shoulder and neck pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by oilfieldworker, May 6, 2003.

  1. oilfieldworker

    oilfieldworker New Member

    i had a fall over a year ago and can not get any relief from pain it's hard to move in above my head i have lots of pt still no help doc even did surgery but that has not seemed to help either i pull my left side when i fell help
  2. Shirl

    Shirl New Member

    Just answered so that your post will go back to the top of the board. It was going to the back page.

    We have a few medical professionals on the board, and hopefully one of them can give you some advice.

    My husband works for a company that lay underwater pipelines for the oil fields. He is a Chief Engineer on a very large barge. Rough work for someone in pain.

    Take care, and I hope you get some help soon.

    Shalom, Shirl
  3. layinglow

    layinglow New Member

    Hi oilfieldworker--welcome to the board.

    Have you been seeing the same Doc for over a year, and is he the one that performed surgery?

    My suggestion would be that if so, it's time to get some other opinions, if you feel you are not making progress, and if you are in chronic and severe pain this is not being addressed. Perhaps time to see another Doctor, who can research your case, and your ongoing symptoms.
    You didn't mention what type of surgery you had.

    There are many that develop FM and CFS after traumas such as this. However, you need to be sure to rule out other neuorological causes, and this would mean some further exploration into the injury, surgery, and outcome.

    I would begin with a neurologist---asking for an MRI.

    In the meantime you might see a Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O)--they can often afford relief, and also do a tender point exam for Fibromyalgia. They too, can prescribe pain killers, lidocaine blocks to manage pain, and are great at pinpointing areas that need attention. At the top of this page, we have a purple tab that says "Dr. Referral". Click on that--and on the following page you will see a link to "Co Cures Good Dr. List" Here you will find Drs. who treat Fibro and CFS, Recommended by Members, and Drs. who have listed themselves. They are in order by state.

    It is possible that you could have FM after such an injury, that occurs often. You do need to rule out any other causes for this, such as nerve impingment---etc. If I were you I would see both a Neurologist and an Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O). Make sure if one prescribes medication for you that you inform the other what you are taking.

    Best wishes, LL

    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2003]
  4. healing

    healing New Member

    worker, you might investigate acupuncture. I have degenerated disks in my neck and acupuncture performed by my DO has enabled me to continue to continue to function. I also receive regular phys. therapy. If you can find a qualified acupuncturist, this might work for you -- assuming that there is no larger problem to deal with.
  5. MemoryLane

    MemoryLane Member

    You sure have a lot of bad luck with illness and injury.

    I am so sorry.

    Wishing you and your family well,
  6. donna13210

    donna13210 Member

    You may want to consider a special kind of chiropractor, one that does SPINAL MANIPULATIONS (USING THEIR THUMBS). They are NOT what I call "bone benders", the ones that hurt you by contorting your body and appendages. These chiros look for "shortness of leg", I know it sounds wierd and quite unconventional, but they've helped me with headaches and eliminated arm pain a friend of mine had that NO OTHER DOCTOR could figure out or get rid of.

    I would not recommend ANY chiropractor, however. The stories I've heard.........well, you probably know.

    Take care. Hope you improve soon.
  7. oilfieldworker

    oilfieldworker New Member

    YEs i guess i have had it bad for having 12 kids its not to bad working in the oilfield is a very hard work you do get hurt it been 18 year for me not getting hurt thank you