shril question again about xanax

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vnr27, Aug 25, 2003.

1. vnr27

vnr27 New Member

shril tha xanax what exactly does it do tostop the aneixty feeling it works just cant understand if nothing is gong on i still get panic attack trying to fight them thanx val
  2. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

As far as I know it works on the brain to control anxiety.

But this will bump it too the top for you.

Love,

Sandra
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Xanax fits into the GABA (Gamma AminoButyric acid) receptors in the brain. GABA is the brain's major calming neurotransmitter.
    Besides being very addictive, Xanax has about a five hour half-life (How long it lasts in an effective dose in the body), but is usually prescribed to take every eight hours. This means it can actually end up causing panic attacks since it produces a rebound effect as it wears off.
    If you are taking it every eight hours, keep a diary of when you take it and when your attacks occur. If the attacks are happening during the 5th to 8th hours after you take Xanax, taking half a dose every five hours may work better for you. Ask your doctor first, since this is a highly controlled substance and they don't usually let you change your dose without consulting them. Taking a smaller dose every 5 hrs. fixed the problem for me.
    Have you thoroughly investigated the cause of your panic attacks? Untreated Mitral Valve Prolapse (which 75% of Fibro patients have) can cause them, and so can symptoms of peri-menopause, which can start any time after age 30.
    I am sorry you are having this. I think panic attacks are probably the second worse symptom of this disease (migraines are the worst!).
    Klutzo
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I think Klutzo said it all! But I don't seem to have that problem with the Xanax.

I take a 1/4 milligram at 7pm for 'racing brain', and the only other time if I feel like an anxiety attack is coming on or if I know I am going to be in a stressful situation I will take the above amount, say like going to a party, or just driving/riding a distance.

My anxiety attacks are way down these days. I might have one maybe about twice a month, or if someone/something upsets me (talking on the phone for too long a time will bring one on).

My brain seems to work differntly than most (probably I am just a little nuttier than anyone else :), as I have been taking the same dose of Xanax now for close to 17 years, off and on.

But Klutzo is right in all she says concerning this drug, it can be addictive for most people.

I saw a big differnce in the panic feelings since starting magnesium, it seems to have calmed my brain down a great deal. Also drinking water.

If you need anymore help just please feel free to ask, we have some very well informed people on this board to help you.

You take care, and keep us update on how you are doing too.

Shalom, Shirl