Should I take cortef for adrenal fatigue ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ANNXYZ, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I have been advised to take cortef for adrenal fatigue .
    I have reservations about this , and know that some people use different supplements to support adrenals .

I hate to have to take another drug . Any suggestions ?
  2. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

3. my doctor and I have not gotten to work with it as much as he would have liked to in the past, either, due to the severity of my illness/repeated infections, of late...

I'm getting ready to start somewhat 'high' dose Cortef therapy, after this dose of corticosteroids are through..

(-a 12 day Decadron taper ( which is like Prednisone) right now, for something I've have developed...that is like "infectious arthritis" (did NOT know that existed* until 5 days or so ago!!!)after my Epstein Barr Virus (we believe--waiting on bloodwork) got way out of control this winter, causing me to get very ill, then left me now, with residual, terrible, crippling, arthritis everywhere but most painfully in the shoulders..

I will be starting on 3 10mg Cortef pills a day this time 'round, as we've had no results with 5,10,15, in the past, and this latest thing with the arthritis, even my doctor said is some huge auto-immune response, from the virus, with my body having NO adrenals really, and just no reserves, etc, he says, I just continue getting sick, months after initial symptoms of a cold/virus/ etc are gone, (now, with my bodies joints being absolutely attacked!)

I don't notice anything *good* so far, with Cortef, but, also, never have noticed anything *bad* with the Cortef either.....ANYthing* that might give ya a boost is sooo worth a try, at least for a week or two? Completely up to you though,

Best of luck, (also, I figure, it's the closest to being "not" a 'drug' than all the other meds, for ME that I'm on, :) I'll take it any day over the other liver/kidney/tummy lining killers,)

Wish you the best,

Laura
  4. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

When I first became ill I had high levels of EBV and was confined to bed. I read a story in the Wall St Journal about Dr Martin Lerner , an infectious disease doc who had CFS himself . He treats EBV with high doses of valtrex , as it helped him recover .

My doc kept me on it for over a year at high doses .
    Within about four months I was able to stay out of bed and did improve . It takes 3-4 months to notice gradual improvement - not a quick fix . I really believe it can help EBV - you can find info on the net about dr Martin Lerner in Detroit , MI . He treats CFS patients and has written articles you may be able to find .
  5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

What is the brand of your adrenal support product & where can I find it ?

Also , does it really help at all?
  6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Cortef is a form of steroid and can have some very negative side effects that go along with that. Do a google search. I read a long time ago that if you take cortef, in addition to the possible negative side effects, it pushes your adrenals to keep working when they are tired, thus exhausting them further.

Adrenal glandular products, on the other hand, are not steroids, and let your adrenals rest while they provide support.

I've taken adrenal glandular products for a long time with no bad side effects. I got them all from chiropractors. I've used Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process, Adrenogen and Cytozme AD by Biotics. They've all been good. My chiropractor determined the correct dose by muscle testing. They all helped my weak adrenals. They really do work. When my adrenals were very weak, I had to take 2 to 3 times the recommended dose temporarily. Usually within a few days I would start to feel better.

You can also buy these products at Spinelife website.

A good B complex and extra pantothenic acid are also very important for the adrenals.

I hope this helps -

Mary
  8. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Yes Anne MANY cfs and Lyme Docs give cortef for adrenal fatigue. Try it at small doses and work up to suggested dose. You should see energy improvement.

Jar
  9. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

This info REALLY helps me . I had big reservations about the cortef , and need an alternaive . I will order a supplement . Do you take products like cytozme AD for a long time , or indefinitely ? How long does it take to see some improvement ? Are you taking DHEA or pregnenelone ? If so , have you felt a little better ?
    I do not expect a cure , I would just be grateful to function somewhat better than I am now . Any help is such a blessing .

10. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Jarjar , I posted you a message yesterday . Hope you read it .
  11. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

How do you know you have it? I have CFS (among others) and I'm wondering if this is related in any way.

Thanks.

God Bless.
  12. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Check out the work done by Dr. Wilson on Adrenal Exhaustion. There is a web page, which I cannot find at the moment, that goes through diagnosis and treatments, including cortef. If you type in things like DR WILSON and ADRENAL EXHAUSTION the site should come up. Good luck.

Be aware that it is a very potent treatment and that a little goes a long way and it takes time. It may help you or it may not as everyone is different. Your doctor really needs to know what he is doing or he could make you worse, especially if your fatigue is severe.
  13. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Adrenal fatigue involves low cortisol and DHEA hormone levels , which are definitely common to FM/ CFS/Lyme.

The latest CDC research cites that these low levels are part of CFS , we do not know WHY . Many speculate a combination of stress ( cortisol is a stress hormone ) and
    possibly infection cause the hypothalamus to malfunction and the supply of these hormones to become depleted .

Some folks here have taken cortef , a drug , to remedy the problem . Others have supplemented with the previously mentioned products. My lab work ( and this is common for FFC patients ) showed almost NO supply of cortisol, human growth hormone , and memory hormone
    ( pregnenolone) . Something in our brains goes awry
    in the HP axis . There is also a book out called
    " Adrenal Fatigue" by an author named Wilson . I have seen it on Amazon.com , but have not read it .
  14. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've been taking Cytozyme AD for a few years, but am down to 2 tablets a day. When my adrenals were very weak, I was up to 6 or more a day. It really does help with adrenal fatigue, and I would see results within 3 or 4 days if not sooner, if I took enough. As I said, when I was very weak I had to take 2 or 3 times the recommended dose for several days. Muscle testing helped determine the dose I took. The bottle says to take 1 to 3 tablets a day. If your adrenals are very weak, that might not be enough to make much of a difference for awhile and you might need to increase the dose. If you can find a chiropractor or nutritionist who does muscle testing, that can help fine tune it for you.

I also take pregnenelone, 30 mg. a day but didn't notice anything different after starting it, but my doctor recommended it because my levels were low.

I don't take DHEA.

I hope this helps -- good luck -- (by the way, I would have been totally lost without my chiropractor - the doctors didn't have a clue about my adrenals or anything else)

Mary
  15. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

You are a real help . I will try cytozyme and maybe a higher dose if needed ( for a while ) . I am also going to try the low dose 7 keto DHEA that does not have side effects . Maybe the combo of these will help me be able to function,. I am a real lethargic dishrag now .

I thank you Mary , and also I thank my other friends who took time to help . God Bless each of you !
  16. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

i've been taking a product called sub-adrene ,by american biologics, which is an adrenal cortex extract. Been taking it off & on for years & it does seem to give the adrenals a boost & does not have any side effects that i know of...pretty good stuff !

JT
  17. jarjar

jarjar New Member

ann
    I missed your posting for me. Please post on Lyme board if you have more questions.

jar