Silly but GLOVES?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lbok, Nov 11, 2005.

1. lbok

lbok New Member

I have raynauds and the skin on my hands is very dry and cracked also - red and irritated from the wrists down. With the cold weather I wanted to get some good gloves, but when I started looking today at the department store I left without any (lol). Are leather ones better for fallish weather? I would like something I could wear in the store too without taking them off. I figure that would be better protection. I saw one pair from Ugg (or something like that) that were $120!!! Oh but they felt great. But, back to reality - any suggestions for some good gloves - like materials (leather, suede, thinsulate) besides my usual Walmart 99cent pair that neither are comfortable or keep my hands warm. Thanks
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I can so relate.. The turn in the weather is killing me. My hands look like mitts by the time I get to work.. I've been having trouble with Raynaulds for probably 4 to 5 years now.. This is the first year it's effecting my feet too.. You know I use those knit stretch gloves mostly because they are cheap and I tend to lose them.. I don't live in a really cold area though.. central Calif. If I didn I would really be in trouble.. I really don't have any suggestions for you but just know how you feel..
    Even little things like cutting up a chicken.. I have to keep running my hands under warm water the whole time.. I type a lot at work and my fingers are so stiff now.. I used to be able to type 70 words a minute.. We just did a typing test on line for fun and I could only do 55.. I've lost 15 wpm.. and I know some days it's worse! Use lots of cream, not lotion to help with the cracking.. even vasaline then put gloves on for the night..
    Stay warm!!
    Hugs!
    dona
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Ibok,
    Something you might want to think about is wearing the cotton gloves they wore back in the 50's. You can find them in many stores, sometimes in a cosmetic department. I've seen them in Walgreens. Most people use them now to lotion up their hands and wear overnite. They would be perfect to wear inside. Then you could always get something a little bulkier to wear outside.

K.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I, too, was going to suggest a thin pair of cotton gloves to wear to bed after putting your hand cream on.

I use a good hand cream called Cetaphil. It comes in a lotion and a cream--my dermatologist recommended the CREAM.

I worked in a Procurement Department where we purchased everything needed to run a huge plant. We used to order bundles of these thin, cotton, glove liners called "undertaker's gloves"!! They would have been perfect to sleep in! That is, if you weren't afraid that you wouldn't wake up!!! LOL

5. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Hi, I am the queen of gloves-I must have 15 pairs seriously and I just bought a new pair of mittens for wearing while out on my early morning walks. So anyway my favorite pair to shop in were a bit of a spulrge but they are a fine thin leather and have a cashmere lining. They keep my hands toasty but they aren't so bulky that I can't feel things. A thin good leather dress pair with a cashmere or synthetic cashmere linging is what I would look for. I have a pair of suede and the problem is they feel stiff and bulky most of the time, I keep pulling them off to use my hands. They are warm though. My other favorite out and about pair is a pair of isotoner gloves that have a fake fleece type lining in them and a soft synthetic fabric outside (synthetics are warmer). They are also flexible and move well. They sometimes call them driving gloves and can be purchased at Macys,or even K--mart. This time of year they run arouond15-20$. I did just buy my new mittens at Marshells-clothing discount outlet and they had tons of gloves and hats ect.. so you might look there for good deals. Last but not least if it is just frigid weather I pop one of those warming ski packets down in the glove. It's not really convient for shopping but it sure feels good.
    Stay warm.

6. lbok

lbok New Member

I'll try the cream - I've been using lubriderm lotion for sensitive skin but even that burns when I first put it on. Perhaps the cream will be better.

I've been having issues with the Raynauds for awhile now - even before I knew it had a name. I first noticed it when I was in my 20's and got really upset and my hands turned blue. In the really cold weather I sometimes end up taking a hot shower after coming in because it just seems like I will be cold for an hour or two. Even things like losing sensation or the ability to move my hands - like trying to get the key in car door after walking through the parking lot is always funny when you get a blast of winter wind.

I think the thin leather gloves might be good for in the store. I'll admit that I'm thinking about them for cosmetic reasons too.
  7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Try LL BEAN .Just add the .com LOL .They have a lot of warm gloves.

When its real cold I wear a warm pack inside my gloves .They keep my hands nice and warm.I live in the North East and it gets pretty cold.

You can find the small hand warmer packets in any sporting goods department.I know Wal-Mart has them.I also get the ones for my feet.

Hope I helped a little.
    Sue
  8. lbok

lbok New Member

That is a good idea. Can you put them inside the gloves? If not at least I could put some in my coat pockets.
  9. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I also put some in my boots.Keeps my toes nice and toasty.

Sue