Should We Eat Soy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Periodically I hear comments on the board that eating soy products is a bad thing. This does not seem to be certain, however.

I thus would like to know the answers to the following questions:

* Do you think that soy is bad? If so, what are the long-run and short-run negatives associated with eating it?

* Have you personally had bad experiences with it?

* Have you found research that suggests that it is bad?

* Is soy worse for some people than others?

* Does soy have good qualities?

* Are there certain forms of soy that are better than others?

* Are there specific quantities of soy that are acceptable?

* If you eat soy, what have your experiences been?

* What have you heard about other people's experiences with soy?

Please notice that I cannot consumer any dairy products because of an allergy to the protein in it. I also have a multitude of other food allergies.

Cutting soy out of my diet would be further reduce the number of foods that I can eat. Soy is convenient (since neither tofu nor soy milk goes bad easily and since soy powder can be used to create filling "shakes").

I'd like to consider the pros and cons though.

Thanks much for your help.

Best, Lisa

2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

worse, he calls it a "poison seed".

I get real bad gas from it. Estrogen isn't good for us guys. Dr. Wong also says that its not good for women either. Estrogen causes bad periods and even Hormone Replacement Therapy was agreed apon by human logic...in that no double-blind studies were done to verify that this was the right thing to do. He says that Progesterone is really the hormone to replace based on his patients great feedback.

http://www.totalityofbeing.com/FramelessPages/Articles/SoyPoison.htm

Dr. Wong does sell books but nothing that is in a conflict of interest to Prohealth.
  3. vickiw

vickiw Member

Are you familiar with the "World's Healthiest Foods" web site? They cover this subject in depth, weighing the pros and cons. It's a bit too much to cut and paste here.

If you go to their home page, scroll down the left menu bar until you get to the "WHFoods List." On that page, select soybeans from under the subtitle Beans & Legumes. There's a lot of info there, plus a link to a page addressing concerns.

Bottom line is that there are pro & cons to eating soy products and it really has to do with your particular health issues and the amount of soy you eat. Also, they recommend eating the whole soy bean over any processed products (that's a familiar refrain!)

Genetically modified crops are a big concern with soybeans since it is done so extensively. No one knows what the long term effects might be (if any).

[This Message was Edited on 02/15/2007]
  4. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thank you so much lisa for posting this topic. I have asked this question myself. I cut out dairy (and meat..vegan) 2 1/2 years ago and it really helped me alot with this illness. So I do consume soy products as you do.

Lately it seems that many have been saying how bad soy is here on this site so I was getting worried about consuming soy. In fact this week I have really tried to cut back on my soy consumption which is hard when you don't eat meat or dairy.

I have done pretty well but would like to know what others think about this as well.

I personally have been eating soy for 2 1/2 years now and so far I don't know of any problems that I have with it.

Would LOVE for others to respond to this.

Thank you for this topic Lisa!!!
    Pam
  5. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I'm so glad you brought this up. I've read articles that said soy helps to reduce pain and helps with night sweats, so I've been mixing my Dr. Teitlebaums Energy drink into a large glass of soy milk everyday.

I know it has helped tremendously with the night sweats, but have lately been confused with all the "bad" comments on this board about it.

Also an herbalist said that the night sweats were the bodys way of eliminating toxins if the liver was malfunctioning...so...if the soy reduces these awful night sweats...maybe that's actually a bad thing.

I'll do some research as suggested in one of these posts that were attached to yours and also hope for more comments on this board about it.

Thanks for the input.

Foggygirl