Should Someone With EBV Get a Flu Shot?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by slowingdown, Aug 5, 2008.

1. slowingdown

slowingdown New Member

I need some advice. I teach elementary children so I am around a lot of illnesses each year. I have always gotten the flu shot in the past, but I don't know what to do this fall.

My problems started last Jan. with what doctors called an inner ear virus (vertigo, etc.). I then got the flu in Feb. (was swabbed to verify)even though I had taken the flu shot last Oct. I have been sick every 4-6 weeks since then with weakness, numbness, dizziness, swollen lymph nodes, etc. that takes about 2 weeks to get better. I still get extremely tired even on the good days and have to nap after work every day.

After being tested for MS, Lupus, and a host of other things it seems that the culprit is Epstein Barr virus. When tested in June a couple of weeks after another bad flare all EBV titers came back high indicating that I'd had an acute infection within the previous 4 weeks. That flare followed the same pattern as all the others except for the time I had the flu in Feb., so it seems that the EBV keeps resurfacing. Now I don't know what to do about getting a flu shot this year. What is your advice? Will that make me sicker?
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My family doctor knows my lab results on EBV are over 8,000 with normal of under 90. She did not want me to take the flu shot.

There are alot of things you can do to lessen your chances of getting the flu.

One is washing your hands all the time, and especially after touching anything in public. Also, use Zicam gel in your nose a few times a day when it is cold and flu season. I have done this for years. When I am going in the public I always use the gel.

When I leave a public restroom, I use a paper towel to touch the door handle when leaving the bathroom.

If you even hear someone with a cold, leave the premises. These are all things I do. It may sound ridiculous but my husband has asthma and if I bring a cold home to him it is life threatening.

You can also carry the anti-bacterial gel in your purse.
  3. slowingdown

slowingdown New Member

I do many of the things you suggested, but was not familiar with the gel you mentioned. I will look into getting some. I keep sanitizer and hand wipes at my desk at school at all times. I wipe down my desk at least a couple of times a day because my students bring me lots of germs when they bring papers over to me. :)
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hello. i just emailed dr. lerner this question and i will see what he says. he usually takes a few days to reply.:)

5. hensue

hensue New Member

I am 54 female have all these ebv all these viruses. Last year he told me not to get a flu shot!
    i never had so i did not.
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i have had the flu shot every year and it never affects my CFS.