Since Surgery, I Don't Like Chocolate

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Like so many here, I loved chocolate all my life. Since having my gallbladder removed about a month ago, chocolate tastes bland to me. It doesn't melt on my tongue like it used to and go "zing" right to my pleasure center. I can't say I miss it because I have lost all desire for it.

I am doing really well and can eat most anything I want with no problems. I do feel full with less food than before but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I used to want some kind of fast food every now and then, some pizza, a cheeseburger, whatever, but I don't really want to eat that stuff any more. I could eat it but have no desire for it. I never craved it except once in a while. Now, I could take it or leave it.

It may be that the low-fat diet I was on before, and for a while after, the surgery changed how I view food. Anyone else have this happen?

Love, Mikie
  2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I had bladder Sx many years ago. I had always drank Pepsi, for years and years. For some reason after my sx I couldn't stand it. I still dislike it.

It's weird isn't it?

Shar
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

you poor thing~

:(
    I'd insist on getting my gallbladder back!
    Teehee
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

No, This hasn't happened to me, but I do want to write and tell you how happy I am that you are dong well.

Best Wishes,
    Love,
    Terry
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

but I still have my gall bladder. I used to be a chocoholic - I remember putting a winter coat on over my nightgown and driving all over the city trying to find a 24 hr convenience store because I HAD to have chocolate. I would eat anything as long as it was chocolate.

This all changed about 2 yrs ago after I started treatments by a naturopath. I totally lost my taste for chocolate. I don't hate it but I never crave it any more and if I have dessert, it is usually not chocolate any more.

My naturopath has no explanation for this. I also lost my taste for coffee. I also crave eggs which I have hated from the day I was born. My mom used to try and get me to eat eggs when I was a baby and I just threw them back up. Now if I don't have my egg in the morning, I HAVE to have it for lunch.

No one can explain this to me. Very strange.

My sister had her gall bladder out in June and her tastes have changed too. She doesn't care for spices or fatty foods any more but she thinks it is psychological because those foods are what gave her bad reactions before her surgery.

Love, Pepper
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've pretty much liked the same things most of my life. I just got back from the store and had a hard time knowing what to buy. I ended up with some Italian sausage (not exactly low fat :) I'm going to make some whole wheat spaghetti for dinner. I can eat fat but I don't crave it or the chocolate. As I said, I'm not missing the chocolate at all so I think this may be a bonus for me.

Thanks to all for responding and for all your good wishes through this ordeal. I was a bit disappointed because the endodontist's office hasn't called with a cancellation. I thought for sure that someone would decide to cancel out over the holiday weekend. Oh well, I can wait til the 12th if I have to.

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But it's yours. It's cute. I'm not wanting to drink alcohol much these days either. I was never a big drinker but my doc wanted me to have a beer or glass of wine each day. Not a bad prescription :)

Geez, most of my vices are gone. Y'all will have to start calling me St. Mikie if this keeps up. Ha! That'll be the day.

I was eating a lot of no fat pudding before and after the surgery and some of it was chocolate. I just don't crave the hard stuff.

Love, Mikie
  8. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Lucky you! I crave chocolate almost every single day and I had my gall bladder out over a year and a half ago. My stomach has never been quite the same though. Not bad, but I get nauseous more easily and that bloated feeling. I heard that if you go on a low sugar or no sugar diet you will stop craving it after a while. Did you stop sugar almost all together? And, I still crave the saltier cheeseburgers from Wendy's and In-n-Out. My craving was way up for those salty burgers when I was pregnant! Ha! Ha! I am trying to lose 10 lbs. right now and the chocolate is the hardest thing to cut back on! Have a great day! Kim :)
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was most interested in low fat stuff but I didn't eat high calorie foods. I've lost about 10 pounds and hope that once I get more active, I'll lose more.

We are getting a Sonic Drive In just down the street. I used to love their burgers. Guess I'll just have to force myself.

It's too bad you still get that bloating. I'm about normal but I can't eat as much as I used to without feeling full. That's a good thing too.

