Sick Bees And Sick People

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I posted this under a post on FMS being mentioned in "Ode" magazine, which is a small publication with articles that deal with global issues. It features people who are making a difference in big and small ways to make our world safer, more healthy, and more peaceful.

In the same edition, there was an article on the sick bee population. I think this deserves its own post because we may have a lot to learn from the bee crisis. More is known about how sick the bees become, but the cause is still unknown. Sound familiar? There are many similarities to our illnesses. The dead bees are infected with more than one virus and some with fungal infections. The bees' immune systems are totally ineffective to fight off infections. No other critters will go near a sick hive.

There are many theories but no real evidence of the cause. It is possible that it is a combination of triggering events. Bees today are big business and huge semi-tractor trailers full of cramped hives are driven great distances to pollinate huge crop fields. These bees show stressed immune systems as opposed to smaller local hives.

The big beekeepers are manipulating the bee colonies and the queen bees. They even manipulate the bees' diet with food which is inferior to the pollen and honey which local bees ingest. This may have a negative effect on the colonies. Certain pesticides, which are used at "safe" levels seem to affect the bees' immune systems.

Perhaps in our modern world, too many stressors on our immune systems come together in a "perfect storm" to produce illnesses in humans and bees alike. Bees are critical to our survival, so there is quite an effort to determine what is causing the bees to get sick and abandon their hives. Hopefully, when this mystery is resolved, and it must be resolved, something good will come out of the research which will help us.

Love, Mikie
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Interesting post, Mikie.

Frequently I consider the American diet..... how that has been altered.... even when we buy and consume fresh. Oh how far we have come without realizing it.

I've had a bit of a perfect storm myself and will post at another time, but smiled to read you are back to work. Because of a constellation of many factors, I "retired" from my real job end of October.

Again, will post at another time.

Love, June
  3. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

There was actually an hour program on t.v. about the entire bee issue up here about a month ago.

Really interesting material.
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Some plants are genectically altered and have no pollen. There goes the food source.
  5. 545

545 New Member

Hi Mikie, what an interesting post. I'd heard about the bee sickness, but I never thought twice about it. Bees, though, have always intrigued me (along with ants) because they're such highly-tuned social creatures. You have a good point, there are many connections, ranging from what's actually making bees sick, to the way that scientests are so eager to say that a dose of some new chemical isn't considered dangerous. I'll have to keep this in the back of my mind as the news with the bees develop. Thanks.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For your interest and comments.

June, please do let us know how you are doing. I hope everything is OK and you can enjoy retirement. I did make the most of being home all the time but I hate constantly digging into savings. I may live a long time, like my Mom, and I don't want to run out of money. I told my daughter that the "Golden Years" are a race between money and death :) I do enjoy my job. We have so many older frail people who shop at our store and they love it when we pay special attention to them. Every little thing, like bagging their food just right for them, means the world to them. A little gentle pat, a kind word, or something to make them smile can enrich their lives. It's little things to us but means a lot to them. Being able to work part time has been a benchmark for me in my healing. This job is physical and I'm a bit amazed I can do it. I can only do it if I have days off to recouperate, though. Still, it's progress. I'm always painfully aware that a relapse can happen any time, but I try to stay positively focused. That's about all we can do. I look forward to your post. You are in my prayers.

Msbsgblue, I also saw just a segment on a news show about the bees. It appears from this article that more is being learned about the factors which may be part of the bee problem. It is very interesting.

Woofmom, yes, the article did mention GM foods. Most of the corn now grown has been genetically altered in some way. Beekeepers have been messing around with the bees' genetic makeup too and this may be part of the problem. When will we learn?

545, bees may be the new "canaries in the mines." Personally, I think those of us with these illnesses are the canaries but we seem to be dispensible. Bees are not.

Again, thank you all so very much for your input. I'll continue to try to keep up with the bee situation as I really do believe it has major implications for us all and may shed some light on those of us with these illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  7. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Did anyone see Bee Movie with Jerry Seinfeld and Rene Zellweiger's voices? It was so funny. I laughed thoughout the whole thing.

It really made me think about how important bees are. We should not manipulate them like that. You just can't mess around with something already perfected.

8. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

There continues to be small segments of this on the news here.

This is a very serious problem, without bees to pollenate the crops, man could be without food in a few years. Think about it. There is hardly anything that bees do not pollenate.

