Should I Register My New Computer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LittleBluestem, Apr 8, 2009.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My old computer died, so I had to buy a new one. The manufacturer (Dell) wants me to register it. The registration screen says that will give me better support and access to special deals. I’m afraid the latter means a lot of unwanted advertising. They require a lot of personal information, including mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number. I don’t see how this is necessary to provide me with computer support.

Did you register your computer? Do you regret it? Do you think it was beneficial? (Someone else set up my first computer for me, so I don’t know if it was registered.)
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

reading somewhere recently, can't remember where, that the info put on those cards is sold
    to advertisers, etc.

You could write Dell and ask them if they'll give you a share of the proceeds. I bet they
    don't have a form letter to respond.

3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It's not necessary, but registering lets you get updates they might have for your software. But you really don't have to do it. You can if you call tech support and need help. I've always registered my pc's. There is one other benefit to registering. If it ever gets stolen, they can prove by the serial that it's yours.
  4. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

I too have a Dell...never registered it and have never had any problems with technical support the few times I've needed it. Always been a happy camper as far as my purchase...I still get their magazine and deals, of which my son drools over and then we throw them away...but it's a fine product and I'm sure you'll be fine whether or not you chose to register!

5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've never had a significant amount of junk mail (e- or snail-) because I registered my computer (I've had three Dell laptops). You should be able to opt out of offers from non-Dell advertisers during the registration process. I don't think I get more than one or two Dell ads per month, and they are easily deleted or tossed.

On the other hand, I was really glad I registered when I received a notice that my battery may be defective and that I needed to contact them for a replacement. I don't think I would have uncovered this information on my own -- my life is too busy to track this stuff down.
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I declined to register my computer (I had previously checked 'remind me later', so I could have some time to decide). When I did so, I was offered the option of sending the computer ID information and activation date. At the time I thought that was all the information they needed, anyway.

Juloo does have a good point concerning receiving noticed about problems. I certainly don't try to keep track of that sort of thing.