Silly Question: How to Quit Chewing Gum

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mdjaj2231, Nov 14, 2007.

1. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

Iknow it seems silly at first, but I think it makes a huge difference in my neck, shoulder and chest muscles. I was away the weekend, and didn't chew - felt better, looser.

Came back, and went back to my teaching job. I'm going a million miles an hour and am addicted to it in that situation.

I was joking that I might take up smoking. Get it? the opposite of what most people do.

Any suggestions? I know it's a nervous habit.

Hugs to all.
  2. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

Where do you get them, Jam?
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Read the label. Aspartame has been added to almost all chewing gum.
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

When I stopped smoking, two years ago, I used nicotine gum, then when I stopped using the nicotine gum I started chewing regular gum.

Now, most days I chew 2-3 packs of gum per day, that much primarily because I like to have a fresh piece in my mouth and the flavour fades quickly.

I never considered my chewing habit could add to my neck, shoulder and chest pain but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense to me.

I'm going to try the flavour-drops, as suggested, rather than chew gum and see if my pain lessens.

Thanks for the idea.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

5. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

I will order the drops.

Have a great weekend!

Hugs to all.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have TMJ and one of the first things I was told to do is to avoid chewing gum (and foods that are hard to chew, too)....so your observation about pain makes sense.....I stopped "cold turkey" and it was hard bc I used to chew gum a lot.....recently I thought that maybe I could get away with an occasional piece of gum, esp if I didn't really chew it much - just kind of sucked on it (I know - weird, but I still miss gum even after 5 yrs w/o it)....anyway, I didn't want to ruin my teeth with the sugar and I didn't want to risk the evil asperatame, so I looked for some with neither of those (& it is hard to find, but the Vitamin Shoppe and Fruitful Yield do carry gum made with xylitol, which is actually good for the teeth....even xylitol is not great for you in large amounts, bc it can cause gas, but the amount in gum is not that much - as long as you aren't going thru several packs day after day)....anyway, I found that I noticed a lot more pain rt away, even when I was trying not to actually chew it much......so I have decided that it is just not worth the pain

don't know that that helps a lot as far as how to quit, but wanted to confirm that the gum definitely could be causing your pain, and that for me knowing that was enough to make me stop (even though it was sort of hard)