Shoulder/Arm Problem (Slipped Biceps Tendon?)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goodkamra, Mar 3, 2003.

1. goodkamra

goodkamra New Member

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with shoulder/arm pain, and I'm wondering if anyone may have any advice on how to deal with this problem. Here's the situation:

About 2 years ago, I hyper-extended my arm doing shoulder circles in my heated therapy pool. For about 2 weeks after I had severe bursitis type pain which eventually went away, but my shoulder has never been the same since.

The pain is located in the front and radiates into the chest area, and I believe it is also causing the arm/wrist pain I feel when I do things such as typing or using the mouse (I don't have numbness or tingling so I don't think I have carpal tunnel). My arm feels very cramped, especially the forarm.

I've been told I have a slipped biceps tendon by a chiropractor, and indeed I can feel the tendon "popping" as I do small shoulder circles. I saw a physical therapist for this problem but they were not able to do much for me (It was a PT mill and a waste of time IMHO, but that's where my insurance company sent me).

Anyone have any experience with this sort of problem, or have any suggestions as to what may help?

Thanks so very much,

Yvonne
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

so i want to give this a bump back up to the top for those who can answer
  3. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

~But you've described my right shoulder exactly! I hurt it lugging groceries, and it just kept on getting more & more painful, so now, I HAVE to favor it! The pain goes into my forearm and now my hand...and, no it's not carpal tunnel.
    All I do for it is a moist-heat pack, "hot" rub-in creams, or my Lidoderm Patches, cut up and put here & there. Some with such an injury might like a COLD treatment better.
    So, Yvonne, I've just been waiting Months for it to heal on its own...and it is getting worse! So let me know how you are doing, and what you are going to do! Are you any better?
    Love,
    Fibromiester
  4. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I just went to the occupational therapist today (Monday) for shoulder/arm pain in my right arm. My primary care doc diagnosed it as rotator cuff tendinitis, which I doubted at first. But at my last appointment, the assistant to the OT brought in some models that showed the muscles and tendons that make up the rotator cuff.

The rotator cuff includes four muscles (I don't recall the names) that go aross the front part of the shoulde;, I think along the cap of the shoulder; and at least one extends underneath the armpit (with the main part of the muscle in back, I think). I didn't write any of this down, and my memory isn't the greatest these days, but I was amazed to find that that the muscles that make up the rotator cuff are exactly where my worst pain seems to be, including just above and around my armpit, in the chest area above my breast and up into the top part of the shoulder, and even in back around my shoulder blade. I was really surprised.

However, I also get pain in the outer part of my arm, about halfway between my elbow and shoulder, and when I move a certain way, or try to lift something that seems too heavy (which amounted to just an 8.5x11 picture frame on Sunday), I also get pain in my elbow. And if I use a computer mouse or the controller on my scooter (a wheelchair substitute that I use because of mustilple sclerosis, not fibro), then I get pain in my thumb and wrist. The OT's assistant (and I think the OT) said that rotator cuff problems could account for that pain as well.

I can't trace my problem to any injury; so your pain may be completely different from mine. But if you're not getting any help with the current diagnosis, you might ask whether the rotator cuff might be involved. I find that the gentle stretching exercises I've been given and ultrasound treatments seem to be helping, at least a little.

On the other hand, I think I should stop saying things like that. It seems that every time I say that something is helping--it stops helping! GRRRRR!!!! :eek:(

--Laura R.M.

5. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I read on another board that I should see a vascular doc to make sure its not TOS. From what I understand, TOS can be many different things especially problems with the ulnar nerve in the arm. I have an appt with vascular doc thursday so I'll let ya know what I find out..if anything.
    Carlacat

PS...Does anyone have swelling with this?? I do.
  6. goodkamra

goodkamra New Member

I appreciate your input. This is a tough situation, nobody seems to be able to help me...and the problem is just getting worse. The worst part is that I'm a photographic artist and need to do a fair amount of work on the computer, and that is causing me more and more pain.......it's hurting as I'm typing right now! Sigh.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted if I find anything helpful for this problem.

Take care,

Yvonne
  7. BonBons

BonBons New Member

I went canoeing in small rapids one year and fell out. I dislocated my shoulder (I was able to pop it in when I got to the end of the whitewater). For years it did that and got worse. Long story short - I had a glenoid fracture (hard to see in an MRI or x-ray) and had orthopedic surgery to correct it with a pin. When I told him of my other symptoms, he send me to a neuorologist (I'd always assumed it stemmed from my shoulder). Eureka! The neuro found nerve pinches and spurs and herniated disks in the cervical area. So if you know a good ortho, one who specializes in shoulders or knees, you might consult one. Good luck. BonBons