Sinequan vs doxipin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nana_Banana, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Nana_Banana

Nana_Banana New Member

Are there others who are able to take the name brand Sinequan (with success) but not the generic doxipin? What options do I have as Sinequan is no longer going to be manufactured?
  2. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I just got put on doxipin temporarily today. What can you tell me about it? Why can't you use it?
  3. rubyart

rubyart New Member

Sinequan saved me and I was symptom free for 10 years. Doxepin doesn't work and I've been downhill since they stopped it. It appears someone on this board takes it, however. If you find out let me know and I'll do the same.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Was sinequan helpful for sleep or something else?

I think I've only taken doxepin, and it gave me a lot of hangover.

5. elliespad

elliespad Member

I used Doxepin 125 mg. for MANY years. (Maybe 10 years?)Started at 25 mg and increased it over the years as it became less effective. But, I DID have (seemingly) good sleep from it. And yes, it was hard to become alert in the morning, or whenever I would wake up, more like 11 am. I also gained about 100 lbs. while on it.

About 5 years ago I decided I wanted to get off as many of the 14 drugs a day I was taking and by using Cholestyramine and L-Tryptophan, got off ALL except for Atenolol and Doxepin. In place of the Doxepin I used L-Tryptophan 1500 mg (an amino acid) and Vit B-6. I recently added GABA and Melatonin. I do occassionally go a spell without one or the other, but find I do BEST using this combination.

Really interesting is that at VERY LOW doses, Doxepin acts as a VERY POTENT Antihistamine. Here is a cut and paste from a Dr. Cheney article taken from Immunesupport.com

Doxepin Elixir (10mg/ml): At low doses this tricyclic anti-depressant acts as a very potent antihistamine and immune modulator. I suspect it's the most powerful antihistamine known to man and gets into the central nervous system. I think it adjusts the histamine receptors, which are the grand maestro of the central nervous system, and down regulates it, which is beneficial. It acts synergistically with Klonopin for sleep and may improve pain. Patients are very sensitive to Doxepin, which can cause morning fog and fatigue if the dose is too high (5 to 10 mg. or higher). I recommend starting at two drops a night and advancing for sleep improvement vs. morning fog, up to half a cc. Elavil may prove more beneficial for some (10 to 75 mg at bedtime).