Love, Mikie

10. Boy oh boy, take away my gallbladder, BUT DON'T TAKE AWAY MY CHOCOLATE!
  11. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I used to have no problem indulging in chocolate or sweet sugary foods whenever I wanted them - because I wanted them so rarely it was no big deal. The week after I started Tegretol I bought a 3 pound bag of peanut M&M's, thinking it would fill up a candy bowl and sit around for a few months. I ate it all the first weekend!! The fact that I was even considering a huge bag of candy should have clued me in to the change.

Shortly thereafter my nurse told me she also took Tegretol. I asked her if she had the chocolate connection. She got a dreamy look in her eye and said in this Mae West seductive voice "Oh, yess, chocolate is MY FRIEND."
  12. since she had her gallbladder taken out, 6wks before me, back in 2000, cannot STAND to smell, cook, be near Oyster Stew....(ICK anyways, IMO, LOL) but, I was the only one in the family, growing up, that you wouldn't be able to even force that in me, through a tube! NO WAY. Always made me wanna puke, but,

before her surgery, she liked it....can't stand it now, she'll get nauseated, as, she will still fix it for my stepdad, cuz he loves it (now that's* love)...

ME--it's odd, I do enjoy hamburger, but, if I SMELL it cooking--blech! no thank you, appetite GONE. That one is a constant. I can do the fast food thing, or burgers on the grill, hubby fixing them, of course (he does all the cooking--well, all the everything.. :-( But, I want to hurl my guts out if I smell hambuger cooking.

There are other* things, that just come and go, and, I think actually, being on Topamax around 2 yrs, did that..I used to just *think* of what to eat---and suddenly, I felt sooo full. Like I couldn't eat a bite...just by my husband saying "what do you think you might want for lunch". It made me emotional at times (the frustration, I guess..how could you be starving..then someone mention* food...and you completely* lose any appetite, whatsoever. Just, not hungry, at all. For hours, and sometimes, the whole day)

Anyways, starting Topamax, my neuro said "carbonated drinks will taste like crap to you" well, they didn't, but, I only drank soda with fast food meals, but, they did ocasionally, taste flat, or like diet to me, and someone else, would say they were fine..but, not always.

And, so now, it can be eggs cooking, that can turn me off, or even cause me to get reflux---from SMELL..then I could eat them all day, another time...and can be soups, beef stew, ?? All different *smells* of foods, turn me off of them, sometimes, I won't be able to eat them for months, some, never again..and others, just the next time, they'll be ok with me.

Just DON'T LET ME SMELL BURGERS COOKING!!!! ACK!

My stepaunt would get sick at the smell of hamburger, but, only through her pregnancy---though..when her son was still an infant/toddler-----her gallbladder came out..

???hmm...???

About the M&M's (3lb bag) I can sooo relate, but, no CLUE what started it....and for me, it was a BADDDDDD TWIZZLER OBSESSION....we're talking the 3-5lb bags, also, and MANY a week. They were almost ALL i would eat. It was early on in my illness.....so I'd say, it was some anti-depressant I'd been thrown on, but, not really sure, I never stayed on them long, due to always getting bad side effects...
    ? Got me. Just glad I got a hold of that one...I actually..haven't touched a Twizzler since.

Hubby! Did the shopping--so HE was the ENABLER...I wouldn't even ASK for anymore...he'd walk in with the groceries...and two huge bags of the (long) regular old twizzlers.....ACK!

I think, he honestly, was so glad I'd stopped vomiting, and was eating.....but, WOW! Sometimes, a spouse needs to be brutally honest, and say "step away from the trough" lol! He would never, though, after going through 2.5yrs of me & steroids...would he dare, tell me to quit eating. or even slow down LOL He just hid in the living room, while I was on them, or weather permitting,..outside in the yard, LOL

I would say your low-fat diet, before hand & after, probably DOES help, the aversion to, or at least, no longer craving chocolate now...

Once I was on my elimination diet (celiac's) for three weeks..finally, every single food commercial didn't nearly bring me to tears...and other people eating a lot of diff 'no-no' foods around me, the smell repulsed me..I was realllllly glad once that finally happened...the first 3 weeks were like cruel punishment.

Take care,

Laura
  13. bebophow

bebophow New Member

Hi,

I have had many surgeries & after, i also couldn't stand the taste of food that i normally would eat, once it was ketchup. Dr. said it was the anesthesia it affects the tastbuds would take about a year. It took a little longer but your taste comes back for the food you once loved or at least mine did.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2006]