Should I Take A Probiotic--Still Dealing With Negative Effects of Levaquin

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Sep 12, 2009.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

As some of you know, I took Levaquin for 10 days last spring, with disasterous results. I had to see a neurologist for the severe pins in needles in my body, as well as the severe hand pain. Nothing. I had to have cortisone injected into my hand joints because the pain was that excruciating. My digestive system went into a severe tailspin, and going Gluten free has helped tremendously. Hard to believe, but alot of people who develop gluten sensitivity mid-life is due to an adverse reaction to an antibiotic.

I also had to stop taking the recommended Vitamin D because it was causing me SEVERE hand pain. My doctor claims some people, very few, have this reaction to D. So I am just taking a multi-vitamin for now.

Do you think a probiotic would help with my digestive issues? My gastro always dismisses supplements as-- stuff and doesn't seriously discuss it. I am confused about this!! Help! Any suggestions would be most welcome.

2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

About 5 yrs ago, my daughter had a close call after taking 2 doses of Levaquin. She had threatened tendon ruptures at 8 different points on her body. She was helped by taking copper supplements. Copper is heavily chelated out of the body by Levaquin ...

I've been gluten-free for over 5 yrs, and have been a member of a Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) for almost 10 yrs.

Recent published research suggests that GF diet isn't totally friendly to the "good bugs" in the gut. SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) can develop. You can double ditto that for anyone who's recently been on antibiotics.

It's not clear to me what your digestive issues are, however, I would suggest that you try a probiotic. There are a lot of different supps out there -- try to go with one that is GF & dairy-free, possibly one that contains Bifidis Infantis.

Align probiotic is OTC but getting pretty good reviews. It's expensive, but I'm wondering whether the company might send you a sample or a coupon if you email them? I have no financial interest in this product, however relatives with longstanding digestive issues have been very impressed with Align. They aren't the sort of people to do a lot of supps & are usually kinda on the cheap side, so I'm doubly impressed with their report!

If you continue to have digestive upset after several weeks of probiotic, it might be advisable to have some food allergy testing done. When the immune system gets whacked with a virus or bacteria, sometimes food allergies mysteriously develop.

About the vit D -- what size dose were you trying to take? Many docs RX huge amounts (like a 25, 000 or 50,000 IU cap). The human stomach was never meant to get vit D that way. Sometimes much lower doses are better tolerated. OR you can do a little sunbathing on a regular basis.

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2009]
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your input.

After a bit of research of my own, and on your recommendation, I went out this morning and purchased the Align. It was pricey ($36.49 for 28 capsules), but I discovered that you can order it auto-ship through Amazon for around $23, free shipping. I am so hoping this product will help me, and I will keep you posted.

Funny you should mention food allergies. I have been eating alot of soy lately (not soy sauce), and an article I read today said alot of GI people should not eat soy. I try to avoid as much dairy as I can too. I guess I have to ditch all that soy flour I stocked up on!! Honestly, I cannot believe how much of a tailspin my system went into; all from an antibiotic.

The Align is my last ditch effort to get my system back on track before I start with diagnostic testing.

My doctor, whom I really like, I believe mad a huge mistake by placing me on large doses of Vitamin D while taking the Levaquin. I think my system has a sort of memory in it, and goes insane when the vitamin D is introduced again. She had me on 5000 units daily besides what was in my muti-vitamin, and after a week, had me cut it to 2000 units. I think taking it with the Levaquin was a mistake. I am thinking when my body finally resolves itself of the Levaquin issues, I will try the D one more time to see if I can then tolerate it a little better.

Thanks again for your reply.

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I hope the Align is helpful. If it is not, do ck in with the company to see if you can get your $$ back.

One further thought -- you might consider researching the amino acid glutamine (aka L-glutamine), which has been shown to be very helpful in healing damaged guts. Many celiacs take L-glutamine & find it helpful. Glutamine is very important for maintaining structure & function of the small intestine.

Best wishes.
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

In the meantime, I had purchased another book on the gluten subject entitled, 'The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health--And What You Can Do to Take Control NOW' by Shari Lieberman. I must say, it is an outstanding book. I had heard her speak before,so when I saw that she wrote a book on the subject, I felt I needed to read it.

Anyway, last night before I went to sleep, I decided to read a few pages and, lo and behold, I was up to the part where she starts talking about the benefits of the amino acid glutamine! She really extolled the benefits of this product. I am actually going to go back and re-read that section again so I can thoroughly understand it. Thanks!!

6. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Hey, just want to say yes, to what everyone is telling you.

Probiotic- YES definitely!! I too am gluten free, and have been on antibiotics in the past.

after 4 years i'm starting to have a life again. Make sure your probiotics contain, Bifidis Infantis, like SnooQZ mentioned. I can always tell the difference, if it's missing.

Plus would suggest this to any gluten free person.

Brown Rice Protein Concentrate powder, (Jarrow formulas) i get it at vitacost, about $9.00 a jug. It's gluten-free, sugar free, dairy free, and soy-free.
    Took me alot of searching to find this product, because i need protein in the morning. I buy rice milk and use this powder in it for breakfast, with frozen bananas, and either strawberries, or straight hersheys coco powder. Then i use a little stevia to sweeten it.
    Plus added ground flaxseed to that.
    Has really helped me out. My standard breakfast for the last two years.
    Contains most of the amino- acids in it too.

Take care.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2009]