Sick with a virus but I still have to go to school.what can I do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Jan 22, 2007.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I'm really stressed. The school semester ends next week, which brings finals, too.

I JUST caught up in geometry the week before last, because I'd been sick for two weeks with a virus, (it took me three weeks to catch up) and then I was out all last week with a virus. I was running almost a 100 degree fever, which is unusual for me, because I never get fevers, ever, unless I'm horribly sick.

Anyways, I got better over the weekend, though the headache was still lingering, and then I went to school today. I started feeling sick about an hour and a half in, and now I've completely relapsed. I almost collapsed in school today, but I forced myself to stay, because I need to get caught up in time for finals next week. I have two different research papers due, and then three exams to study for.

Since I got out of school it's just been worse. I feel worse than I did all last week. I know that I'm going to make myself extremely extremely sick, but I can't stop going to school.

I have the rest of this week, then up to tuesday next week to get caught up, because exams are wednesday and thursday. I don't know what to do. I'm so torn, because if I miss anymore school I won't get caught up, and I'll fail geometry (I can't fail any classes this year or next, or I'll be held back).

I'm torn between listening to my body and staying in school. Just being there today made me so much worse, but I'll probably force tomorrow on myself, too, because I can't miss anymore.

Now, I feel like I have the full blown flu--I know that I don't, because I'm not sick enough, but I'm in excruciating pain, now, when it was only dull aches before, I can barely move my neck because the swollen glands are painful, and I can't eat without feeling like I'll get sick.

Is there any way to mask the symptoms or relieve the severity of this until finals are over? I'm being completely wreckless, I know, but I'm not about to let fm or cfs take more than they already have from me.

Any advice at all? :\.
  2. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

Hi Dani,

I'm so sorry about what you're dealing with right now. Is there anyway you can get a note from your doctor or see a doctor ASAP that can give you such a note regarding your condition and how it precludes you from attending school?
    In this condition you can't be overdoing it as it's bad for your body (and mentally stressful to boot).

Have you tried to get a tutor for leave b/c of illness? I am unfamiliar with the entities that are available to help high school kids who have this condition. There has to be something that can be done.

Do a "full court press." Get your doctors, parents/guardians and teachers involved in this.

I am hoping someone comes along to talk about how they helped their teenager w/ all of this.

I'm thinking of you...
    cristine
    [This Message was Edited on 01/22/2007]
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Dani,
    I'm so sorry to hear of the pickle you are in. I understand your desire and need to push through to the end. But, Please take into consideration that you can be contagious, and other people can get sick being near you.

I was a teacher for 42 years. I know there should be an arrangement that you could make with your doctor and your teachers.

The school district has teachers that go to homes. The teacher could insruct you and then bring the tests to you, on the same day they are given at school. Meanwhiile, you would be resting and getting better.

If you can't get one of those, you should be able to get an extension and take your tests at a later date. Maybe you could stay home and get a friend to bring your homework to your home, and explain it to you... rest and get better, and then go in for the tests. You could also get your lessons on computer.You might even be able to take the tests on the computer, with an adult supervising. There is always something that can be done, without putting you through the mill.

Please talk this over with your counselor and your doctor.. It might be best to do it over the phone (you don't want him/her to get sick). You sound like you are a candidte for temporary home schooling, and I would ask your parents to help you. Now is when you need some adult help. Pushing your body too much now, can be detreimental to you, later on.

Good luck to you!
    Hugs,
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 01/22/2007]
  4. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I can't do a tutor right now, and honestly it wouldn't help.

It's only a week until the semester ends; there's no way that I can get any accomodations for it. Teachers are not flexible for finals, or final papers. It takes them a long time to grae all of those, so they don't do make ups.

I'm not contagious anymore, I'm just relapsing. It's the same virus that I had forfour days last week.

I can't gt a doctor's note either. As I said, there are no options. There's no way I can make this stuff up--it's not allowed, even for someone like me.

5. connieaag

connieaag New Member

We've spoken B-4 regarding what we are doing with Kathryn on homebound with a tutor right now. It sounds like you are like her in that Nov-March are really bad months for one flare after another. STRESS is the worst thing to place on yourself and that is what you're doing.

Get some help. Are your parents involved in this? I have never heard you mentioned them or how/if/what they have done to help you get the accomodations you need. I KNOW if I weren't involved, Kathryn would be in the same situation as you. You can't do it alone!

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE nor are YOU responsible for this DD. That said, you need to reduce stress from your life and right now, school is the stressor. Yah, it's not fun being behind all the time, I know from our experience. Yah, you want to stay at grade level, but your health has to come first. In the whole scope of things, high school is NOT the most important part of your life. Look into GED programs, online courses. It does not make you any less of a person for getting help.

Under the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND progrrams, there ARE ACCOMODATIONS for you. Your parents, doctor, thearpist just need to let them know your health is dictating your life right now and THEY HAVE to make accomodations. It's not a choice for the school corporation. If it is, your state department of education probably needs to get involved. Have your parents checked into a Parent Network for your state for kids with special educationsl needs. They all have them.

I really feel bad for you -- we go through this too and I'm not trying to be hard on you. I just want you to know that there are many other kids out there with this DD and that you are not alone.

Best Wishes
    Connie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2007]
  6. winsomme

winsomme New Member

when i have felt extra worse - on top of my usual CFS - like maybe i have an extra cold coming on, i have taken Airborne. i take the original, brand name in tablet form.
    it actaully tastes pretty good and disolves better in room temperature water.

i think it has helped me in short spurts. maybe it could help you get through this extra rough patch.

thanks
    bill