Sick Again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mdjaj2231, May 29, 2008.

1. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

I swear. If there are a million people and one germ in a room, the germ will jump on me.

There are only 6 days left of school, and my kids were supposed to start final presentations today. The last 2 days have found me at home in bed with what feels like the flu: achy, weak, headache, you name it.

Anyone have any tips? I know some of you never get sick. Please don't feel like you have to share; it just bums me out more. What can I do for my immune system, so that in addition to the pain and exhaustion, I don't have to deal with this further nonsense?

Thanks guys.

2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I will give you the best advice possible. I must be very careful about getting colds,etc. because my husband has asthma and it becomes serious when he gets sick.

Germs enter your body through your mouth or nose.

1. Remember to wash your hands ALOT. Use plenty of soap and wash as long as it takes to sing the happy birthday song. Whenever you touch things in public such as grocery basket handles, buttons, etc. wash your hands. Even around home. Don't touch your face, eyes, mouth, nose, etc. You can carry antiseptic gel in your purse or car, but if you have a chance when you are out, also wash your hands. At grocery stores many now have containers of disinfecting hand wash towels. Take one and wash down the basket handle and your hands when entering the store.

2. At home wash down hard surfaces with the new wipes they have that kill all viruses, germs, etc. Germs and viruses can remain alive on surfaces for several hours.

3. When I am going out in the public, or may be exposed to anyone with a cold, I use Zicam nasal gel, and also try to avoid getting near someone with a obvious cold. If it is someone in your household, consider having them wear a mask, or you wear one.

4. Try to keep your immune system strong with nutrition, vitamin c, etc.
    Get plenty of rest and if you do feel a cold coming on, use the Zicam every 2 hours and gargle with Cepacol. In clinical test, (also when I was in college microbiology) Cepacol was the mouthwash that really did kill germs. I have used it for years.

5. When I go to the doctors office, if I must wait, I go outside and have them let me know when it is time to see the doctor. The doctor's waiting room is a great place to get sick. Same goes for pharmacies or any place where sick people congregate. Even in the store at the aisle for cold remedies.

6. If you must go to a hospital (or nursing home), be very careful. Hospitals now have a high incidence of infections that are resistant to antibiotics.

7. Wash all fruits and vegetables the best way you can. I actually have seen people sneeze over the produce in my market!! yuk!

8. When you are in a restaurant if they have a salad bar, if it looks messy, pass on the salad.

These suggestions may seem silly or useless but they are not at all. I follow these and very rarely have a cold.

I was a nurse at one time and was taught the importance of preventing the spread of infections. What I have suggested may not be 100% but will go a long way to help.

You can take all the supplements in the world but if you don't physically work to prevent the spread of infection to yourself or others, it is useless.

If I had children in the household with colds, I would do what they do in hospitals - wash down all hard surfaces with lysol or something that disinfects. The sick person should use paper disposable cups, and keep their toothbrushes away from everyone elses. In fact, buy a new toothbrush after the person is over their cold. Keep the person with a cold out of your kitchen if possible. (or wipe down surfaces after they are there).

Also, remember when you think someone is over a cold, they may still be shedding the virus. So, even when someone says I am ok now, they may be very contageous - still be careful around them.

There may come a day everyone will become more aware of the need to prevent the spread of infections. We are getting more and more antibiotic resistant germs as time goes on.

[This Message was Edited on 05/29/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2008]
  3. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

Thanks for your response. I do wash my hands a lot and will continue to. I'll keep your other suggestions in mind and will buy Cepacol (interesting, I thought it was Listerine that worked,so that's a good tip.)

I'm planning on getting a ton of sleep this summer. Hopefully that will help too. :)
  4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've got a nasty flu right now. I catch them all year long now back to back. I'm home all the time. We have no kids. I can't go out because I'm mostly bedbound. My hubby scrubs up and changes before he comes near me as soon as he comes home. I sleep well actually because I can sleep when I need to and it's quiet here. I eat right every day. I do everything i can and when I feel well enough I get out on my bike for a bit. I still catch flus all the time. I've heard doctors say that the flus are pandemic now because of all the air travel and that they are in the air.

I have found Oscillococcinum helps with some of the flus I get. It always gives me a boost of energy at least. It's a Homepathic med that tastes good and you take it every 6 hours.

Other than that I use herbal teas and throat coat drops and cough drops from Traditional Medicinals.

Some folks with CFS catch everything and some never get sick. It seems our immune systems are either on hyper alert or hypo alert depending on the person. Mine's hyper and it sounds like yours is too. I know how miserable it is.

5. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I have to disagree with the alert differences in systems - I've been both. For almost all of my life (at least 43+ years, I was constantly sick, catching everything that was around. For the last 2 years, I have not been sick even when those around me are (I also work in an office). No clue why I went from one extreme to the other, but it's possible.

Also, be careful when treating 'flu'. What most people refer to as the 'flu' is actually just a cold, so the treatment is vastly different (flu is an upper respitory illness caused by a various strains of the flu virus and colds are caused by an entirely different type of virus). Stomach flu is not a flu at all but gastroenteritis and is usually foodborne.