simonedb wrote "functional medicine doctor"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bellydonna, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

Please tell me what a "functional medicine doctor" is?

Tanks for the word re: prilosec which I have recently started. Now I know to be alert.
  2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Hi Bellydonna - love your username.

I am not simonedb so I hope it is okay to post this. I see a functional medicine doctor and I am very pleased.

What is Functional Medicine?
    Functional medicine is personalized medicine that deals with primary prevention and underlying causes instead of symptoms for serious chronic disease.

Functional medicine is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. Functional medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, functional medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.

3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I too am fortunate to have my two new docs the same...and they both take Medicare too...It is no longer being frowned upon as hocus pocus...Even the government is realizing it's potential...Preventive Medicine...I swear by it ;)

I just realized my post may have been part of a 'hi-jacking', Sorry:( I didn't mean to and I know the others didn't either...Just trying to help :) Again, Peace[This Message was Edited on 07/24/2008]
  4. simonedb

simonedb Member

I think integrative and functonal similar or same

the ones I have gone to are real m.d.s with respectable training and background, whereas a naturopath I dont believe has to have gone to real medical school, not that they can't be good in dif way...but I do like having a "real" doc available to see who knows best of both worlds

yea the prilosec; I ended up calling 911, or maybe that was zantac, they both messed up either my heart or b/p--woke me up feeling like I couldnt breathe and thought I was having a heart attack. I don't usually call 911.
  5. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

MamaDove, No hi-jacking as far as I'm concerned. As a matter of fact, I didn't know this term, as applies to threads, till you used it and I googled it. So, hey- thanks for teaching me some netlingo. : )

Simonedb, I'm sorry you had such a Scary experience! Are you okay?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate how friendly this board is.
  6. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

simone and bella,
    Glad I didn't offend. I had noticed that no one had answered so I thought I would step in.

Sometimes, the board moves so fast that people don't see good messages.

Didn't mean to hijack.
  7. simonedb

simonedb Member

that would never offend me for people to jump in here.

and I am ok, as far as that 911 thing went, it was embarassing though, they came with lights flashing and sirens. niiiice. neighbors never asked thank god haha.