Sick for Xmas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Dec 22, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

More than my usual sick for Xmas. The Swine Flu has left me with this awful mucus thing where anything I eat or drink, I end up with tons of mucus in my throat, sticky, clear goo. And I have to spend up to fifteen minutes or more spitting it out. And that's even if I drink just water. Never had anything like it in my life till this flu. And I can't get rid of it.

I finally broke down and tried an antibiotic, but it didn't work and all it did was make me so sick to my stomach that after a few days on it, I puked.

Nothing seems to help. So all I've done is make myself worse, cause now my stomach is sick from the antibiotic.

I can't go anywhere for Xmas because I can't spend a half hour spitting up goo in front of anyone. Or possibly vomiting right after I eat.

So on top of this horror, they never fixed the hot water in my apartment. It's still ice cold. And I think they have mostly taken off for the Xmas holiday. And the apartment is freezing cold, too. And I can't get them to work on the heat unless I can prove it's below 68 degrees in here. They deliberately have a non working thermostat in all the apartments. It's steam heat and the thermostat never moves ever and the maint guy said it doesn't work for steam heat. I actually spent money and ordered a wall thermometer so I can prove it's dropping way belong the legal temp in here. But I'm waiting for it to get here.

I'm just so miserable this holiday season. And I'm still queasy as I write this. I just wish I could even have half my health back. I have no life from this. There is no enjoyment of life at all. And I don't know when it will ever end.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm so sorry - that is rough! Aren't they required to provide hot water as well as 68 degree heat? Is there some agency you can notify about the water?

Probiotics should help your stomach. That's how antibiotics screw up our digestion - they kill all the bacteria, good and bad.

My sister had the flu (although I don't know if it was the swine flu) and she had a cough/mucus for some weeks after. I told her to keep drinking a lot of water, it thins the mucus so it can get out. Also, told her to drink lemon juice in water - it makes your system alkaline, will help fight off bugs. She told me later that she thought it helped. Also she was taking a homeopathic remedy from Vitacost (only cost $2.00 plus shipping) and a grapefruit seed extract product. She thinks altogether this made a difference.

Anyways, I am really sorry for all you're going through. It's rough, no doubt about it.

I'm going to be starting low dose naltrexone next week - I decided to hold off until after Christmas, in case I get insomnia, which seems to be the main negative side effect, albeit temporary. I'm hoping it will boost my immune system as I still get sick too much, used to be sick almost all the time. I have noticed I'm stronger since I started making my own kefir (from goat's milk, am allergic to cow milk). I just don't get as sick and get over it quicker, am so grateful for that! because it used to be that even if I wasn't crashed or herxing or detoxing, I was sick. So almost no good time, and this seems to be slowly changing.

Wish I could help - good luck with everything - take care -

3. sascha

sascha Member

probiotics, as suggested, are very important- high-powered ones. and a clean diet. when i stay away from combination carbs and fats, i do better. i do best on good-quality proteins (good meats), vegs, fruits. i do have dairy (cheese and yogurt). but maybe this is useless talk- maybe you're doing all this. maybe a holistic practitioner could advise you?

i am so sorry you're hit with this esp at this time of year. another shot in the dark (you did get good suggestion about determining nature of this huge congestion hit) is oil-pulling. you can find inf. about it online. it might help to gradually root out source of all the mucus you're producing. it's an interesting thing to do. maybe read up on it and see if it hits you right to try. it pulls out bacteria and viruses.

i'm doing that plus EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) and i can't recommend the EFT enough. it's amazing, and it's a tool WE can empower ourselves with. ( i am completely sold on it. i really like the oil-pulling, too.

anyway- pull out all the stops and find something that helps. that is what i wish for you. i hope something really good happens for you this Christmas- best, Sascha
  4. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Hard to know what to say to you, other than we are all thinking of you and praying that you soon get better. I've not had swine flu but have had a nasty cold for about three weeks with a fair bit of mucus too, but nothing as bad as yours. Recently started new part time job and got so run down that I came down with this virus.

There must be something that can be done about your heating situation. That is just terrible. I have had my heat on day & night as in UK we have had snow and ice for several days. Can't really afford the bill but need to get well.

If you are able to get out for christmas I would do so, even if you do cough/vomit!

Things will get better - thats the hope that we all must keep.

