shower,water temps, heat packs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Applyn59, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi,

I was just wondering. I just posted about Dr.
    Lapp saying your tub in your house should
    be 95 and to use a thermeter to get the right temp.

I don't take baths because I can't get in and out
    of a tub with my back problems.

Am I the only one who likes very hot water?? I don't
    mean in the sun in a hot tub.

For example, when I take a shower, I always use
    more hot water, someones just a little bit of
    cold. Our water heater is set at either 120 or higher.
    Not sure. If I don't have it that hot, I can barely
    feel it.

When I used to go for PT, prior to my FMS diagnosis,
    they used to take those great big hot packs
    out of the water and then put 10 towels on top
    of it. I always made them remove most of the
    towels. They never had anyone like me before.
    Just wondering if I am the only one who is
    like this.

I am not saying that hot water doesn't
    make me extremely fatigued, because it does.
    However, I need really hot water in showers
    and also hot packs. I don't get burns from
    these temps and hot packs either.

Anyone else like to join my weird club?

Lynn
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Maybe not as hot as you, but pretty hot.

Maybe has to do with my low body temp??
  3. NutsInAlabama

NutsInAlabama New Member

I am trying to understand all that encompasses this DD. Boy, it is alot for a newbie like me. My mind is already boggled.
    I have had an extreme sensitivity to hot water as far back as I can remember. Oh My at the pain it causes to my skin. It has to be lukewarm for me to tolerate it.
    I have also had allergies relating to many soap products and forget those deodorant ones.

always opposite ;)
    NutsInAlabama
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I know extremely hot showers are not good for my blood pressure nor my skin; however, I love to stand under the hottest water that I can tolerate!

I used to stand under the hot shower until I ran out of hot water, but can't stand up that long now because of a lumbar spine problem. But I still take really hot showers for as long as I can physically stand up.

I used to get the water so hot that I actually burned my skin. Ouch! Also, my skin stays so dried out that I must use tons of lotion. I would have to have my hubby rub my back down with lotion every night.

One trick I like to re-moisturize my skin is: the minute I step out of the shower and while wet I put Johnson's & Johnson's Baby Oil all over my skin, including pouring it on the back of my neck and down my back, then drying off with my towel. Oh, does that make your skin so soft! Once you get used to doing this, you will never quit! I get the J&J bottle with the mint green cap--they have a couple kinds out.

Before I retired, this was the only way that I could get the old bones and muscles limbered up enough to move in the early A.M. to get ready for work!

As I watch TV in the evenings, I also keep a heating pad (on medium setting) on my lower back to help relieve my low back pain (from my spinal problems).

[This Message was Edited on 06/11/2003]
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

sound just like me. I had a physical therapist tell
    me once that I was addicted to my heating pad.
    I have severe back problems and practically had
    to live on that thing.

Back in college, almost 20 years ago, my friends
    used to make fun of my heating pad and the cord.
    They knew I was so attached to that thing. I could not
    have graduated from college without my heating
    pad and my nurse friends who gave me massages
    every day.

I also love ben gay!!!

Lynn
  6. rosebud41298

rosebud41298 New Member

I'VE ALWAYS LOVED AS HOT AS WATER AS I COULD STAND. SKIN WAS LIKE A LOBSTER AFTER A BATH. THEN BEFORE I WAS FINALLY DIAGNOSED WITH FIBRO I BECAME VERY SENSITIVE TO HOT AND HAD TO USE JUST A LITTLE MORE THAN LUKEWARM. NOW AS TIME HAS GONE ONE I LOVE MY HOT WATER AGAIN. A FEW WEEKS AGO I WAS TRYING TO GET SOME EXERCISE AND MY MOM WOULD GO TO THE FAMILY CENTER BY HER AND TAKE WATER AEROBICS. SHE SUGGESTED I TRY IT. WELL THEY HAVE 2 POOLS. ONE IS WARMER THAN THE OTHER AND THATS ALSO WHERE THE WHIRLPOOL IS. SHE DECIDED TO SHOW ME SOME OF THE EXERCISES. NO MATTER HOW MUCH I MOVED AROUND I WAS SO COLD TO A POINT OF ALMOST MAKING ME SICK. SO NOW I'VE REALIZED I AM VERY SENSITIVE TO COLD!!

I TOO USE MY MOIST HEATING PAD DAILY!!!![This Message was Edited on 06/11/2003]
  7. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I've noticed that when I come home from the
    hot tub, I am freezing. I guess my body loves
    that hot water all around it.

Lynn

[ advertisement ]