Simple Eats

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by butterflydream, Feb 1, 2010.

1. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Hey all,
    Super Bowl around the corner soon.

Can we share some simple eats for Game Day.

I'll start with a very simple desert. I'll call it the" AnyKind Cake"

Any kind of fruit pie filling( 1 can will do but 2 is better).
    Any kind of cake mix

In 13X9 baking pan Spread Fruit pie Filling on bottom
    Sprinkle Dry Cake mix on top of Fruit Pie Filling
    Bake 375 degress 25 minutes

If you prefer a bit of a crisp to the top, dot dabs of margarine on top of dry cake mix.
    1/2 stick would be plenty.

ENJOY, Simple Eats
  2. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

It was on the new today, or yesterday...

Cheesy Burger Fries
    4 to 6 servings

1 (32-ounce) bag frozen French fries
    1 pound ground beef
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup yellow mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 small onion, chopped
    1/2 cup sliced dill pickles
    3/4 cup cheese sauce, warmed

Place frozen French fries on baking sheet and bake according to package directions.
    Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the ground beef over high heat until browned, about 6 to 8 minutes; drain off excess fat.
    Stir in the ketchup, mustard, salt, and pepper; mix well and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
    Place French fries on a large platter, spoon the meat mixture over the fries, sprinkle with the onion and pickles, and evenly drizzle cheese sauce over everything. Serve immediately.

NOTE: Feel free to drizzle extra ketchup over the top, if you'd like.

3. butterflydream

At first i thought it was a joke..... Hey this sounds edible. I will definately try this one.

I love chicken wings too.
    Hopefully some good easy eats will come about here.

Very good Fight.... Gotta make this one. Cheesy Burger Fries YES !!!
    Hey a dab of worshershire into that ground beef meat too
    Perfect !!!!
  4. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Usually I don't bother looking at his good recipes, and they are good, I am not fond of certain foods though. But this one made me drool!

Is your cookie recipe still secret? LOL!
  5. butterflydream

the ole cookie recipe soon.
    It's strange, i had been one to put food together without recipes then somehow i developed this ole Fog. I promise i will get it posted and it is a very good choc.chip cookie.
    It's been a long time since i've baked them.
    Let me try

2 3/4 cup flour
    3/4 cup brn sugar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup of oats
    2 sticks of cold Parkay
    1 T. Vanilla
    1 pkg. choc chips
    1/2 cup of nuts are good but not needed
    1 t. baking soda
    1/4 cup ground Flaxseed
    2 beaten eggs

cream cold parkay, eggs,sugars, vanilla , oats all with mixer
    add flour & Flaxseed to above and use mixer.
    Stir in package of choc chips

Do not coat baking pan. Air Bake cookie sheet is best.
    Bake 350 10 to 12 minutes depending on your cookie size which i do 1 Tablespoon of dough.

Gosh, i think i have it. This is random off top of my head. If i left something out i'll post.
    Try them and post if you like them.

Just remembered the eggs, ground flaxseed, it's now posted above[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/02/2010]
  6. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Quick, hide it before someone copies it and puts it in some book!!!

Thank you! I'll try it out, probably next year, being that I never bake cookies from scratch.

Guess what? I just found out I have a chipped tooth. Surprised me and I had to take a double look in the mirror.

Maybe it happened when I was on the Savella med, having convulsions in my sleep?

Who knows?

Well, no more candy treats for me, lol.

7. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Any kind of fruit pie filling( 1 can will do but 2 is better).
    Any kind of cake mix

In 13X9 baking pan Spread Fruit pie Filling on bottom
    Sprinkle Dry Cake mix on top of Fruit Pie Filling
    Bake 375 degress 25 minutes

If you prefer a bit of a crisp to the top, dot dabs of margarine on top of dry cake mix.
    1/2 stick would be plenty.

I tried this at my daughters tonight, and it was awful!!!!!!!!! Yucky Yucky......It cost $10 for 2 cans of blueberry pie filling and $1 for the cake mix. It was awful.......

Are you sure this is how it's made???????
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Is that pie filling-cake mix the "dump cake" recipe that came out a couple
    decades ago? Seems to me it was pretty popular for awhile. I'd look it
    up, but my computer is in a flare. When I try and research anything I get
    a white page with "Done" at the bottom.

Here's a man's recipe for ham salad. I call it that because a man in our bridge
    club gave it to me. Too, it's the kind of recipe men like. Very few ingreediments.
    Only 3 (if you don't count the salad dressing).

Ham Salad

One of those little canned hams. Even if it's cooked, baking it for a while
    will improve the texture. Dice it.

Put in a bowl w/ canned, drained, and cut green beans.

Add diced cheese.

Cole Slaw salad dressing works fine. Maybe Ranch would work too.

If you want it to look more like a traditional salad, you can add some
    shredded lettuce.

When I was single, this always impressed folks at a pot luck. All the
    other bachelors brought soda or a jar of pickles. And most people
    like it. At the end of the party, the bowl was always empty.

Bon appetit

9. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Fifteen-Minute Meatballs
    15 meatballs

1 pound ground beef
    3/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
    1 egg
    1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, water, parsley, egg, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; mix well. Form the mixture into 15 meatballs, and place in a microwave-safe 9" x 13" baking dish.
    In a medium bowl, combine the spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese; pour over the meatballs. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave at 70% power for 12 minutes, or until the meatballs are completely cooked through.
    Remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Microwave at 70% power for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

SERVING TIP: Serve over spaghetti or on submarine (a.k.a. hero or hoagie) rolls.

