Single Mom With Fibro HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moms.sick, Feb 5, 2011.

1. moms.sick

moms.sick New Member

Hi Everyone. I am a single mom of two who has been living with Fibro for 6 years. I have listened to doctors, tried meds but nothing has worked. Part of the problem is that I cant rest, relax and pace as much as the doctors or I would like as kids have a funny way of wanting to be fed, or have clean clothes. Meds do not work well with me, and my body seems to reject them. I have started a blog that goes through my frustrations with doctors, life and just everyday life, check it out if you like I am looking for tips suggestions, anything that you may think would help. Also I am really looking to see if anyone has heard of a support group for the family, especially kids that would be so helpful. Thank you
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

I know this is not a help with the kids but are you taking the essential supplements for FMS and ME/CFS? I didn't see mention of them in your blog.

Magnesium (tartrate or citrate) 400mg
    Pyridoxine (50 to 100 mg) (necessary to go with the magnesium)
    Vitamin D (between 1000 and 5000 IU)
    Omega 3 FA's and acetyl-L-carnitine

Almost all people with FMS have low levels of magnesium and a large dose is necessary. It is believed that the neurological problems in FMs are partly due to poor magnesium utilization in the brain Also you need to take more magnesium if you take Vitamin D because vitamin D reduces the uptake of magnesium. The Pyridoxine (Vit B6) is required to improve magnesium uptake from the digestive tract.
    Melatonin 0.5mg at night or Phosphatidyl serine

[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2011]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2011]
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My magnesium levels are fine. I don't think almost all people w/Fibro have low levels.
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

Many studies have shown that both serum and intracellular magnesium is low in ME/CFS and in FMS (bearing in mind that 60% of people with FMS fit the criteria for ME/CFS).

Measuring serum levels of magnesium is deceptive and that measure is all you will get with a standard blood test.

Leukocyte levels have been measured in many studies showing significantly low Mg levels in FMS.

Hippocampal levels of magnesium are also low in many if not most and taking magnesium orally will raise the brain levels only slightly.

May 22, 2008 issue of the journal Rheumatology International:

"The serum levels of zinc and magnesium were significantly lower in the FM group, but there was little difference in the selenium levels of both groups. There was also a meaningful association between zinc levels and the number of tender points, and between magnesium levels and fatigue."

Also see:

This from Mark Pelegrino

"Magnesium Deficiency

Magnesium is a common deficiency in the general population but even more so in patients with fibromyalgia. Intracellular magnesium is low, which interferes with the muscles' ability to relax and make energy. Magnesium is needed to convert 5-HTP to serotonin.

Magnesium facts…

• 27% of magnesium is stored in muscle tissue.

• