Should I winter in a warmer climate

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srollins, May 18, 2003.

1. srollins

srollins New Member

My Hubby wanted me to post this because he is HOT to go to Florida or Arizona for the winters.I say that it will not make a big enough improvement to justify leaving everyone and thing that i hold dear and close to my heart.
    I feel like he is trying to turn my life upside down.
    This makes me feel unstable as well.
    If it were not for this DD, I would have a wonderful life right here in northeast Ohio.
    He said for me to get 10 opinions at least and he would shut up if the opinions are in my favor.
    What would be your vote; Arizona
    Florida
    NE Ohio
    Please just give me a short reply to explain your answer.
    I told him there were people on this board that live in warm climates and they are still ill.
    What say you all?
  2. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I would LOVE to be a snowbird even if only for a couple of weeks every year altho I don't know if I stand the trip or not.

It is very difficult to make any kind of change but if it's not forever why not give it one chance?

I have a cousin in Arizona so that is where I would choose.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Love
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 05/18/2003]
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

and I have to admit I felt great. In fact, I'm going back next Thursday for a week. I wouldn't want to live there but the warm weather compared to our rain was wonderful.

Dara
  4. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Wish I had the option of even trying something like that.:)
    I live in Northern KY where the winters are very gray and I do believe being in an area that has sunshine in the winter would be helpful , if not physically , then mentally. But physically too, you can at least get out in the yard for some sun !
    I say try it and see if it helps.
    Good luck
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some of us do better in dry climes and some of us do better in the humidity. I can't take the dryness as it gives me asthma. I live in Florida and do not have it here even though I'm allergic to mold.

I love living here; the weather is beautiful year round. We do get a little sick of six straight months of 90 degree plus days, day after day after day. The winter here is to die for. It makes up for the rest of the year. In the summer, we just stay inside with the A/C on or go out on the water or to the pool. I love swimming at night in the summer. When you get out of the pool, the air is like a warm soft comforter around you.

Many people do not acclimate well to not having seasons. Actually, we have two seasons here: Hot and Hotter :) It can take a year to acclimate to the heat and humidity down here.

We also have hurricanes here but there are some areas which are a little less prone to them than other places. We have no state income tax and it is cheap to license a car here. We just gouge the tourists for our taxes. Like most states, though, we are cutting on spending and I don't expect the situation to remain as it is.

If the heat and humidity in the summer in Ohio bother you, you won't like six months of it down here. The pace of life is slower here and I like that. The people here are very friendly and the roads are pretty good. The schools where I live suck big time. Wages are low down here too.

Hope this helps you.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That one person's paradise is another's hell hole. That's why I said that only you can decide for yourselves. I'm not going to slam other areas where people choose to live, but it must be obvious to you by now that perception is everything.

Love, Mikie
  7. allhart

allhart New Member

i live in tucson and i referrer to it as hell! our cooler is broke and it been 100 out! it dosent cool down till the middle of the night,the heat drains all your energy,
    if you can afford to live here during just the winter monthes and not the summer,then maybe,
    try a vaction here at this time a year frist hubby might even realize how hot it is and change his mind,
    flordia to much hummity,
  8. lucky

lucky New Member

Living in a similar climate like you, we have been spending the past 5 winters in a warmer climate, i.e. on Hilton Head Island. What the warmer climate does, it gets you outside a lot more and you are able to walk and in my case, I was able to bicycle for many kilometers almost every day which I was not able to do the previous years and walk the beaches which in itself is a great experience with dolphins swimming right next to you.
    For me, the spring flowers, the different flora etc., the warm sun, are a very important part to survive the winters.
    And, as you know, if we do things we like and enjoy and which, above all are different as well, it is good for our emotions and our immune system.
    However, the climate either in Hilton Head nor parts of Florida is not ideal because of the high humidity, and Arizona is the better choice because the heat is dry in the desert.
    But if you can handle hot days with high humidity, Florida or Texas are great to spend the winter months.
    Hope, this helps. But, if you can, a winter break is just wonderful and gives you a lot more energy than staying in cold Ohio.
    Hope, this helps.
    Sincerely, Lucky
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

No doubt about it, Florida is hot and humid in the summer, but I like it. In the winter, it is not humid and we get the wonderful Trade Winds-type balmy breezes. It's heaven. Yes, to be able to winter here and go to the Mountains of Colorado in the summertime is my idea of the perfect life. Dryness is not necessarily good for everyone. I vacationed here for at least six years before moving, so I came with no surprises in store.