I have said for many years that man will be his own un-doing. I believe that to be true. We are slowly SELF destructing.
  9. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

from the "bee disaster" we need to live simply, value nature and the oneness of ecosystems, and realize that most pesticides do great harm. There is so much good to learn from this, but will "greed" get in the way?

One day the world will be a better place.

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've lived here for almost 12 years and have never seen dead bees on the sidewalk until this year. A lot of the food supply comes from FL and I am worried. I know it's a widespread problem and doesn't just affect us, but it's brought home to bear when I see the dead bees.

Love, Mikie
  11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It is a lot of WEs.

Peace to all,
  12. kbak

kbak Member

60 min. did a thing on the bees. One of the big business bee pollunators thought the problem was related to a new pesticide that has just been on the market within the last 5 yrs.

The pesticide's side effects happen to be all the same effects the bees were suffering, mainly central nervous system problems. The bees get disoriented and can't find their way back to the hive and fly off, others die.

The pesticide may only be part of the problem. Kind of like us, a complicated multitude of stuff. Greed and insanity rule and people and animals are dying.

Take care,
  13. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

stop using the pesticide?

I like to be positive and have hope. We can change this and all of the crises that we are facing, but everybody has to be on board. We have to change quickly. Will we?

Let's keep our peace. Visualize our planet whole. AND be active. Activity for us would be signing online petitions, since we have to be carefule not to overdo.

Perhaps if we search the internet, we can find groups wanting to help the bees, and they will have petitions, etc. that we can sign and/or contribute money.

14. alangan1

alangan1 New Member

Recently I bought a flea control product at Petco, snipped the tip off the end of the tube, put it on my 2 dogs and whoooa. Within minutes they were both drooling leaving large puddles of saliva on the floor and trembling and shaking. I bathed them immediately then found a message board with many similar accounts, some dogs even died from the product, it was by Sergeants. it was very upsetting that a product so potent and toxic was being sold. I just give up on mankind.
  15. hi all,

i like bees.they dont attack me when im gardening.they just get on with their day,and let me get on with mine.

last year they where living in my rockery,and they allowed me to paint my garden fence,near them.they didnt hurt me.

now wasps are totally evil.people down my town are freaked out because the wasps just GO FOR YA.

ive never been stung in my life,thank goodness.but i feel its only a matter of time bfeore the wasps do get me.

my dog is totally freaked out by them,and was stung many times last year.the wasps had nested behind a fern in my garden.

when they left i burnt the fern, and surrounding area.

ill leave the bees to live in my garden,because i like bees.

kind regards

[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2008]
  16. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

We had something in regards to this on our 60 minutes program this week ( Australia) but it had to do with the little white grub that is threatening to infect all our food sources and produce global starvation

I didnt watch it cause somethimes enough is enough.....

Anyone else heard of this????

angels watch over us

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But the bees' immune systems are no longer able to keep them healthy. There is some kind of virus which can infect whole hives. Is the pesticide interferring with their ability to navigate and/or is it weakening their immune systems. Someone had better figure it out.

When I lived in CO, we had the ugly yellowjacket types of wasps. I was stung by several of them at once when I was only about three. They freak me out. Down here in FL, we have red wasps and they are not at all aggressive.

Our bees are becoming Africanized and several people here have been attacked by aggressive swarms.

Love, Mikie

18. hi all,

this is a piece that was in my newspaper yesterday (16 may 2008), its titled...

A beekeeper has found he is allergic to the insects venom-after 40 years of caring for them.

the beekeeper is aged 64 years,and almost passed out when a bee stung him.

he said "id been stung before and id swell up.but this time i collapsed and couldnt move".

doctors are now treating him (he,s from bonsall,near derby),with bee venom to build up his immunity.

my younger sister was stung in the late 1960,s and this thing happened to her too.

over the years,when she got being her elder sister..i used to suck out the sting from her body,then spit it out of my mouth.

she,d not faint then, but be ok.

kind regards

19. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Very interesting info and what a sweet sister you are! Bee stings used to make me very ill for days, I sure could have used a sister like you. You are a heroine!!

20. hi all,

teekjay,many thanks for your kind words to me,as regards me saving my sister from bee stings.

it was just like a automatic response from me,to protect her.i saved my daughter one time too,when a wasp was on her aunties carpet.

we hadnt seen it laying on the carpets pattern.

it stung my daughters foot and she was screaming in pain.i lifted her foot,it was filthy,as her auntie isnt house proud.

but save my daughter i i spat on her foot,and sucked the sting out,then spat it out.

now im thinking back,i feel disgusted with her foot muck.but i had to save her.

take care

love fran