Should'nt I be better?? sinus problems again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi everyone~
    I'm battling another horrible head type cold with a nasty sinus headache. my upper teeth even are sore~
    well,... this time I gave in and went to the drs. and they gave me an antibiotic and a nasal spray.
    I started both prescriptions last friday night,...so its been 5 full days and I'm feeling 'not much better'.
    maybe a tiny bit but overall,..no.
    I'm kinda off balance today and feeling very tired.

Should'nt these meds have kicked in by now?
    I'm whooped!
    Still 'head heavy',..and stuffy too.
    I really feel horrible.
    Maybe its a flu??

don't know if I need more time or what?
    any thoughts or help is apreciated :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  2. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Like Mom always said...Bed rest and lots of water! My Dr. always tells me to give the meds a week to 10 days and I should see improvement. See how you feel in 2 days.
    Do you have allergies? I think I used to have a sinus infection more often then not...Later I found out I have allergies to so much stuff I started allergy shots about 4-5 months ago, and havent had sinus problems since.
    Make sure you take all of your meds until gone...even when you feel better...thats a mistake I always make!
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Jpach
  3. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Tandy

I've had sinus surgery and infection after infection for years, even after the surgery.

After going to the FFC and starting treatment for candida yeast, I've noticed my sinuses aren't as bad. I've also been eating low carb since I'm taking abx for lyme and have to keep the candida at bay.

AFter a couple of months on Diflucan, I had to stop because of my liver count. Well, my sinuses immediately got worse which led me to believe it was actually candida yeast in my sinuses.

If you have stomach problems along with the sinus problems, maybe your issues are candida related.

I just wanted to mention this to you because I wouldn't have put the two together.

Oh, another thing that also helped me was taking Echinacea and Golden Seal. I stopped using antibiotics because they never really helped that much. As soon as I would even begin to feel it coming on, I would start on the herbs.

Lately, I've found something even better than that (then I'll be done) that has helped me. It is irrigating with salt water, baking soda and you can even add a few drops of tea tree oil. That will clear it right up. My allergist said its better than using meds that have to go through your whole system. I bought mine on-line. Its by Grossan and is around $89.00 but well worth it.

Sandy
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm glad to get all the input.
    I'll bet some of it is either allergys,..and/or candida.
    I use the warm salt water in my nose.
    I've heard that adding baking soda to that also helps alot. How much baking soda ?
    also wondered whats suppose to be better for face/sinus pain,..Heat or cold?
    cause I need something to get to sleep tonight.
    pain meds only help a lil bit.
    Thanks for all your help :)

5. pepper

pepper New Member

I have had so many sinus infections over the years. If you are still "head heavy" after 5 days, I think that you may need another antibiotic. They should have kicked in by now. I always give them 3 days and if I don't notice a difference I see the dr. again and possibly change meds.

You could certainly have a candida infection with or without a bacterial infection. If there is no bacterial infection, the antibiotics won't make you feel any better.

Lots of water and Vitamin C if you can tolerate it as well as irrigating your nose with salt water is about all you can do. I put hot compresses on my face as well.

I sure hope that you are feeling better soon, Tandy.

(((HUGS)))Pepper
  6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

That your having this Sinus problem.
    I too have similar problems, and it took a MRI of the Head to solve the problem.
    I have Mastoiditis, and I get infections at the drop of the hat.
    In fact I wear Hats to cover the ears during the cold weather.

I take Soma at night to relax the Muscles, around the Trigger point, SCM. WHich, is a Merry go round with these two, problems.
    Mastoiditis, and CMPD, then add in the FMS, which makes the whole thing Hurt even more.

I hope you find the cause of the Sinus problem, it sure isn't fun having a drippy nose all the time.
    And the flym, that I collect at night when sleeping, about chokes me to death till my Vistril, kicks in.

Hope your feeling Better today,
    sharonk
  7. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I have had so many sinus infections and problems, what really helped me was to cut way down the dairy products, they create an excess of mucous.
  8. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I used to get really bad sinus headaches - I know the pain you must be going through. An operation was considered for a while, but decided against it. Now, my sinus is much better and I put it down to two things:

1. sinus is related to candida, and does not respond to antibiotics very well unless you solve the candida problem: this is also mentioned in other responses. Check it out on the web, there is some good stuff re. using diet to control sinus.

2. I no longer use commercial sinus sprays but make one up that my doctor gave me the recipe for: use 1/4 cup filtered room temperature water, add a couple of grains of sea salt (not ordinary salt that has allumimium etc. in it, but use pure salt) plus a pinch of bicarbinate of soda, and two drops of glycene. Measurements are only approx. Mix it up and use it as a nasal spray. Don't overdo the salt or it will sting your tender nasal tissues. Use as frequently as you like. No side effects, no drugs, This cures my early sniffles and, touch wood, I have not had sinus problems for ages.

9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

A few years back I had a terrible time with my sinuses. It took almost a year of different and increasing amounts of
    antibiotics to clear it up.

That's the best I can suggest. I tried everything else. The good news is I haven't had one since.

Regards,

Eileen
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

Its easing up a lil bit,...
    and now I feel a chest cold coming on! can you stand it!!?? lol
    Its always something~
    then again,..its that time of year.
    Alot of people around this area are coming down with all sorts of flu,colds, and stomach virus's,etc.
    I'm using sea salt water and advils along with my augmentin/antibiotic.
    till next time :)
    Thanks again
    Tandy
  11. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I think your MD would be the best one to tell you if the antibiotic should be having some effect after 5 days. Even if you do not have a yeast overgrowth now, the antibiotic could cause one, so be sure to take probiotic after you have finished the antibiotic.

Massaging along side the bridge of the nose and above and below the inner brow can help get sinuses to drain. It works best if you are leaning back in a chair or lying on your back.

I have had the best luck with MSM for keeping sinus infections at bay, but I haven't tried nasal irrigation yet.

p.s. jfrustrated - touch wood? Around here we knock on it.