signs that it's time to slow down

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ILoveGreen, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

I'm wondering if, other than time, there are subtle (physical and mental) signs others of you experience indicating it's time to take a break and rest in an effort to avoid a flare.
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

My sign that I am doing too much is usually heart palps and I get that terrible fluey feeling.I also feel like my legs and whole body really weighs a ton.

Unfortunately,by the time this happens the flare is gonna hit me hard ;( usually within a few hours or maybe even the next day. In a flare as we speak,this past weekend I tried to help my husband with some yard work.

Felt guilty because I can't help much at all,but now it's Thursday,and I've been really I'll since Saturday evening.

I've been reading dr my hills book,and she says pace pace pace! And I know better. Sometimes I think our type a personalities just kick in.

3. kezzluvscats

kezzluvscats New Member

Yes there are sighns. I get fatuigud and clumsy. I get achy all over and if i don't stop completely and do nothing for a day or two- it stops me anyway. also it takes longer to get going. i find if i lay down in the afternoons, even nap-i can do moe. Sometimes i have to accpet that i have accomplished one thing that day and it's ok to stop.
  4. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Good info. Sounds all too familiar. I get dizzy, lightheaded, legs ache, head/neck/shoulders throb w/pain, vision gets blurry, speech gets slurred, etc. BUT, as someone else said, those "signs" present themselves AFTER it's already too late and a flare is inevitable. I try to rest every day and stay on a schedule. Some days I need to rest 2-3 times or even all day long. Ugh! I hate to admit that even now. It takes a lot of discipline and saying "no" to others, which I find hard to do even after years of dealing with this! I am learning to redirect my strong sense of conviction and perseverance towards self-care rather than on being task-oriented and focusing on accomplishments and results. It's so much easier for me to do this by guilt, no explanations, no distractions, no witnesses.
  5. debbydo

debbydo New Member

after dealing with fibro for about 7 years now, i never can tell when i need to stop. now i just try not to do to much. somedays i'll get started on something i really enjoy-like gardening and i realize i may have been working for an hour-i know then its time to quit because i'll pay for it. i may not get a flare but i will hurt like crazy. but a flare for me means high temps and cant stop myself from sleeping for hours(12-14) and sometimes it lasts for a couple of days. i've learned that if i stay busy for long periods and days of this-or have a lot of stress in my life-a flare will follow. be good to yourself and write me anytime.