Sickness (PRAY HARDER!!!) Update #2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

(See update below)

Yesterday, I discovered that a very good friend is seriously ill.

I had my usual reaction... I was furious!!!

I'm not angry at my friend. I'm angry at Sickness...

I've felt this way for a very long time, but of course I never told anybody.

To me, Sickness is an entity. A living, breathing, powerful, growing, malicious, thing. It lives among us. It attacks anybody it wants to. There is no consequence, for Sickness. It has free reign to maim & kill. It lives only to amuse itself.
    It takes liberties against me, & also against anybody & everybody I care about.

This is personal. Sickness & I hate each other. Yet, Sickness has all the power...

I desperately want to fight it... To kill it... To destroy it in battle, like the knights in the old fairy tales, destroying dragons...
    But here I stand, swordless, in shabby raggedy, home-made armour.

Who created this beast called "Sickness"?

This royally sucks....

(Thanks for letting me rant.)

James has taken a turn for the worse. It's VERY serious!!!!! Major surgery tomorrow, then the ICU, then...???This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009

UPDATE #2:

James is home from the hospital for now. BUT! Keep praying!
    He's having home-health-nursing for the next 2 months, cuz he still has open incisions (among other attachments & stuff). He'll have more major surgery after the 2 months, to close everything up, if he heals properly.

He's THRILLED to be at home, & sincerely thanks everyone for their prayers!!!!!!!

He's far from being "outta the woods" & he's not in for an easy 2 months.

I thank you for your prayers, also. My friend means a lot to me.

Pip[This Message was Edited on 08/05/2009]
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Unfortunately you can buy doctors and drugs, but you can't buy health. You are right, it royally sucks and you can rant all you want because I hate it too. I guess, the only thing you can do to battle it is to be with that person and help in any way that you can and also pray, pray pray.

We have a prayer list here at work that we send around every week which we update and I have to tell you 9 out 10 times the person we are praying for gets a lot better. I really do believe in the power of prayer.

I am not trying to preach to you honey, I am just trying to help in any way i can and that is the only way i know how.

Just remember, sickness does not have all the power, God does and if it is your time then there is a reason. I am hoping that when my time comes that Heaven is everything that i hope it is.

Love ya kiddo.

3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'm not a christian, but my friend is. I know he'd like to be on your prayer list. Can I say his name, so you can add him? Or a first name & last initial?

4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Sure you can say his name, we just need the first name and i will add him on our list for sure!!!!
  5. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

His name is James P.

Thanks again!
  6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

You got it and you are very welcome!!!!!!!!!
  7. jole

jole Member

I too hate sickness, especially when it happens to others....the devistatingly helplessness of the situation....the fear....the anger at someone good being stricken down while others (many of whom we feel less worthy) enjoy good health and don't even appreciate it one tiny bit!

But for me, once I got over the time of grieving for the life I lost, being angry at God and everyone else in my life, and finally learned to accept the new life I now have, even though it in no way compares to the person I was, I have learned to see many things I didn't see before.

I think the new insights have "almost" been worth it "most" of the time. The time to see and enjoy the wonders of creation that I took for granted before, the time to sit and visit with my children/grandchildren about more than just trivial things, the knowledge that "things" do not make us happy and are not important in our lives, etc.

And yes, even after losing all my friends because of these DDs, I found even better ones on this site....people who can love me for who I am, and not what I can do for them. I was sooo busy doing everything I was asked, be it for the kids school activities, church, work, etc. that I don't think people knew me anyway....just that I was a good worker. And you know what? When the chips were down...they forgot that, and no one helped back! Because their lives went on.

So....even though illness sucks, sometimes less is definitely more when it happens to us....just not so easy to see or feel that way when it happens to someone we love, is it?

