Silver fillings from tooth removed? anyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sssupermom, Apr 4, 2003.

1. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

anyone got their silver fillings removed? did it hurt? was it expensive? does insurance pay for it? is there any way to get insurance to pay for it?
  2. Laura62

Laura62 New Member

Hi,

I had two silver fillings removed from molars, one had to be replaced with another silver, the other I had redone with epoxy.

My insurance covered both at 80%. You'll have to check with your dental insurance to see if they will cover it...If it is for purely cosmetic reasons, I suspect they will not. But if you can get your dentist to find a medical reason to replace them..i.e. the fillings are getting old, or causing tooth pain, then your insurance should pick up the fee. It was about $600.00 for the epoxy filling, and $550.00 for the silver...and again...I paid 20% of that...

The pain involved shouldn't be any more then when you had them put in the first time...just make sure you shop around for a good/gentle dentist...I personally hate those guys...:)

Laura
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I felt neither better nor worse after having it done, but I think it's important to get the mercury out of the system.

Love, Mikie
  4. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I had my silver fillings removed in 1991; paid cash. Noticed no difference, but just mentally feels better knowing the silver is out of my mouth.

Hippo
  5. pamj

pamj New Member

Insurance will usually cover replacement of fillings if they are more than 5 years old. The dentist that does them should know what he'd need to say for the reason. Sometimes they loosen and decay happens around the edges. It depends on your insurance plan for the coverage amount. Some plans only cover 80%.

If you are getting mercury removed, PLEASE make sure you go to a dentist who takes precautions!! My dentist uses a dental dam to keep material from going down your throat, they also use oxygen to keep you from breating the mercury vapors, and they have me getting a vitamin C IV treatment at my docs immediately following the dental appointment to help flush out the toxins. They do this with each filling removal.

I went to another dentist to have a few fillings replaced over the course of several visits, and he did not use any precautions. Coincidentally, I got very sick (which was the beginning of my CFS) just a couple of months later. I have tested positive for mercury poisoning and I will always wonder if that dental work could be a major factor to causing my illness.

My new dentist practices Whole Body Dentistry, which includes testing for which materials your body can handle. I was tested for different novacaines, bonding material, and even pain relief. They found that there were certain materials that would not be good for me.

Go to a search engine and look for the book "Whole Body Dentistry" by Mark A. Breiner. I got this book through my dentist and it is very interesting to see how dental problems relate to illness.

good luck,
    Pam J

6. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

what state are you from? how do I look for a reputable doctor?
  7. pamj

pamj New Member

I'm in massachusetts, what state are you in?

The book I have has several websites to check for holistic dentists. They also have 800 numbers for referrals.

Do you have a holistic doctor? Usually they can recommend a dentist they like working with too. If you don't, I have websites to find doctors too.

Let me know what info you need, and I'll get it to you.

Pam
  8. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

I am in IL, I got a ND naturapath doctor who just gave me the results of my test yesterday. she recommended a dentist but is sooo far away. How are you feeling after having it removed do you feel the difference? How long would you have to continue going to get treatments? My nd is also a craniol sacral therapist so she does that for me too. How did your blood look like?
  9. juliec

juliec New Member

sssupermom,
    I agree with pamj's advice. I have discussed the removal of my fillings with my holistic doctor and I work at a dentist office. I have not proceeded with replacement for myself but any fillings I have needed recently have not been amalgam. My holistic doc didn't feel that my fillings were adversely affecting my health and only recomended their removal if they were old and were ready to be replaced. The dentist that I work for agreed with this. Make sure that if you decide to do this you find a dentist that takes precautions. ie.rubber dams etc. The release of the vapors from the actual removal process can be as harmful(if not more harmful) than having them in your mouth. I work quite a bit with various insurance plans and have found that most insurance companies may pay some for the process. Insurance plans are very individual. Most still consider that comosite/resin fillings on your back teeth as cosmetic treatment and will pay an adjused rate or nothing. Best to contact your individual insurance provider for the answers. Just as an end note: Resin/comosite fillings cost more in general than amalgam. The materials cost more(which is another reason insurance companies don't like to pay) and also involves more of the dentist's time, so your cost will be more just for those reasons.
  10. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

How old should the fillings be to be considered too old? I am a bit confused since I though all the fillings were dangerous. I will try to call the 800 number to get a qualified dentist.
  11. pamj

pamj New Member

My Whole Body Dentistry book has lists in back of many organizations & associations. I can't give the link to the website, but they do not have a dotcom at the end of the names, they have "org" since they are nonprofit.

One is amalgam and the # is listed under Organizations on the website, along with other places to contact. The other is holisticdental.

Hopefully you'll be able to find someone closer to you. There are several listed in IL on the holisticdental webpage.

Let me now if you have any trouble finding the info.

take care,
    Pam
  12. pamj

pamj New Member

I just started the process, so they haven't actually worked on the fillings yet. Yesterday I had a cleaning & my compatible materials testing. I need to take recommended supplements for 4 weeks before my filling removal appointment.

I've been getting regular IV treatments because I'm deficient in many vitamins & minerals, but they'll add the vit C IVs on the days I get the dental work done. The vitamin C IVs are only done within 24 hours of the mercury removal. Additional detox meds are usually taken orally at home. Does your ND do the IV treatments?

Pam

13. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

I don't know if she does any of that, I will ask.