't end up with a rheumy who dismisses FMS and doesn't address any of your complaints as valid.
  4. cjpwash

    cjpwash New Member

    RD stands for Registered Dietitian
  5. Sheila1366

    Sheila1366 New Member

    The pain is between the joints of my fingers and when I apply pressure to the joints they hurt too.I am wondering could it be carpal tunnel.What are the symptoms for that.This morning the pain has traveled down my forearms.It's just another thing to deal with.

[ advertisement ]