Shoulder MRI back, now what?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by myjoy, Feb 23, 2007.

1. myjoy

myjoy New Member

Ok, some of you have heard me rant about this, but I got some news today.

My rheumy's nurse was supposed to call me (she told me this) as soon as my report came in. Well it came in the mail today! (no call from her) I had fallen at work in Jan...to make a long story short, I've been off work for 5wks. Work for hubby.

Anyway, I had to stop rehab because I couldn't take the pain from it. Am I a wimp or what? Could the fibro be causing this to heal slowly? I just want to cry.

I tried calling the dr's office when I got the mail, but now he's on vacation til March 5th. This is work comp...should I just go back to work? Should I be having therapy, what???? I'm just ticked.

Sorry, I've been crying a bit today. Now this. Thanks for listening.

myjoy
  2. myjoy

myjoy New Member

fibro fog strikes.

My test came out fine. Nothing bad on the MRI. But why is it hurting so much. I still can't raise it to the side.

still ranting sorry.....
  3. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

I too had fallen at work and it took my workers' comp. docs 2 and a half years to find out what was wrong with my shoulder. I was working 2 jobs at the time. I fell during my part-time job and only went back for a very short time. I kept my other job. I had PT, like you, had to stop due to the pain. I had an EMG, I was given cortizone (sp?) shots and finally, I got to see a surgeon. He took one look at my shoulder and knew exactly what it was. He scheduled me for surgery and he took out a bone spur and I had bursitis and an impingment on a nerve. I could not raise my right arm (bent) any higher than my waist without pain. I can't and I won't and shouldn't give any advice, but have you called a worker's comp attorney yet? I did and he gave me wonderful advice. Just a thought. An MRI does not show everything. The surgeon told me it was much worse when he went in to do the surgery. I had the same experience with a sinus CT. Don't let this upset you so much because it will just make your FM flair.

I hopes this helps. Just baby steps o.k. No more tears. One day at a time from someone who really knows.

Hugs,
    Kelly
  4. dononagin

dononagin New Member

was the mri of your shoulder only? I have degenerative disc disease and have a slipped vertabre in my neck. Severe pain in my shoulder and down my arm. Could you have injured your neck?

I know what you mean about PT. I've been going for 5 weeks and I'm in tears everytime. Your not a wimp. You will not be able to go back to work if you are on comp without a doctor's release. Does your doctor have a partner perhaps that you could see?

Hope you get feeling better soon.
  5. TKE

TKE New Member

>This is work comp...should I just go back to work? Should I be having therapy, what???? I'm just ticked<

If this is WC then were you sent to the company doc asigned to the WC insurance? Were you assigned a WC nurse via the insurance company to over see your case? If not you should call them NOW!! Even tho you work for your Huz the WC Insurance guide lines still need to be followed.

WC Insurance companies normally have very strict guide lines they go buy. Most require you see their doc (chosen/assigned by the Insurance Company & the Owner of the company) for 90 days, then you can go to a doc of your choice. You're required to follow the WC docs treatment protical for that 90 days.

Now if you've been to the WC doc & he's sent you to rehab & you quit....you need to go back & tell them your problem, but don't quit. Most docs assign another doc to over see their patients while they're on vacation. If yours didn't then I have no idea what WC will allow. The WC Company should be able to advise you on this.

I would NOT return to work until a doc releases you to do so or you can void your WC insurance benefits.

As for your healing...yes FMS can slow it down considerably. You didn't state the details of your injury, but I'm assuming from what you did post that your shoulder is injured & you can't raise your arm? Are they doing moist heat packs at rehab before they have you doing any exercise? If not request they do. I found it helps allot to loosen things up. Also the doc should have rx'd you muscle relaxers & pain meds. If not then complain to the WC Company. Let them know how you're doing or not doing. My Huz's WC nurse even allowed him to buy special PT exercise equipment to use at home & they paid for it.

The best thing you can do is concentrate on your injury. It should be your top priority. Let other stuff go that uses up your energy/etc. Often injuries take 8-12 weeks to get better, even wihtout FMS. My Huz had both his hands operated on last summer. 2nd one was done 7 weeks after the first. He was off work for 14 weeks total & had therapy 3-4 days a week the whole time, starting 3 days after surgery. The doc told him, even tho he was being sent back to work & his hands seemed normal, it would take a full year for his hands to get back to the pre injury/surgery mode.

Do not sit at home & suffer. Call the WC Comapny & find out what it is you should be doing to get better & lessen the pain.

6. myjoy

myjoy New Member

I just can't concentrate enough right now. Everything seems like too much.

I know I'm not making sense. sorry.

I'll try to read this again tomorrow.

myjoy
  7. pat460

pat460 New Member

Some good advice(from a doctor)I once heard--A MRI is only as good as the person reading it. A lot of doctors just go by the report sent to them. Also, the same doctor said he doesn't like the MRIs done in the area where I live because they aren't as clear and he can't see as much. So maybe the quality of equipment makes a difference as well.

Again, it's just a thought.
    pat460