Should I keep my uterus???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I'm going to get my ovary out due to 16 by 18 mass on it and really scared.

Anyway I have a 8 cm fibroid and my doc says shed like to take out my uterus. Can't have kids due to this illness and im in late 30s.

I do have heavy bleeding but can live with it though I don't like it. Jsut scared if the uterus is out I may get MORE problem. Kinda thinking if it aint broke don't fix it kinda thing.
    HELP!
    Rene
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I was glad to have it all out. After having breast cancer, I thought the less parts the better!

Kim
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

Thanks all for your replies. I think I'm gonna keep it. I will have the major surgery for the ovarian mass (it could be cancer as it grew from 8 cm to 18cm) quickly. I am going today by myself for the consult. I am SCARED.

I am alone for yrs and yrs so there is no way I can have kids cause I barely make daily living needs and plus with no friends there is no way i'd get a boyfriend!

I can't be in anyworse shape as I don't have any help. So maybe I should just stay safe and keep the uterus.

Thanks for the quick replies!!!!!!!!

4. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

Hi, Rene, I suffered from endometreosis(sp). Any how I had many surgeries to remove scar tissue. It was to the point where the doctors were starting to get nervous to keep going in. Because the endo. was attaching itself to my organs and I was also getting bad adhesions. I also had a cyst removed from an ovary. The surgeries did clean me out so I could have kids. I have 3 beautiful girls. I feel it was safe to get the hysterectomy after the kids. I needed to relieve some pain. How ever some pain stayed because I got more adhesions and the doctors discoverded the fibro. that caused some of the pain. I still have that pain. I am very happy with the hysterectomy (also took my ovaries). I find it better now for sex because it hurt before. Now I don't have any stress about getting pregnant (3 is enough). It is a big choice and you should really think things through. My second husband and I don't have kids of our own because I already had the hysterectomy. I never knew I would divorse my first husband. It did work out for the best though because my second husband had 2 boys the same age as my girls. I have a huge house of kids now. Remember I said 3 is enough. God had other plans for me I guess. Good luck on your decision.
  5. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I too had the heavy bleeding and huge fibroid and they took it all but the left ovary. I was so relaxed about the whole thing and said sure go ahead.(already had my kids and was sick of the monthly nonsense). I wish I hadnt. That was 5 years ago and I swear it was the start of my decline physically and emotionally. I recommend a website or google hystersisters and find their website. It helped me through it(like this site does) but I wish I found it prior to the surgery. Best of luck to you and know there are alternatives ....I didnt know that :(
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

If you are not able to have children due to this problem, and there is no surgery that can be done to correct the problem so that you COULD have children, and you do not want to try to have children due to your age, then I would have my uterus taken out.

I had a partial hysterectomy (still have my ovaries) when I was 32 and it was the best surgery that I every had. I would highly recommend it to every woman who has the childbearing issues resolved.

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i understand thet the ovary needs to be removed, but there is another option for the fibroid besides a hysterectomy. you can go and have a consultation with an interventional radiologist about a fibroid embolization. it only involves a small puncture in you upper thigh they thread small catheters up to the blood vessels that are supplying the fibroid. then they put some meterial in to stop the blood flow to the fibroid. you stay in the hospital over night and go home in the morning. you get to keep your uterus and the fibroid is gone. recovery ir only a couply of dsys. if i were you i would at least talk to a doctor about this procedure.
    rachel
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

You could have the fibroid removed & then the lining of your uterus lasered to stop the heavy bleeding. I had this (endometrial resection)done in 1991. The recovery time is much quicker than after a hysterectomy.
  9. Txslady

Txslady New Member

I had a ovary removed in March 1996. I continued to have problems and had a complete hysterectomy in February 1998, at the age of 26. I was through having kids so this was not a problem. I wish I would have done it all in 1996. I don't think I could live with the monthly cycle and the fibro at the same time. Something that was asked about 6 months ago leads me to advise you about it. An internist asked my if they had removed my apendix during the surgery. I had to say no one told me if they did. During a test a few months ago I had the technician look and she could not find it. Ask your doctor if they are going to remove the apendix, this is a part you don't need and you could possible avoid another surgery later in life. I should have had the doctor remove all spare parts during the first surgery.

Shannon
  10. Rene

Rene New Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am gonna keep it as I am not have severe bleeding problems and that the websites (mayoclinic) ect say its radical to have a hysterectomy for a fibroid. My symptoms are not that bad.

I don't like periods but who does? Hysterectomies are when fibroids are really affecting you life and you just can't stand it anymore.

I just hope my mass ovairan isn't cancer cause it grew so large and fast.
  11. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi I did end up keeping my uterus. A fibroid is a mass in your uterus or on the outside of your uterus. Like 99% its not cancer so I left it in and I am glad I did.

Why are you bleeding so much?? When I got my 18 cm mass off my ovary and my one ovary removed the surgeon found endo (which I didn't know i had). The surgeon cleaned it up really good (usually pain and heavy bleeding is cause by endo-I had no pain) and my period are super light now!

