Sick for weeks?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karynwolfe, Sep 26, 2010.

1. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Does anyone else get a simple cold and end up hospitalized? Or end up fighting it off for the next couple of months?

Is there anyone else here who accumulates infections? Anyone else who gets things and cannot get rid of them, for years? Anyone else whose immune system seems dysfunctional, can't keep their body balanced?

I have a host of bacterial, viral, and fungal infections running rampant through my system. I really do feel so alone in this, because most "CFS" people haven't experienced one THIRD of the things I deal with every day. This constant struggle with infections is one of the main symptoms of my M.E. (I have the "classic" presentation that was initiated by a viral infection.)

This disease is seriously like a slower progressing AIDS.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I definetly can relate to your post. Thats me in a nutshell,so to speak.

Caught a cold/virus from gkids and it was over 3wks for me to get rid of the worst of it. of course it also starts a flare. its been a well over a month and still not ok.

I have so many infections going on I dont know which one to treat first. My teeth are horrible,sinuses,gut etc. doctors are a whole other story,or should I say lack of.

then theres the herxing urgggh. agree totally with the Aids
  3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Ugh, I don't even want to hear the WORD herxing! =(
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

The following things have helped my immune system. It is still sluggish, but I think about 50% better than a couple of years ago. It used to take me weeks to get over bugs that "normal" people could shake in a day or 2 or 3 and now it's closer to one week.

5,000 iu of vitamin D3 (softgel from Now foods) daily
    got my digestive system working much better by taking hydrochloric acid 1/2 hour before meals (test had shown I had hypochchloridia, too low stomach acid, VERY common w/CFS)
    also take pancreatin w/ meals

Recently I started taking Quercetin with bromelain for chronic sinus issues - I believe it's helping. I had read that this could worsen hypothyroid conditions so was a little concerned, but also read that it could just help normalize the thyroid. My body temperature has actually increased since I started the quercetin, so I really don't think it's hurting my thyroid and may likely be helping it.

I've just ordered some Epicor, which is supposed to increase the number of natural killer cells in the blood, an important component of the immune system.

I have just been reading that people w/CFS are generally Th2 dominant (our immune systems have two "arms", Th1 and Th2), it's a little complicated. I've never tried to understand it before but this article made sense to me:

I generally have a terrible time with detoxing and herxing and it all makes sense in light of Th2 dominance. So am concentrating on trying to increase my NK cells (via Epicor), instead of detoxing directly, in the hopes that it will help with everything overall.

We'll see! At least Epicor is affordable, compared to many products out there.

Good luck -

5. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Hi mary, thank you for your response as well

Houttuynia (chinese herb) has been shown to reverse this Th2 dominant response, it may be worth looking into, especially if you're one of the people who show a lot of allergy-like traits that are so characteristic with a Th2 state of the immune system activation.

It's just one study but it shows hope! This herb is also very much an antiviral (not necessarily antiretroviral; can't find anything there) and anti-bacterial for intracellular pathogens. There's been a lot of reserach done on it, I've recently started taking it and I hope to soon see some sort of change. (But I order it uncapsuled and have to capsule it myself...have a capsule-maker, though!)

Also, a pleasurabe alternative for raising stomach acid (which I also have) is to mix 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar into 6 ounces of water (I then add one packet of Truvia for sweetener) before meals, and not only does it taste like a real treat but the unprocessed ACV also has additional health benefits. :)

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

that's very interesting about Houttuynia. I've never heard of this before. I don't know for sure if my Th2 is dominant, but I have quite a rough time detoxing and herxing, which I read can indicate this. Also have chronic sinus issues. But I don't have MCS.

What I'm wondering is, if one suppresses the Th2 response, will Th1 automatically increase, picking up the slack? or could both then be suppressed?

I can't take 2 tablespoons of ACV like you for my stomach because, it makes me detox. I can tolerate a teaspoon. I just have a very low tolerance for anything that has cleansing type properties unfortunately, which I think fits in with the Th2 dominance response.

Where do you buy your houttuynia from, and how much do you take?

7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That's nice to hear about rice vinegar. Do you know if it's good for digestion like ACV is?

8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Mary - I take Epicor for my sinuses, however, I haven't noticed any improvement at all. I'll use up the bottles that I purchased, however, I wouldn't buy it again.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Karyn - It takes me weeks, if not months, to recover from colds and coughs. Any virus that is going around always takes me two to three times longer to recover from than most people. Even when most of the symptoms are long gone, it takes me a good month to get my energy level back up to my "normal".

The most bothersome for me is viral sinus infections. Nothing shows up on CT scans, yet my sinuses are very swollen and I become so lethargic. Six ENTs later, no one can say why this is happening. All they can tell me is that my sinuses on CT scans are "almost perfect". I was telling gg recently that if the doctors could solve the mystery of my sinuses, I'm pretty sure it would also solve my CFS.

10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I do think the quercetin with bromelain I'm taking is helping my sinuses, and no bad side effects. I gave it to my sister when she was getting sick, and she thinks it really helped her not get as sick as she would have, plus got over it quicker.

Well, I've already ordered the epicor and am going to try it. I'll post how I do on it.

11. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

mary: Well, if my recent bloodwork is anything to go by, it actually made my immune system MORE active, not as far as allergies but as wanting to fight things, so I don't think it has complete suppressive properties. =)

I buy it from Kalyx, and you basically just start with one or two capsules a day and see what's effective for you. I was on 4 a day, of size 00 capsules.

I'm sorry neither of you can use apple cider vinegar! But if you're detoxing, that means there's something there that needs to be killed, so it might be worth it to stick through the herxing and see if you eventually reach improvement after a few weeks. But easier said than done, I know.

I do wonder how the rest of you know this is "sinus" pain and not just neurological based face pain, or even mild encephalitis? Someone shoudl start a thread about that. Sinus issues are not a problem for me at all, and I live in a state where sinuses are nearly the worst in the country. I do get a sinus infection (and usually ear infection) with any other infection I get, but the other 90% of the time, there is no problem. But I do have terrible pain in the sinus AREA, however, caused by various infections I have, mainly, bartonella and mycoplasma pnemonia.
  12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I am glad to hear the houttuynia is making your immune system more active - that would seem to indicate then that in addition to suppressing the Th2, it is boosting the Th1 (at least it seems that way to me). Good news! Thanks for the info re Kalyx. I may just add this to my arsenal.

Detoxing is different than herxing and ACV makes me detox (getting toxins out, as opposed to killing pathogens). I know that the detox reaction means I have toxins to get out, but it is so unpleasant, it's hard to keep up. However, I've read that Th2 dominance will make you overreact to toxins (among other things), so my hope is that if I can stimulate the Th1 arm of the immune system and damper down the Th2, I might be able to tolerate detoxing more because my body won't react so badly to it. It's just a theory, I don't know if it's right, but I do know for certain that my immune system is weak, it takes too long for me to get over relatively minor bugs, although I am better than I used to be.

I was just reading earlier today about ACV helping to lower blood sugar and decrease insulin resistance so I am tempted to try a teaspoon with each meal and see if I can tolerate that. I had the bad reaction when I blithely went off and took 2 tablespoons before each meal for a day or two, and it hit me like a truck.

I know it's sinus pain because my sinuses get clogged up and I have to blow my nose, etc. The pressure stays in my face until it's cleared out. It's not even really pain so much as pressure, and my eyes get swollen, until the congestion goes away.