silenor for insomnia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

anyone tried this? I'm cutting my dosage for ambien in half (w/my drs. permission); however, he also rx'd Silenor, too. This med looks very similar to Benedryl.

Anyone have personal experience. I did a research on internet already.

Soft Hugs,
    Sharon (Nikki)
  2. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

I have an Rx for 10mg Ambien, BUT . . when I break it in half,
    it works a hundred times better than taking the whole pill. My
    doctor knew this, but failed to tell me.

My problem is waking up 2 or 3 times to pee .. I have urine
    frequency and urgency and after my second trip, I rarely fall
    back to sleep and cannot take another Ambien, because I
    get up at 5:30 a.m. for work, thus another reason for my
    daylight jet lag . .

Hoping to hear some responses to Silenor . .

3. Nikki

Nikki Member

My dr. rx'd 3mg of Silenor and 6.5 mg of Ambien (extended release) . . . he wanted me to take them both at night for insomnia. I was previously on 12.5 mg of Ambien (extended release), and I had asked him to give me the regular 10mg Ambien so I could taper off (at least go down to 5mg Ambien.

Well, night b/f last I took the 3mg of Silenor and 6.5 mg of Ambien. It worked fine. However, last night I believe I had a reaction to the Silenor . . . I woke up this a.m. with a swollen tongue. I didn't eat any thing different or take any other meds. (I do remember haaving to get up and take Benedryl . . . probably a good thing I did). I really thought the Silenor had similar ingredients as the Benedryl.

So, long story even longer . . . I won't take the Silenor anymore. Gonna call my drs.' office on Mon. and ask again to give me the regular 10mg of Ambien and tell him about my side effect . . . I did research the tongue swelling as a side effect and found that could be one of the side effects.

Wow, we have to be so careful with what we're given. The Pharm. reps push a lot of samples on the drs., and sometimes we're the lab rats. (Sales reps don't get mad at me . . . you're just doin your jobs.)

I, too, believe 5mg of Ambien works better than the 10mg. However, last yr for the 1st time (I'm almost 67) I went through a dx'd clinical depression . . . the worst thing I've ever been thru . . . including cardiac arrest in '07 during recovery from surgery, my husbands quad heart by-pass, his cancer, his back surgery, then my back surgery . . . Gezz . . . know this sounds so selfish, but it's true. My heart really goes out to those who can't get over depression. It took me almost a full year . . . lots of hard, structured work in an out-patient group setting 6 hrs. a day for 3 mos. I ended up being rx'd so many diff. combinations of meds, and when the dr. finally got it right . . . I was scared to change it. one of those things was Ambien EX. I finally got better and then had to go thru major back surgery. . . rods, pins, cages, etc. L3-4, L4-5. I'm doing better, and no depression. Yea!

OK, I need to sign off. I'm beginning to even bore myself. LOL

Soft Hugs,
    Sharon (Nikki)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2012]
  4. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

Wow . . just another pill that doesn't agree with someone :)
    I would have been frightened from that experience . . too close
    to your throat to be swollen.

I was a MHU inpatient for 3 months in 1998 after my daughter died.
    I can't tell you much about my experience because I was drugged
    but sort of remember walking around with many other zombies.

So, I know what depression really is, and when my Neuro told me
    last month that I was depressed, I nearly flipped out on him.

My Gyno diagnosed my depression then, after having a discussion
    with my husband who told him I'd been in bed for 5 days and nights.

He came to my house and talked to me, then took me to the
    hospital, himself. He visited me every day. I checked out on my
    own and did not take any depression meds after that inpatient stay.

I'll never understand how people can tolerate them. We're all so different
    when it comes to meds.

Glad to hear you're doing better :)

5. jc16551

jc16551 New Member

Silenor is just a new spin on the very old drug Doxepin. It's prmarily an anti-histamine with anti-cholinergic properties (classified as a Tri-Cyclic anti-depressant). So yes, it's effects will be very similar, although longer lasting, when compared to Benadryl.

Dr. Dan