Should I use Vicodin daily?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by an1000, Sep 25, 2009.

1. an1000

an1000 New Member

Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like I could follow a light-to-moderate exercise routine if I took one Vicodin daily to help with the recovery and pain in that 24-48 hour recovery period after exercise (which is the period that is often so tough for us with CFS). I know there is much debate about what is safe usage of Vicodin. Is it safe/logical to think one tablet of 5/500 Vicodin will help me recover from exercise?
    What if I made sure I took the Vicodin 2 weeks on/2 weeks off, or 1 month on/1 month off?[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2009]
  2. luckyman

luckyman New Member

I have been taking it for nearly 10 years. My father took it or something similar for probably 30 years or more. Possible hearing loss, but it allows me to function, when I otherwise couldn't. No other serious side efffects. I've changed over to Norco which is 10mg hydocodone and 325 mg tylenol. Less tylenol and more hydrocodone. From what I've read tylenol may have more serios side effects than the hydocodone.

Norco and klonipin are the only 2 drugs that have given me any help. besides a very small dose of amytriptyline at bedtime. It does not seem to help me with recovery after exercise. Aspirin may if taken 1/2-1hr before exercise. I'm currently testing out this theory, as it has been shown to lessen soreness of normals who o not maintain a regular schedule.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

First I would ask, what is it prescribed for.....daily use? Occasional use? How did you Dr. tell you to use it.

I can't tell you if it's logical to think that one tablet will help you recover from exercise.
    I do think that telling yourself two weeks on/two off, or one month on/one off might not work.
    Are you not going to exercise those other times?

Vicodin itself is very safe if you're using it for the right reasons and as directed. As mentioned, the dangerous part is the Tylenol and you're at a low dose. But again, what is your Dr. thinking - that you're taking as needed?

Are you only in pain after you exercise? I guess more info would be helpful. Have you already started doing this and found it helpful?