Fight :)
  10. butterflydream

So we have

Ham salad (with Grn.Beans) i've not heard of the grn.beans with this before so, may be good on crackers Rock. the marzetti's salad (slaw) dressing is good.

Meatballs, Fight this sounds like MeatLoaf. I really do think the Cheesy Burger Fries sound really good.

Tyson Honey chicken BBQ wings, Granni this is my way of cookin wings too. Yum!!

Yucky cake, Stick i have no idea how this would have failed. Very simple and so good.
  11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Here's a simple dish. Baked potaoes. You can put anything on them, cheese, broccoli, butter, even chili and cheese.

Another simple thing to make is baked tomatoes. If you cut tomatoes in half and put a slice of cheese on them and just bake them, you can also add breadcrumbs.
  12. butterflydream

Hey Tea, i do like the Tomato idea, i have not ever tried Tomato this way.
    Sounds simple and good Baked potato is another goodie

Diane, Excellant idea with the english muffin, I'd sure like to get some of those beefsteak tomatoes they say you can grow plant indoors. Would be worth the try, have Fresh tomatoes all year round.

these are simple ones to try and do seem yummy.

I realize there are tons of sites for recipes, but i do like to hear of simple eats others have tried. These are all great and i appreciate all passing them on here.

Years back at a Super Bowl gathering someone had made chili with red potatoes in them ,
    i think that's when Red Skins played in Super Bowl. It's amazing what people will come up with for food when Teams compete.

Colts vs Saints Commercials are a blast to watch and then of course Half Time performance.

Thanks all for posting simple eats
  13. sues1

sues1 New Member

i USED TO MAKE IT OFTEN AND EVERYONE LOVED seemed that I used a smaller pan.....I was looking for the recipe, have it tucked away......can not find it....

used to mix pie filling with fresh fruit that was cut small...for a different taste......everyone loved it......Curious of what went wrong........Susan
    -----------LATER-Added this:

I REMEMBER was a smaller pan as I used Jiffy cake mix....those small sized boxes of cake mix......

This is a great recipe for anything goes.....depends on what you have on hand.....even coconut/oats/nuts///etc.......Susan[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2010]
  14. butterflydream

i had never tried the fresh fruit, that sounds good too.

The can pie filling and dry cake mix is very simple, I'm curious of what could of went wrong also with the post with blueberrie pie filling. I've made it with blueberry and absolutely delicious.

Susan would you use a vanilla pie filling with fresh fruit cut small and then top with the
    dry cake mix ? Sounds simple too.
  15. sues1

sues1 New Member

Vanilla pie filling.....wouldn't that be a pudding like? Would that survive baking?....

I know......make the cake and when it is served warm......add pudding or ice cream over the top.....sounds yummy..........Jello makes a cheese cake pudding also...
  16. sues1

sues1 New Member

JUST got this sent to it....

Click here: YouTube - Dawn Wells Potato Peeling Video

Okay, sometimes I will cook macaronit for a quick salad because I do not wish to fool around with the potatoes..this solves that!

Also a nice way to parboil potatoes for scalloped potatoes and such. Also good to have in refrigerator for some quick and easy home fries.... Let me know if you try it......Susan
  17. sues1

sues1 New Member

OOhhhhh this is so good.......

Let cream cheese sit out a short while and then beat it into a container of whipped marshmellow........this takes a while and you really have to beat it.......
    It is equal amounts of each, (half of each) but does not have to be exact.....just fairly close.....

Serve in a bowl surrounded by fresh hunks of bananas, grapes, strawberries, apple (Little on big side) and any other fruit.....
    I think graham crackers and such also would be good served with it.....

This is the only fruit dip that I like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Susan
  18. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I make it often in the summer -
    this is what I do -
    I can Cherry Pie filling
    I small can Pineapple chunks ( or that a little larger than a can of tuna size)
    I yellow or white cake mix (not the pudding in it)

Dump the fruit on the bottom, (don't drain) pour the cake mix on top - DO NOT mix it in, just spread over the top.
    I add either chopped pecans or walnuts to the top and while baking, dab with pats of butter.
    Sometimes I'll add coconut on top as well.

You could mess it up is maybe if you mix the cake mix IN, not layer on top?

I've also done Raspberry pie filling, with fresh raspberries.
    With the pineapple though, you can't even tell there is pineapple in it.

We warm up leftovers and serve with Cool Whip or ice cream. Absolutely a favorite.
  19. stick2013

stick2013 Member

When I did the dump cake at my daughters the other night, this is what happened....

I put 2 cans of blueberries in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan, I then sprinkled 1 box of yellow cake mix on top. I cut up 1/2 stick of butter and dabbed it in places. I baked this mess at 375 for 25 minutes.

The fruit was hot, but the dry cake mix was still on top. It wasn't cooked, crunchy or moist. It was awful!!!!!!! Smelled good, but tasted like YUCK!!!!!! Total waste of $$ and time. IMO!!!!
  20. jole

jole Member

I do mine exactly like Janalynn. Maybe you didn't bake it long enough? Mine calls for 350 for 35-40 min. (I honestly like it better the next day after it's been refrigerated overnight though) Yummy!