Shoulder arthroscopy and back pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ll1816, Aug 27, 2006.

1. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hi all:

I had a left shoulder arthroscopy 4 weeks ago tomorrow and I'm still experiencing pain, especially in my upper trapezius muscle on the left side (the surgery side).

I start physical therapy next week and am worried about what they are going to put me thru.

I also have a tear in my left wrist (soft tissue), for which I'll be having surgery in 4-6 weeks. I know that the PT will be challenging, given my wrist situation. I wear a wrist brace 24/7 and still experience pain.

Do you think the upper back pain is the Fibro or as a result of the surgery, or both?

Thanks for your input.

Hugs,
    Liz
  2. ll1816

ll1816 Member

3. sdlass

sdlass New Member

HI
    I had arthroscopy surgery for a rt. shoulder impingement at the end of April of this year.

I started pt. several days after the sutures were removed.
    I had pt. for 20 sessions.

When it ended I was given instructions for home exercises.
    What type of surgery did you have? rotator cuff surgery is more serious than the type I had.

My shoulder is still painful. I can raise it over my head.but I still cannot put it all the way behind.
    Yes, I still get pains at the incision site even now (4 months after surgery) I believe recovery takes longer for us folks with fibro.

My home exercise progam was stopped as I developed carpal tunnel syndrome.(severe, cannot make a fist, no strength at all in hand)

I am how scheduled for rt. carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow.

Good luck with your recovery, remember to take it slow and tell the pt. if pain is unbearable.
  4. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Thank you for your responses. Lass, I had/have the shoulder impingement like you. It still feels likes it's catching on something. The doctor says there was alot of inflamation when they got in there. I wonder how many PT sessions I'll have. Hope all goes well tomorrow for your carpal tunnel surgery. I'll say a prayer and will be holding good thoughts for you.

Mable, I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter still has pain, despite 2 surgeries. I hope that I will recover, but I think Fibro definitely complicates things. Best to you and your family.

Hugs,
    Liz

5. mykas_mommy

mykas_mommy New Member

Shoulder surgery is never fun and has a long healing period. The PT that you will do will probably even help your fm. They will start you out slowly and teach you some range of motion exercises to do at home as well as the "workout" you will get in therapy. 99% of patients start feeling better after the 2nd or 3rd visit. I will warn you that you will not feel great after your first visit but it will get better. If you are still in pain after your 3rd visit be sure and tell the therapist so they can let the Dr know. They may even have you work on some range of motion for your wrist. The Dr's I worked for would send patients to PT before doing an ACL repair because it helped the patient heal faster. Good luck and keep your Dr informed of any severe pain.
  6. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Thanks for giving me an idea of what the PT will be like. I will be sure to let them know if I experience pain during the sessions. I suppose I will be icing my shoulder after the 1st visit.

Regarding my wrist, I have a TFCC tear. I've had it for almost 2 years, so the doctor said it's unlikely that the tear can be repaired, but they will go in and clean and smooth things out.

He said I'd be back at work 2 weeks after that surgery, but no typing for a month. Well I do data entry all day as a loan processor, so once it's scheduled and I take in the FMLA forms, I'm going to ask that I be given a month before having to return to work. I don't want to have to use one hand to type, putting strain on my right hand, wrist, arm and back. Do you know what I mean?

Hugs,
    Liz
  7. mykas_mommy

mykas_mommy New Member

I had Carpal tunnel surgery the Fri before Christmas and was terrified of popping my stitches loose. I didnt want to disappoint my Dr. But I typed anyway because I had no sick time at my new job. But I do understand not wanting to exacerbate the whole situation. Good luck with the Pt. Just remember you are going to be adding motion to tight muscles so some pain will be expected but not terrible pain. It should feel like you worked out too hard and have sore muscles. Let me know how things go!
  8. ephemera

ephemera New Member

You all have my sympathies for your pain.

I've had right shoulder pain for most of 2006. I had an injection for inflamed biceps tendon in early spring, then Friday I had another injection for inflamation in the shoulder joint.

Fortunately, I was able to do ultrasound tests instead of MRIs which never would have discovered what was wrong when I moved my right arm into various positions.

Today I shouting Hurah in the shower as I could shampoo with my right arm. Small victories mean so much in my world.

I have benign hypermoblity syndrome, FM/CFIDS & I'm very leary of what direction to go into for PT of my shoulder trigger points. Still, I know the injection will only help a fraction of this ongoing shoulder pain. I'm very thankful the word surgery was never mentioned in my procedures. best thoughys to all
  9. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Thank you for your sympathy, I appreciate that. I too had a cortisone injection in the biceps tendon, but it only lasted a couple of months. The MRI I had showed the tendon was inflammed. The xrays showwed alot of calcium buildup, which they cleaned out.

I know, surgery is the last option. I'm so glad that you were able to shampoo your hair with both hands. I'm still bringing my head down to waist level to wash it.

I'm hoping that after physical therapy and time, it will be better, and I too will be able to lift both arms.

Hugs to you,
    Liz
  10. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

right shoulder surgery (arthroscope)Feb 2000 for impingment,and had a acromioplasty, and a joint resection. I wish someone had warned me about the pain after. (had not been dx'd with FMS/CFS yet) But, it did fix my problem, and I've not had any problems with that shoulder since. I think I started PT quickly, like maybe within the week after surgery.I only did a few PT sessions, and the rest I did myself at the gym.

I am now having pain in my left shoulder, but have been putting off a ortho visit. My shoulder hurts when I lift it up past my face and head.

Your upper back pain maybe from trying to compensate, or maybe from lack of use when in a sling, and then using it again, and it is sore.

Anyway, good luck with everything!!

Warmly,
    maggie
  11. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Wow...you had alot done to your right shoulder. I'm glad the surgery fixed your shoulder. Yes, the pain was pretty bad for me too. It was supposed to be out-patient, but the pain was so bad they ended up admitting me overnight.

I'm sorry to hear that your other shoulder is bothering you. I understand your wanting to hold off on seeing the ortho, but don't wait too long.

I haven't worn the sling since after day 4 of the surgery, so I'm thinking my upper back muscles are probably trying to protect and compensate for the lack of shoulder mobility. Although, I do the simple flexibility exercises I was told to do at the hospital.

Hopefully when I start the PT on Wed. I'll start to notice an improvement.

Take care and hugs,
    Liz