Should I Tell The New Girl I am Training Why I have the Shakes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cinnveet, Mar 23, 2006.

1. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

When a new person is hired in our department, they ask me to train them for 2 months.

Right now the new girl "Denise" is sitting in my cubical at my desk with me to listen in on my calls to hear how I handle customers.

It is that time of the month for me and I have terrible cramps. These cramps are starting a flare.

My back muscles are going into spasms and I cant sit still, my hands are shaking that when I am point to diffrent things for Denise to learn I cant keep them still. My neck is also in bad pain. I cant get words out of my mouth when trying to teach her new things. it is very embarassing.

Today was her first day with me. The physical affects from this DD are very noticable right now. I can tell she is feeling embarrased for me, when I am trying to control myself. She is very nice and she must be wonder what the heck is going on.

I dont discuss this with my co-workers and do a good job of covering alot of my body jerking around. But there is no cover up while Denise in sitting right next to me.

I feel like I oue her some type of explianation without going into details.

So I come to all of you for any suggestions you may have for me.

Thanks in advance!
    Cindy
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

then just say. I'm sorry for my (fill in the blank) I have a chronic muscle disorder.

Just keep it nonspecific.

3. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I guess i will play it by ear tomorrow.

And if she ask's me what wrong, I will pray I give her an answer that wont cause problems later.

I just wish I could be open and honest, but know I cant.

Thanks again,
    Cindy
  4. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I would tell her, but I would not make a big thing out of it or go into details. e.g.,

"You may notice I jerk a bit. I have ..... but I deal with it and it doesn't affect my work. Just so you know and don't go imagining all sorts of weird things, ... Now, what were we doing?"

She is not entitled to personal information and she will take her cue from you as to how to respond to it.
  5. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

i hope it comes out the way you just said it.

maybe i should practice, lol

cindy
  6. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

within an hour my muscles in my back started to bunch up like a ball that I couldn't sit still. I tried very hard to maintain myself but all that did was make me nervous and start to sweat. Then the shaking in my hands.

I knew the new girl was just so embarrassed for me by the expressions in her face and looking the other way, like she didn't noticed. but we both knew.

Finally after 3 hours of me jerking all over in my chair I turned to her and was ready to say something. Instead before I could speak she grabbed my hand and whispered its ok, you don't have to explain, I understand.

Man O Man, when she said that it was such a relief. I felt so much better. It made the rest of the day a lot easier to train her. I pray she will have the patience with me while I go thru this phase as I don't always have spasms in my back or neck. Sometimes they will last for weeks and sometimes for a couple of days.

I think she is a very sincere person. But she is new, and I don't know much about her, so I will not let my guard down.

I just wanted to update everyone for the great advise you gave me, and was ready to use your advise but didn't need to.
    {yet}

Do you think I should just remain quiet if I am still jerking all over again on Monday??

Thanks!
    Cindy
  7. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I'm glad it all worked out well for you - it can be worrying working out what to say.