Sinequan??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Madelyn, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Okay, the Elavil didn't work for me. So my good Dr. prescribed Sinequan and said this works for her patients who can't tolerate Elavil. I haven't started yet. Would appreciate anyone'e experience with this.
  2. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Okay, the Elavil didn't work for me. So my good Dr. prescribed Sinequan and said this works for her patients who can't tolerate Elavil. I haven't started yet. Would appreciate anyone'e experience with this.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Then be careful. This drug is great for people who need to gain weight. Sinequan (aka Doxepin aka Adapin) is notorious for packing on the pounds. Some people find lower doses, esp. in liquid drops form do not cause this problem, so you might ask for that. It is the most sedating antidepressant and has a half-life of about 12 hrs., so you need to take it at least 12 hrs. before the time you want to get up in the morning.
    I was also put on it when Elavil make me jittery, have heart palpitations and gain 43 lbs. in 7 months. Doxepin made me sleep so hard I would sleep 14 hrs. one night, stumble around in a fog the next day, not sleep at all the next night, then sleep 14 hrs. the following night, not at all the next, and so on. It also put 9 lbs. on me in only 12 days. You could not do that to yourself if you ate from sunup to sundown!
    I know someone it worked great for and she did not gain weight. But, after awhile she had to increase the dose and after several yrs. she got to where the maximum allowable dose no longer worked and she ended up on disability.
    I am not trying to scare you, just trying to warn you that good short-term solutions are often not the same as good long-term solutions. I wish to God someone had told me what I just told you when I was new to FMS. I now have Metabolic Syndrome because of the weight those drugs put on me, and while FMS doesn't kill you, Metabolic Syndrome does. Just be cautious and don't put up with side-effects that are worse than your original problem. Good luck,
    Klutzo
  4. fibolady

fibolady New Member

the doxepin was great for the depression, i took 50 mg and helped with sleep, but i did gain weight. i gained about 20 pounds fast, but i was at a desk all day.

i did not have any hangover affects, but i can take anything and have no hangover.

maybe the answer would be to incorporate more exercise if you decide to take it. but, this is hard for many fms/cfsers.

warm regards, fibolady

5. witsend

witsend New Member

I have taken doxepin for many years....maybe 12? Started with really low dose 3mg. at bedtime. The lowest it comes in is 10mg, so I would take 1/3 capsule. After 7-8 years went to 1/2 capsule or 5mg. and now 12 years later I am up to 10mg. It really helps with the sleep but it causes brain fog till it wears off the next day. Start with the lowest dose possible. Good luck.