Sick Running A Temperature

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 7, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As I've posted here, last week, I was sick with a virus or was having a strong immune response to exposure to something. Yesterday, I felt hot and sweaty. Today, I got up with a temperature. I am back on my Doxycycline for a week.

I've e-mailed Dr. Garth Nicolson to ask whether some of the mycoplasmas could have survived and try to attack when my immune system is busy fighting off something else. The last time I wrote to him, he answered. I know he is very busy so I hope he finds time to answer. If he does, I'll let y'all know.

I keep the Doxy around just in case I get sick as I can't afford to let something get started in my system. I did have dental work done last week and it has occured to me that it might have stirred up something too.

In any case, I do have these little bumps in the road to healing. I write here to give hope to everyone that it is possible to improve but I think it's important to let y'all know it isn't a linear journey.

I have lots to do and am impatient with this kink in my plans but I do come back from relapses faster than I used to.

Love, Mikie
  2. jole

jole Member

Sorry to har you're not well. You have been - and still are, my inspiration! It seems we all fight the fight, but to get so much better and continue to have to fight such nuisances all the time must be very trying also.

Bet it was the teeth! They can really throw a person. Take care of yourself, and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery!

Friends - Jole
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate the good wishes. I have thought about premedicating but I don't think I've gotten sick from dental work before. Either that, or I just can't remember :)

I usually start to feel much better after a day or two on the Doxy.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mikie:
    I hope you feel better soon. Sorry you are having a rough time with these infections. True, it is another bump in the road, but all will be well. Rest, rest, rest!

hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

This, too, shall pass. I hope the Doxycycline takes care of it quickly. I also hope Dr. Nicolson gets back to you quickly.
    I'm sort of in a similar situation, but it is a relapse-within-a-relapse, if that makes sense.
    Here's to feeling better this coming week!
    Kholmes
  6. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Mikie,
    I hope you feel better soon. I know that sometimes when my CFS is acting up I'm running a fever.

Get well soon.
    Tigger
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

virus going around where I live. First my daughter got it and had to go to the ER because she was so dehydrated, she had to go in on a Tuesday and then the next day also.

Then as I'm sitting in the waiting room in the ER waiting for her, I started feeling really nauseated and hot, and yep, then I had it for about two days. Then, my husband came down with it.

So, probably what you're going through is a virus and will have to run it's course. The doctor and nurses said they had been bombarded with people who all had the same symptoms.

Take care, and do hope you start feeling better very soon.

Dara
  8. jane32

jane32 New Member

I seem to always need dental work. What did you have done? I have the worst teeth for a 28 year old and I floss twice a day!

I am getting a crown put on a back tooth this week. I am scared I am going to feel worse too.
  9. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

hiya

I agree with the others antibiotics may not be a bad thing for before and after the dentist.

hubby can never have any thing done without having his antibiotics first.

hope things clear up now that you are on your meds again.

TC Brenda
  10. skierchik

skierchik New Member

that you are sick. You're are so right about this not being a linear journey. I've been so fatigued the last 4 days, but previous to that I was able to ride my bike. Uhg!! The DD is so frustrating.

Apparently, there is a really bad stomach virus going around. My friends had it and had to go to the hospital emergency room. They were vomiting and couldn't even keep water down. Scary!

Take care of yourself.

Healing hugs to you!!

Skierchik
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Here is what Dr. Nicolson replied and it is just as I suspected.:

The problem with these types of intracellular bacterial infections is that you never truly or completely rid your tissues of the infection. The treatment suppresses or should suppress the infection to the point that you
    should not be exhibiting signs and symptoms.

Unfortunately, not all of the infection can
    be killed, because some fraction is always in a cyst or persistent form that is not sensitive to Abx. If your body can hold this fraction in check, then you should be all right and have a normal life.

Prof. Nicolson

Nyrofan, I am resting a lot, thanks.

Cakes, thanks for the prayers.

Fight4ACure, the Guai is sold here and OTC at COSTCO. There is a long acting form and a short acting form. Most believe the long acting form works best in the beginning. I find I do well on the short acting form at a maintenance dose of 800 mgs. I stay away from the Mucinex brand as it has a dark blue/green dye which gave me a rash. Go to the Guaidoc website and read about the treatment. If you want to puruse it, buy Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia. This is a long term treatment which requires patience and commitment, but for me, it has been well worth it.

Kholmes, yes, I do understand a flare within a flare. I hope you are feeling better. I just offered up a little prayer.

Mable, I think from now on, I will be taking the ABX before I have any dental work done. Thanks for the advice; it makes good sense.

Tigger, usually if I'm running a fever, the doc wants me on ABX because of the Mycoplasma infection or for fear that I've picked up a secondary infection. I am prone to bronchitis from years of living in CO where I had it and asthma every year.

Dara, I pray that you and your daughter are feeling better. There is a virus going around here, the rotovirus, which is making kids in daycare very sick and they are getting dehydrated. As I mentioned, I was exposed to two mothers of these kids. I had diarrhea for 1 1/2 days but none of the severe vomiting the kids are having. I thought I was getting better and, wham! the fever. I think Dr. Nicolson is right. Enough of the mycoplasmas survive so that if I get sick with something else, they can act up.

Jane, a fairly new filling in a crown, where they had to drill through the crown to do a root canal, came out and they replaced it. Also, my bottom teeth scrape against the back of my upper front teeth and they had to put laminates and bonding on the back of the teeth to strengthen them. I asked the dentist to use his transfer paper to check the bite on a tooth which was very sore from my nighttime clenching. He had to do a lot of bit adjustment. While he was doing that, he saw a couple of very small holes in an old crown next to that tooth and he filled them. So, as you can see, it was a fair amount of work.

Thanks, Brenda. You are right; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'll take the ABX next time.

Skierchik, I'm sorry your remission didn't last. Yes, these DD's do really interfere with our lives and plans. I'm always reminded of the old saying: If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans. I pray you get back to feeling well. That virus sounds like what is going around here. Thanks for the healing hugs.

Again, than you all for your good wishes. Today is day two on the ABX. I got up feeling very exhausted and hot. I need to get into the shower and I know that will help me feel better. You guys are the best and have helped just by being here.

Love, Mikie