should i or shouldn't i?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Jun 23, 2010.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi All.

Need some advice.
    I just started my summer semester online courses last week.
    One of the requirements for the associates degree I'm going for is Keyboarding.

I've been a secretary for several years, so I have a lot of experience with typing and computers.
    The problem I'm finding is this:
    We all know how FM affects our brains and eye-hand coordination (all coordination for me!)
    So, as I'm doing these drills and timed typing assignments I can type 89 words per minute on some of the drills, and then do another drill that's basically the same as the previous one and totally bomb it and only type 30 words per minute.
    This is what I need advice on: should I tell my instructor that I have FM and it gives me brain fog and coordination problems? Or should I just not worry about it? I'm not worried about the grade I get in this course, I don't think I'm going to do that badly that I fail it. I'm worried that if I explain everything to her that she'll think I'm making up excuses and expect her to give me a break on these assignments.

The other online course I'm taking now is Medical Terminology, which I love. I'm learning terms and stuff I didn't know. So far I'm not having problems with the tests, because of course I can use my book and notes if I can't remember something.

Anyone have any good advice for me about the keyboarding????

2. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

Or so I have been told. lol I really think you should talk to your teacher and be up front with her about your fm. That way she will understand why your typing speeds varie so much even if she doesnt give you a break because of it. just my opinion
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I think it would be okay to talk to your instructor -- you should be asking what wpm you'll need to hit to pass the class. Explain your situation, if only to let your instructor know why you may have widely variable scores. Tell the instructor explicitly that you are not asking for a break, just letting them know that sometimes you flub up. You might also want to ask that, given your situation, would your instructor prefer you work only on speed, or would it be a better idea to slow down and concentrate on accuracy? (I'm betting the latter, but I don't know for sure...)

If it makes you feel better, I am the same way with typing. I used to be the fastest typist in my high school class (I even won a small scholarship to college for representing my school in Typing I at the state level and placing first overall). But now, it's like I'm fumble-fingers sometimes.

It doesn't make it easier that online testing doesn't always score fairly, depending on the program (like, if you put two spaces between one word and the next, but type the rest accurately, the rest of the test is scored incorrectly because the letters are not the ones the program is expecting to see). And you know what? I can't pass the tests in my son's elementary-level typing tutor because all the visual stuff going on in the background distracts me.

4. kat211

kat211 New Member

I am currently in grad school and I tell all of my professors about my fibro. The reason is that if I have a flare and screw everything up they know why. I have never had a negative response as they have all been supportive.
  5. loto

loto Member

for all the advice everyone.

I emailed her, and she responded soon after, saying, "thanks for the information", and that was all.

Ok, I told her my situation, anyway.