Should I go talk to my Dr.??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunnywey, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. sunnywey

    sunnywey New Member

    Sorry - I brought back an old thread about "soft tissue Rheumatism" this morning, but now I thought I'd better start my own thread - so I could get some advice myself.

    My Dr. told me 7 yr. ago that he thought I had Fibromyalgia, and sent me to a young Rheumatologist. She told me that I did have Fibromyalgia, and enrolled me in a 10 wk. pain management workshop at the Arthritis Centre. My Dr. tried me out on some of the drugs she recommended. He is a good Dr.( I have gone to him for about 20 yr.) + has always tried his best to help me.

    Now - my problem - He had to write a letter so I could apply for a life insurance plan,+ had to list any medical conditions I have.

    He phoned me up at home at 7PM Fri nite, to ask me how I know I have Fibromyalgia ( after all these years!!)
    I reminded him that I was diagnosed by the Rheumatologist etc.
    Then - He told me that the letter she wrote to him said that I had "Soft Tissue Arthritis" not Fibromyalgia.
    I told him that she told me I had Fibromyalgia. He did say - "Oh alright"

    So - Tonight I looked on the National Arthritis Foundation web site + they clearly say they are the same thing.

    Should I print it out + take it to him?????

    He is a very open minded Dr. that has always listened to me - but I think we need to agree on what is wrong with me.
    I do have ALL the symptoms, and this says they are the same.

    The questions on the form he had to fill out obviously asked some questions that made him think about it.

    I thank you for listening to me, and I appreciate any advice - from those that read all this
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2006]
  2. dragon06

    dragon06 New Member

    heard FM called "Soft Tissue Arthritis" but if you have documentation on this that might affect your application you may want to tell your doctor about it.

    I tried to find the info you mentioned but I could not get on the National Arthritis Foundation website.

    I looked at the Arthritis Foundation website and they didn't have anything listed as "Soft Tissue Arthritis".

    Maybe someone else has heard of this? Anyone?
  3. sunnywey

    sunnywey New Member

    Maybe I should have said "Soft tissue Rheumatism"

    You're right Dragono6 - no mention of "soft tissue Arthritis" altho - that is what my Dr. said.

    This is what I found-

    "Rheumatic diseases not only affect the joints causing arthritis, but can also affect the muscle and tendon of the body. Soft tissue rheumatism can be classified as:

    regional - bursitis and tendinitis

    generalised - fibromyalgia

    Bursitis and tendinitis is the inflammation of the bursa and tendon. (Bursae are small sacs found between the bone and muscle tendon. Tendons are thick fibrous cords that join muscle to bone.)

    Fibromyalgia is the generalized aching, stiffness and fatigue of the muscles and soft tissues with multiple painful spots in specific muscle area. There is no inflammation of the muscles."


    "Fibromyalgia, is a chronic, widespread pain in muscles and soft tissues surrounding the joints throughout the body, accompanied by fatigue.

    Although its symptoms are similar to other joint diseases, such as arthritis, fibromyalgia is actually a form of soft tissue or muscular rheumatism that causes pain in the muscles and soft tissues. "

    It won't affect my application - but why did the rheumatologist send me to a Fibromyalgia workshop if I have "Soft tissue Arthritis?"

    Maybe my Dr. meant "Soft tissue Rheumatism"

    Should I go talk to him and see what he says?

  4. dragon06

    dragon06 New Member

    talk to your doctor about this. I would hate to see an issue with the application cause the doctor's called it 2 different things.

    It does seem to combine the 2 so maybe just having that info would be good as well...but I would mention it to the doctor.
  5. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member

    I would set up an appointment and show up at the doctor's doorstep until he fills in 'fibromyalgia'. I had my doctor write my diagnosis on a prescription pad. Now I can show it whenever I need it, especially to SSA if needed.

    Sure, I would talk to the doctor also, but would do it in person. Just me...

  6. sunnywey

    sunnywey New Member

    I think I will go see him - just so we are on the same page.
    It was him who 1st suggested I have Fibromyalgia, a yr. before I could get in to see a Rheumatologist, who by the way, talked a lot about the relationship of sleep to Fibromyalgia, so - not sure why she would tell him something different.
  7. ckzim

    ckzim New Member

    that one of my Rheumy's, when examining me...showed my husband the difference...Fibro...muscles and tendons have what he called "reflective" or 'mirror" pain.

    Meaning...I was feeling pain in the oppisite muscle that was constricted.
    He said..."that this is how we can tell it's Fibro"

    My husband then felt where the doctor was pushing...ouch!
    and my husband was amazed...that doctor...helped me in ways he didn't my husband was kind of like...yeah..right Fibro????? That proved it for him.
    He's a beleiver now...
    It is important to get both doctors to agree on one diagnois.
    It stands up better in any kind of case. Maybe get one more doctors oppinion.. to agree with the first two is even better.

    Wishing all the best...

[ advertisement ]