There's no such thing as a perfect place for everyone, although San Diego comes close. It has a good temperature pretty much year round and it is beautiful there. Expensive though and most everywhere in southern CA is crowded on the freeways.

Good luck in making your choice.

Love, Mikie
  10. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

We are moving to Nevada the day our house in Oregon sells. We live in a nice area, never even lock our doors, but the weather is just killing me. We looked at parts of Arizona, but the tax structure of NV suits my retirement income much better. The fact that property is a whole bunch cheaper helped to sway our decision too. Hope that helps.
    Kathryn
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I lived in New Orleans all my life, untill 9 years ago, moved to the northshore of Louisiana. The winters are a little colder here, but very short!

The pain is just as bad as I read from others on the board who live in the northern areas.

I really don't think that climate has that big a difference on the pain! Actually I am totally miserable with the heat and humidity here. I keep the a/c at 69-70 year round!

Its been in the 90's here for over a week, you could cut the humidity with a butter knife. I had fatigue so bad for two days that I could not even get on the board!

From my experience, being a southerner all my life, and having FM for over 20 years, it does not help to move to a warmer climate!

Of course, this is my opinion, and as you can see by the replies, we all have one!

Shalom, Shirl

PS. In my opinion, moving twice a year sounds like a killer in itself!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2003]
  12. friendz4

friendz4 New Member

Hi
    I am new to this site but happen to fall upon your question.
    I was from CT recently moved to Sarasota Fl this past Jan.
    When winter came to where,I now call back home.I was horrible I would get cold and it seemed like I could never get warm. My body was always hurting and stiff. I didnt want to move and was depressed.I am now where the sunsets are beautiful and there are dolphins in the water>I walk on the beach when I am able , the beach is called Siesta Key .It is truly a very peaceful place to live and I really have serenity now.Life seems so simple there are stores around the corner doctors around the corner.Nothing takes more than 10-15 minutes to go anywhere.I would try to go at least a few months out of the year if you are able to.By the way the sand on the beach is like walking on baby powder.
    Good luck making a very hard decision,life is short,take chances.What is the worst that could happen? You move back home.
    Emma =^,,^=
  13. clueless

clueless New Member

We are snowbirds and spend the winters in Florida as long as I can travel from N.Y state (it is a trip that gets longer each year it seems ) When it is cold in Florida ( and it does get cold there at times, frost included ) the cold is so intense, I imagine because of being surrouded by water ).I have`nt spent a winter here in N.Y. in 14 years but listening to my daughter describe this last winter I don`t believe I would have liked it at all. We spent some time in Arizona one year and I loved it,dry air gave me so much less pain + so much more energy. If it was`nt so far for us we would have gone there winters. Because of the lack of humidity I would choose Arizona. Try it you might like it.
  14. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I think that the best place for anyone is where they feel the most comfortable, and not meaning just the weather, in my opinion. I think it's whatever you are used to and suits you the best. I'm from South Carolina, and I could not possibly imagine moving north, as I absolutely hate cold weather. Yes, we do have the awful high humidity in the summer, like Florida, but I have gotten used to it because I've lived here my whole life. Although I do have relatives in Florida and am down there quite a few weeks out of the year. However, if you are not used to heat and high humidity, it probably wouldn't be wise to move here suddenly. BUT, if you are just thinking of being Snowbirds and only moving for the winter and then going back to Ohio for the summer, it wouldn't be bad, because it's not quite as humid in the winter and not scorching hot. I know I'd never survive anywhere that it actually snowed and got below 30 degrees!! I think it's best to be in a climate you're used to though.
  15. notsure

notsure New Member

I moved from Melbourne (bottom of Aus, cold and wet in winter, hot and dry in summer) to Darwin (top of Aus, hot and humid during summer, cooler but stil hot and dry in winter) in November and it was the worst thing I have ever done as far as my health goes. I have been told Darwin is similar to Florida but nicer *grin* We only have 90ish thousand people here in the city and 120,000 people covering 1,346,200 SQ k's, minimal concrete and heaps of trees and foliage.