I do have to say though that I couldn't get through a lot of this without the strength of God....even though I sometimes don't let Him in! I know that's not how you feel, but it does work for me when I can humble myself enough to remember I'm not able to be all and do all....sometimes a harder task than I think it should

I too will pray for your friend and hope things go well. Love ya***Jole***
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2009]
  8. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

You're sure right about that one! The people who were so important BS (Before Sickness), sure do disappear quickly when it's their turn to give instead of take!

AS for the god-thing:
    I'm not an athiest/heathen or anything. LOL! I just have a different belief system than many people.
    When I say. "I'm not a christian", it's merely a matter of clarification so people will know I won't be inspired by a bible verse or something.
    It's NOT a judgement of anyone who IS a christian! Not even close!

In fact, I'm pretty much surrounded by them. LOL
    And, they're the best buncha neighbors I've ever had.

Out of respect for others & their beliefs, when a neighbor says he/she will pray for me, I take it for what it is: A sincere concern for my well-being, & an intention to try to help.
    In my book, that's a wonderful thing, regardless of ones' dogma.

I accept their offer of prayerful intervention with sincere thanks - NOT a need to tell them what I believe. :)

(& I don't see any hypocracy in asking a christian to pray for my christian friend.)

I always gratefully accept prayers said on my behalf, & on the behalf of those I care about.

Alas, I have steered way clear of the "spirituality" board for a very long time, since I discovered it is NOT a place for open discussion of spiritual concerns... But that's a whole 'nother post...

Thanks for praying for my friend. I'm VERY concerned about him!!!!!!!

9. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

Just found out last night that my best friend's hubby has a mass on his pituitary (sp?) gland and is scheduled for another MRI tomorrow, most likely followed by immediate surgery. He has just gone thru a heart attack. This is a guy who lived at the gym, eats healthy, does all the right things.

I hate it when bad things happen to really good people.

I'm also a Christian and will add your friend to my prayers. Whatever path you choose to follow spiritually is completely your business. You have a beautiful spirit and loving heart. I'd be proud to have you as a friend.

10. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

It's looking like my friend, James is gonna need all the prayers he can get!!!!!

11. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I talked to James this morning.
    He's in a hospital way downstate, & there's no way I can physically get there. But my "unofficially adopted" grandfather called & gave me the phone number.

Keep up the prayers, cuz his condition is quite serious.

One of the very few good things about having spent SO much time in hospitals myself, is that I can talk to another sick person & he/she knows I actually understand, & not merely sympathize.

Sympathizing is a good thing. Don't misunderstand.
    But understanding is rare & actually helpful.

Of course, that's something the peeps here on the boards already know!

Thanks again, everybody!

12. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Thanks again for the prayers & positive vibes, everybody!

My friend, James is holding his own.

Obviously, he's a very special friend to me. :)

Keep up the prayers! I'm pretty sure God is listening to y'all!!!!!

13. jole

jole Member

continuing for James! And yes, God does hear us...even if His answer is not what we ask.

Pippi, James is very fortunate to have such a caring friend! Yes, you do understand what he's going through with the hospital situation....fears...anxieties...etc., and must be a huge relief for him to be able to visit with you by phone. I think very close friends are angels for each other! Love ya....Jole
  14. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

bumping so peeps will see this...

15. lynncats

lynncats New Member

wow, my prayers are just a'going. Your statement just struck me as "this person knows what the heck they are talking about". Someone who understands vs. symphany (sp?), is a special person. I've read your post, I've read your responses, PIPPI, you are one in a million. My prayers are with you, James, and everyone here. God bless.

16. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

And everybody else who is praying (& adding names to prayer lists)!

Please also include James' wife, Leann.

I know how hard it is to be deathly ill, but I also know how hard it is to love someone who is deathly ill.

Thanks again to you & all!!!

James is only 43 yrs old.
  17. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

bumping post for update #2

18. daylight

daylight New Member

Hey sweetie ,

I just saw your post here. I'll be more that blessed to keep your friend and his wife in my prayers. You take care too. Try not to worry to much . Life can be a kick in the butt at times but in the end love remains. And your friend is very loved.