Side Effect of Probiotics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by equanimous, May 13, 2010.

1. equanimous

equanimous New Member

Just curious if anyone else has had a worsening of breaking out on probiotics. A number of allergens/triggers make me break out, but I just discovered that probiotics greatly exacerbate this (or at least the particular strain of probiotics that I've been taking which includes lactobacillus acidophillus).

2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I had a terrible time with probiotics. Even Activia yogurt gave me intestinal distress and made my face break out. I was told it was probably from die off of nasty bacteria in my gut. Some of them release toxins when they die. Dealing with the toxins can tax the liver.

I used a general detox tea, a liver detox tea, then some liver detox pills(Liv52). After that I was able to get through a course of Activia and on to some low strength probiotic pills. I used Milk Thistle and Dandelion root for liver support while taking probiotic. I was still having to stay fairly close to a bathroom at times and when my parents developed more severe health problems, I quit on the probiotic.

I have read on here that a lot of people are helped with various detoxing type situations by molybdenum. I carried out an epic search for molybdenum in the recommended dose(300mcg/day in 2-3 doses), finally finding it while visiting relative out of state. I have just started the molybdenum and will eventually try probiotics again.

Incidentally, since acquiring the molybdenum, I had a hair mineral analysis done and I am severely deficient in molybdenum. I am cautiously optimistic that once my molybdenum levels are up, I will have less problems with the probiotic.
  3. equanimous

equanimous New Member

Very interesting about the molybdenum. I have some on my counter which I take inconsistently, mostly to address mold problems. No idea if it helps or not, haha. Sorry you've struggled so much with the probiotics. So awful when the things that are supposed to help us, just end up making us feel worse. Thanks for sharing your experience, makes me feel less alone, especially when I read that some people take probiotics to fend off breakouts!
  4. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

Interesting point. VSL3 was effective in enhancing energy but at the same time it exacerbate foggy brain (in my case). Several explanation might exists: probiotics may stimulate innate immunity to generate more antibodies against various pathogens, might further activate microglias in brain, might elevate d-lactate, etc.