I love it up here and don't want to move back down south but sheesh, since being up here my health has gone downhill rapidly.

I think the heat and humidity outside put together with having to have the air con on inside all the time makes things worse, the aches and pains are worse, the fatigue is worse and I have noticed other symptoms have started too.

Mind you I only found out about Fibro because things got that bad, after 3 years of hell and a lifetime of thinking I was 'strange' that is a priceless benifit.

but as shown in this thread already I suppsoe it depends on the person, in Melb I could never handle winter, it was extrememly bad for me, but this is worse.....
  16. fungran

fungran New Member

We just moved here from Michigan in February and it is great. I feel good 90 persent of the time except for the rain when it is going to rain my legs get bad but that is only for a day or 2 and then I am better. We walk everyday and believe me it has helped me so much. I would never go back to the cold. Of course as I said I have only been here for about 4 months so we will see in 6 months to a year.

But, you have to decide if the move is worth it I to left my family, son grandbabies and oh yes I miss them dearly but we write and call each otherand we can visit at least once a year and they have a place to come for vacation.

All I can say is good luck and if you decide to come to Florida let me know and maybe we could meet.

God Bless you in what ever you decide

((((huggs))))
    fungran
  17. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

I saw someone else post that they live in Sarasota. I grew up there and lived there for 30 years, it is a beautiful town. I got sick the last year I lived in Florida before the fibro set in. I remember the last summer I had there was absolute HECK! The humidity was horrible! Three years later, I live in SW Pennsylvania and I love it here. Oddly enough the cold here doesn't bother me like the heat did in Florida. As Mikie said, it is different for each person though. Cold may exacerbate the symptoms for some, while heat does for another.

My suggestion would be to try one winter in AZ and then another in FL. Try them both out with a seasonal rental and then decide which, if any is better than Ohio winters.

18. baybe

baybe New Member

This past winter was just horrible here in Vermont. I grew up in the Boston area and moved to Florida as soon as I was old enough I always hated winter. When I married I moved to the Central Coast of California, and what a surprise to find out how cold it was there, the temperature was moderate but the Arctic Flow from the Pacific chilled you to the bone. Somehow, my husband got me back to New England and I have been terribly sick ever since. What I have found is that I actually go into a hibernation mode, I have no energy in the winter and my pain level rises. Went back over the last few years and realize when the clocks change so do I. Didn't realize how much that time change could affect a person. This DD has so many twists and turns.
  19. lucky

lucky New Member

I just read your message and also that you live in South Carolina. Since we have been going down to Hilton Head Island for the past 5 years during the winter months, I have noticed that from mid/late February on when the loblollies (the southern pines) are blooming, I am in deep trouble with allergies. It plays such havoc on my immune system that I hardly can manage the last weeks before we leave. I love the island and everything around it, however, I wonder if you are facing the same problems living in that state during that time of the year.
    It would be interesting to know.
    Sincerely, Lucky
  20. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi srollins,
    I have lived in Arizona for over 40 years. Born in SoCal and transplanted to Arizona in 1956. We lived in a little town of Scottsdale. It was mostly mini farms and ranches back then and a small two lane road down Scottsdale Road. The summers only lasted 4 months then but now with all the blacktopping and building a huge city has cropped up. The heat lasts from May to October and the nights during summer are about 5 to 10 degrees cooler than the days. The average daytime temp is 110 now most of the summer. As soon as the monsoon hits the humidity is 50 percent or more. The temp is still in the 105 to 110 region and it feels like 120. The pollution has gotten pretty bad in the past 10 years so if you have any lung problems think twice about coming here.
    I think I have said this in another post but New Mexico seems like a great place nowadays.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)