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

just wanted to say I totally understand how much that sucks.....I am not sick with the flu, but I have been crashing badly and overall just getting substantially worse (inc an increase in flu like symptoms & constant severe nausea).....and I can relate to apt issues, too....and I will be alone for XMas, as anyway, I wish I could offer suggestions or help, but though I can't do that, I can empathize and can keep you in my prayers......hugs
  6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Mucinex is Guafinesin. Doesn't work on this. I took alot of it when I first got this flu and I think for the initial flu, it helped some, but then it quit working just like everything else.

It's better today, in terms of, I haven't had the massive attack after eating yet. But there's constant slime in my mouth and throat from it. And I still get alittle when drinking water. But it's better for some reason today. I'm just hoping it will go away completely.

The heat started to work in here last night for some reason. Probably because when the temp drops low enough, they have to legally raise it. But my hot water is still all messed up. Last night, it was okay to wash my dinner bowl with. But this morning, it's ice cold again. I can't even bug them till Monday. Everyone has pretty much taken off the Xmas now.

7. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I thought I was getting better, and then last night, it started again. Thick mucus choking my throat, and I felt chest congestion. I cannot get rid of this damn flu. I can totally understand how people die from this. I feel like I have Stephen King's Captain Trips. Every time I think it's getting better, I get it back. It's a horror.
  8. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

I'm surprised you can't get the phlegm to thin out and go
    down with guifensen; I have myasthenia gravis, which causes
    phlegm to hang in my throat, choking me.

I take one puff of a long-term inhaler in the morning and then
    two 400mg guifenisen at dinner and evening, and it really,
    really helps.

Also, I hang my chest and head off the edge of the bed in
    the mornings...believe it or not, this brings it all into my
    throat where I can drain it into a tissue and into the basket
    at my head. It helps get what has lain there all night, making
    me wake and cough to try to get it up.

I saw the article on the triple therapy for the swine flu; maybe
    you could call your doctor to look it up and see if it would knock
    this out of you once and for all?

I hope you get to feeling better real some, somehow or way!

Merry Christmas to you, and a MUCH BETTER 2010!

9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I think my immune system is so damaged and that's why it's just lingering. It's not like normal mucus. It's like this thick stuff. Everything I've looked up, it's like, that's not it. The symptom I'm getting is similar to post nasal drip, but that's still not it.

I am miserable from it. I took Mucinex and Nyquil this morning and none of it worked at all. It just doesn't work on this kind of mucus. All I can do is pray is will eventually go away, but I just wish it would go fast.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I have been reading about the possibility of developing pneumonia also after having H1N1. If I were in your situation, I would go to the ER or doctor as soon as you are able and have a chest x-ray. You've been having this congestion much longer than seems normal for just the flu.

I hope you find out soon and can get some real relief. Please take good care of yourself. You've really suffered so much lately. GB66
  11. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

How are you feeling now? Better I hope. If not I agree with the above post (gb66) in that you probably need to get it checked out.

12. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It's not going away. What it's doing now is mostly just after I eat or drink anything, I end up with a mucus attack to where I nearly puke from it and can't breathe until I get it out. The rest of the time, kind of constant mucus in my throat, back of my mouth. If I don't eat or drink anything for hours, I can almost think it's gone. But as soon as I do, bang.

I think it's bronchial. All I know is, it won't quit.

The thing is, the lungs feel clear. It's just this constant goo in my throat. And what it does if I eat or drink. Never had anything like it in my life.

I can't even make a doc appointment yet. I have the awful "cleanliness" inspection coming up for this apartment. I need to know what day that will be before I make an appointment. I have one, but it's not till the end of January and that's too far away.

I am depressed over the whole thing. I just wish I had even half my health back.
  13. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Sorry to hear that it is still causing you problems. I understand that your apartment inspection is important (you should see my flat at the moment! If I had to have an inspection I would FAIL) but so is your health. Do they give you some warning about the inspection? It is really important that you get your health checked out though.

14. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I still have it this morning, too.

They will give me a letter any day telling me when the inspection will be. They usually only give two days notice. I'm trying hard to get it neat, but I don't have anywhere to put half the stuff and I'm not well enough to be doing this stuff. Unfortunately, this is one of the few places where they can get away with these inspections. Regular landlords don't do them, only Sec 8 and HUD. And I'm stuck here.