Do you know why you have so much bleeding?? Endo can't be found except by going in surgically and looking.

BTW a study showed that a very high percentage of CFS people have endo. I found that out after I had my major surgery.
    Take care,
    Rene
  12. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

Hope this makes you feel a little better. I, too had a large mass. One check-up it wasn't there and the next it was. I was so scared. I just knew it was cancer. I had FMS and reoccurant shigles, so I thought this was the reason for all the trouble I was having.

It wasn't. The mass was too large, so they had to remove my ovary - but (Thank you God), no cancer.

However, about 6 months later, I was having a lot of pain during sex and a lot of lower back pain. With this stupid disease you never know if it's just from that or something different! I went back to the same Gyno and sure enough I had fibroids.

That's when I decided to just have it all removed. Not worth all the worry of cancer or even having to go BACK in for something else. Wisest decision I ever made. I figures that I already had FMS - how worse can it get!?

End of story - no more periods, no more back pain and I didn't even have any hormaonal problems. One less thing to worry about. Rene, you will be in my prayers about your mass, okay?!
  13. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

14. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

Mine started with bad cramping on my Lt ovary, heavy periods, irregular periods and IBS/Di. After putting up with the pain for about a year I finally went in to get it ck out. They found a small fibroid and a cyst. Gyn said this was the cause and an endo-biopsy was done. Neg for cancer and when the second intravaginal ultra was done both dissapreared. Strange cause I still get a lot of pain on that same side with heavy bleeding. I didnt know those cyst and fobroids could dissapear like that. Oh, I had my tubes tied way back in 98 after the birth of my little man.

T~
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

Since you are no longer able to have children with this problem, then I would definitely have my uterus out, if it were me.

In fact, I had a hysterectomy when I was 32, 2 years after I had my 3rd child. (I am now 55.)

I have not regretted it one day!! In fact, it was the best surgery that I have ever had!!! I would recommend it to everyone!!

It would eliminate your heavy bleeding and then you do not have to worry about any further disease in it.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy. It was an easy surgery and easy recovery.

Hugs,
    Janet
  16. mariee

mariee Member

Hi Rene,
    What a tough decision.
    The poster who mentioned the
    hystersisters website
    gave good advice.
    That website is a plethora of info for pre surgery and post surgery.
    Any surgery is major and I am glad you are doing research.

I had a huge growth (I looked pregnant), That website saved me a lot, answered all my questions, etc.

Good luck
    Marie
  17. spacee

spacee Member

Those who LOVE having no uterus. Those who have PROBLEMS since the hysterecty.

I fall in the first group but, darn it, you don't get to know what group you will be in until it is already done.

Sorry, that I can't be of more help.

Hugs.

Linda
  18. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I just posted about this on another thread but I will tell you my MIL's story -

She had very heavy bleeding - got dx'd with fibroids. She tried supplements first - Vitamin E and soy isoflavones - they didn't help.

Her doc put her on hormones next, no help.

She finally (almost a year later) had a hysterectomy and between her largest fibroid and the uterine wall were malignant cancer cells - it was only a miracle from God that they had not metastisized already.

Get what is called a "second surgical opinion" - nearly all health insurances cover this for major surgery.

But if you've had continual problems, they generally don't get better and they generally will get worse. It sounds like your doctor wants to head things off at the pass.

Usually while you are on the table in this kind of surgery, tissues from the masses are going to be screened by a pathologist. If anything is cancerous, they're going to take everything that is involved anyway.

I've also had 2 other family members in addition to MIL who had total hysterectomies due to fibroids - they have all told me that they couldn't believe how much better they felt after having the surgery, and they all felt they waited longer than they had to, given the immediate improvement.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

19. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

One of the women who had the total hysterectomy at age 30, due to fibroids and eno which (we didn't know until the GYN opened me up) was rapidly growing and attaching itself to my right bowel.

My hyster was abdominal, as my GYN said that he believed that any woman in need of a hysterectomy should have everything checked out, and he meant everything from inside out. But that was before the days when they had all the wonderful scopes they have now.

My recup time was very quick. I had two small sons, but was blessed to have a very supportive hubby, MIL, mom & dad who helped out quite a bit for about two weeks. I had also had both sons via C-Section so abdominal surgery was not a new thing to me and I knew to keep moving as I could to keep soreness from setting in to stay. So yes, I was lucky, but I wouldn't try to push or encourage anyone to do as I chose. Just sayin'....I was lucky.
  20. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

MY Opinion and what I did Only....

Why keep the darn thing??? Had to have ovaries removed, why on earth would I want to keep the uterus? It served no purpose with no ovaries and only added to the worry and problems I could have in the future...so take it out.

Actually, once they got in there, my doc said they would have removed it anyway as it had terrible lesions and was in bad shape.

It serves no purpose, so why put up with monthly??

I disagree with others on the health issue, I was better for having it removed.

Maia