****??Should I go w/ THYROID or ADRENAL glandular???****

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jeanne-in-Canada, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm about to run out of the Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Rebuilder, right before Christmas no less. Problably a bad time to test how much I need it, so I found some supplements I can buy at a store, much less expensive than ordering from Arizona.

I highly recommend dessicated liver, as the best way to build your blood and iron reserves, and to strengthen your liver. Cheap too!

but my question is: should I go w/ a straight adrenal supplement, or a mixed thyroid supplement, that happens to contain adrenal as a supporting glandular w/ a few others? The Dr. Wilson's was a synergistic blend of other supporting glandulars, not just adrenal (one was actually thyroid, I suspect that's why it worked?

Jeanne
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

but I am curious about whether you are self-prescribing based on your symptoms or whether you had a test that showed your adrenals/thyroid were malfunctioning?

The reason I ask is because I am about to start trying something for my adrenals...and wondered if there is some test I shld request first.

I had a cortisone (cortisol?) test, but it came back normal... but then I read that a lot of the blood tests in PWCFS come back normal.. when there is clearly something awry.

Cheers
    Delia
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

My cortisol is wacked, I had extensive blood testing. The liver I am self perscribing because my doctor isn't on the ball enough to think my low iron is worth addressing, or that something as cheap as dessicated liver would be the best thing for that. She tends to perscribe the most outrageiously expensive things, I swear she thinks price actually counts for something.

The doc did perscribe the Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Rebuilder, that brand in particular. She gave me a few samples to try and they helped.

Jeanne
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I checked out his website... the ingredients in that formulation sound pretty serious.

I wonder if there is any harm in trying some...without a diagnosis. Nothing to lose but time and money i suppose...

Cheers
    Delia
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

When you say extensive testing. What did you have exactly?

I had the one test where they give you a shot of cortisol and then test your blood at half hour intervals to see if it produces something or other...

Delia
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

it was an ordeal.

I did the am/pm cortisol blood draw, where you go in at 8:00 am (not a morning person) then back at 4:00 pm. I'm chemically sensitive, so everytime I go out I have to shower and change.

They did many other blood tests for cholesterol, Vit D, ascorbate, blood cells, hormone levels etc.

Plus, I did the 24 hour cortisol, and had to pee in a bucket for a full 24 hours and store it in the fridge in between. This w/ the am/pm cortisol are very important to test the adrenal function.

Jeanne
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

the more research I do, the more I see that adrenal fatigue and reduced thyroid function go hand in hand. My primary problem is definitely adrenals, but I have mixed symptoms and some adrenal hormones are responsible for converting thyroid hormone into a usable form.

For the similar price to ordering Dr. Wilson's, I can buy the adrenal, the thyroid and liver glandulars, and get the synergy I want by staggering them.

I found an extensive chart that lists very specific symptoms, and also blood test findings for adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid and a mixed condition of both. Type: Matrix of Signs and Symptoms of low adrenal and thyroid function, Dr. Rind - into a search engine.

Jeanne
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2005]
  8. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

There is a 24 hour saliva test for adrenal function that is avalilable through a Dr Poesnecker's website.

I had this done a few years back & got excellent info back from the lab re. adrenal function , cortisol levels & dhea levels.

Subsequently, i worked w/Dr Poesnecker's staff via phone re. supplementation to help correct some of these problems.

Although, i did not get the results that i thought i would from the treatment. The testing & testing results were useful.

JT
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

I'm curious what was the treatment perscribed to you after your saliva test results, and how did it fall short?

Jeanne
  10. sofy

sofy New Member

I cant answer your question but I know I couldnt make myself eat liver from any living thing even if it were fed only organic food.

The liver is the organ that detoxes all the toxins of the animal and even those that are raised under the most careful conditions are suseptible to disease or outside toxins.

If you eat the liver you are potentially eating toxins. Seems like a risk no matter how you look at it.

Any glandular animal product or food has potential risks and for me the risks outweigh the posible benefit.

Im sick enough without taking additional risks from something I have no control over like what an animals liver is exposed to before I ingest it.

Sorry to be such a worry wort but these products do scare me.
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

I know my testosterone is low, not sure of other sex hormones. I've been able to strengthen my adrenals and get my testosterone and energy up before w/ special attn. to digestion, foods, and adding liver to build my blood and strengthen my liver.

If I really have to, I may look into bioidentical hormones up the road. But I'm really leary of going that far, I'll try everything else first.

I'm not afraid of glandulars myself. With the liver esp., I've only seen benefits. The place where supplements have been toxic and run into problems is w/ bone meal supplements, ie. calcium. Another risky thing in my books is coral calcium for the same reasons, like bone meal, the toxins like heavy metals will accumulate there.

Jeanne
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

13. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

Re you question on what treatment was prescribed & how it fell short.

I was put on DHEA , a pituitary homeopathic & another glandular formula (can't recall exact name). I stuck to this regimen for several months, w/some different supplements added in (& subtracted) over that time.

The problem in my case, is that my body does not seem to react to these supplements the same way that a "normal" low dhea/low thyroid/low energy person would. The reason is that my problems were compounded by the mercury/amalgam issues, as I'd had amalgams in 13 molars replaced w/composites in the year prior to starting the treatment w/Dr P's staff.

Per info rec'd from some folks who are very knowledgeable in the mercury amalgam poisoning/detox field,,,it is typical for someone who had that many amalgams over the period of time that i did, to have problems using the same supps/treatments as someone who did not have that type of mercury exposure.

Consequently,although i did get some initial boost from the DHEA,,etc.... over time i did not get really significant improvements.

i have found that my ongoing regimen over the past 3-4 years of taking magnesium, B- complex sublingual, Primal Defense, fish oil caps, yaeyama chlorella, melatonin & klonopin,,,while continuing to take a 25 mg DHEA cap each day has helped me slowly recover & improve.

Bottom line is that i think that if you don't have the amalgam factor to consider & your issues are primarily hormonal,,,then the treatment plan, based off of the saliva hormone results could help you out a lot.

JT

JT