"Show Me Where It Hurts" DVD I've watched it...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mar19, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

When I got an email from Pro Health announcing this new DVD I decided right off to get it. Thought it would be a good tool for my family and friends, if they were interested. The last part remains to be seen, but I watched it yesterday and I was pleased with it.

After I'm done with it, I think I'll watch another time or two, and hopefully my family will view it too. I plan to loan it to my FM/CFS doc so he can make it available to anyone who's interesed. I'd guess it would be a great help to patients newly Dx'd.

For anyone debating whether or not to buy it, I'd say, "go for it". I don't regret spending the $$, I'm sure it was well spent.

Love and blessings
    Mar
  2. jane32

jane32 New Member

but the guy I taked to at prohealth said he thought it just talked about fibro and not CFS....he wasn't totally positive though and told me to call back next month after they all watched it. They get free copies!!!

Did it talk about CFS? Does it talk about recovery?
  3. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I just ordered that DVD this morning! :-D I am really looking forward to getting it...can you tell me about how long it takes to arrive?

I also will offer to lend it to my doc if it is good and if he is interested. I am educating him on the dopamine theory and Mirapex - he had never heard of Mirapex for fibromyalgia and over time I convinced him to let me start taking it. He is now "on board." :)

It is up to US, I am convinced, to take charge of our health care. It is up to US to educate others - including, sometimes, our doctors - about this dd. We cannot afford to be passive - we must actively pursue knowledge about new treatments and new research into this "thing" that affects our lives so profoundly.
  4. tanu

tanu New Member

I would like to know the same...as i mainly have CFIDS>
  5. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

Your post is very helpful, thank you.

AND, I love the picture of your cat and parakeet in your profile. Priceless!!

Hope you are having a good day,

Arlene
  6. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I was going to watch the DVD again before I answered, I'm in major flare and fibro fog! aaacckk!

As I remember it talks mostly about FM, possible causes, what effects it has on the body, etc. It touches on the fatigue in as far as connected with FM. Also talks about treatment and "semi" recovery. -- Recognizing that FM is really incurable, but treatable. -- I believe by following the protocol of the doctor featured in the DVD.

That's not terribly useful, is it? :) I've really been flaring big time the past month or so, sorry.

I think it's most valuable use would be to educate people as to the nature of this beast -- ah! and what a beast it is!!

Like I said, I really want my family to view it, I'm going to watch it again (and re-post LOL ) then I'll offer it to my doc -- he's got a small "lending library". I would have loved to have something like this when I was first Dx'd. Even now after having it for so many years, there was more than one "aha" moment.

I'm not sorry I spent the $$ on it; I don't think anyone would. If you mostly suffer from CFIDS, it might not be what you're looking for, but I'd recommend it for anyone with FM.

I noticed that someone else ordered it. I'll be waiting to see their review as well. For now, I'm going to crawl back to my comfy bed...

mar

PS -- One of the things that it advocates is exercise; aerobic exercise I think. HA! Right now it hurts to breathe. I think I'll pass on the exercise part, at least for now. To be fair, it did recognize how difficult, and almost impossible the exercise would be for most of us, but said it would be an integral part in recovery.
  7. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

just saw your question... it took less than a week to arrive from the time I placed the order. sorry I missed answering first time around.

mar
  8. juliejo

juliejo New Member

Morning everyone.

I am from the UK and ordered the DVD a couple of week's ago from a support group here and it arrived 4 day's later.I am afraid it is only about FMS and only barely touches on the fatigue side of thing's.

However i think it's brilliant as it explain's very clearly about the causes of FM.

My family have watched it and were amazed afterward's as they finally understand alot more of what i deal with every day.

Another web site on the DVD for anyone interested is.
    www.LifeBeyondPain.com

If you can get it please watch it as it shed's a whole new light on FMS.

Oh and my Gp has seen it too. He think's it going to help alot of the medical proffession understand this illness alot better.

Julie jo.
  9. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I am really impressed with their explanation of the Dopamine Theory. The video's excellent graphics and use of medical terminology, as well as its detailed explanation of the Dopamine Theory, are really useful in understanding how the neurochemical makeup of fibromyalgia patients has gone awry and caused havoc in the system. It made me more of a believer in the Dopamine Theory than I already was.

However, I was disappointed about a few things. First of all, I thought the video really overemphasized the role of stress in FMS - particularly in CAUSING it. I'd have been a lot more comfortable if they'd have said that FMS patients were inherently much more vulnerable to the negative effects of stress. Given the apparent genetic links in FMS, I think that's closer to the truth.

Secondly, they said little to nothing about the many non-pain symptoms of fibromyalgia. Those are important to understanding the overall impact of the disorder on the patient, in my opinion.

Thirdly, the video is very short - only about 40 minutes long. That's not much for $30 plus shipping. They could easily have covered more ground and given a longer presentation for the money they charge.

However, all of that being said, I learned a lot from the DVD and I'm glad I bought it. I'll also pass it on to my doctor if he's interested in watching it. :)