Shoulder blade pain?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 312542, Dec 26, 2014.

1. 312542

312542 Member

I feel today as if someone threw me up against the wall. Both my shoulder blades hurt when my shirt touches the skin in that area. What causes this? It doesn't feel that way all the time. I would appreciate any info.
  2. 312542

312542 Member

Are you eating white refined sugar???? think that may cause fibro pain.
    RadioFM likes this.
  3. Rabbitlady2

Rabbitlady2 Member

If your pain feels more internal, as though it's between your shoulder blades and rib cage, then it could be what is called referred pain due to something like pleurisy, or a kidney infection, and you need to see your doctor. But that doesn't sound like what you've described. When I have a symptom that doesn't happen all the time, I concentrate on finding out what triggers it. You said it hurts when your shirt rubs against it, so it sounds like it's related either to the skin, or to the muscles and connective tissue underneath. You didn't say anything about a rash, redness, or itching sensation, so I doubt it's the skin. (In the future, if you do ever notice a rash developing, especially on one side, don't assume you're having the same problem - it could be shingles. Shingles pain would be continuous, and get much worse without antiviral treatment.)

Since it's more likely related to the muscles and connective tissue, see if there are activities which bring it on. Ones in which you're holding one position or making repetitive movements are the most likely suspects. The muscles of your shoulder blades are involved whenever you use your arms, especially your upper arms. Computer work, driving, or working at a counter, etc. would hold your upper back in a strained position, and could give you pain in the area you've described. In either of those cases the pain can be delayed, so you might also have to think of what you did earlier in the day or the day before. I've found out by experience that I must have my areas arranged ergonomically, and take frequent breaks, or I pay for it later in pain currency. In regards to the shirt, notice if it only happens when you wear a certain type or style of shirt which creates pressure across your shoulder blades. That may sound crazy, but, with my fibromyalgia, I've had to discard some clothing because it was too constrictive, and caused pain when I moved in certain ways.

I apologize if I gave you too much info. I'm a retired anatomy and physiology professor and I guess you can take the teacher out of the classroom but ....

I hope you discover the cause and can reduce or eliminate the pain.
  4. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

"Many Fibromyalgia Patients Have Small-Fiber Polyneuropathy"

"In a small study of patients labeled as having fibromyalgia, almost half actually had small-fiber polyneuropathy (SFPN), a potentially treatable condition."

"Small fiber peripheral neuropathy
    is a type of peripheral neuropathy that occurs from damage to the small unmyelinated peripheral nerve fibers. These fibers, categorized as C fibers, are present in skin, peripheral nerves, and organs. The role of these nerves is to innervate the skin (somatic fibers) and help control autonomic function (autonomic fibers). It is estimated that 15-20 million people in the United States suffer from some form of peripheral neuropathy."

See more here:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015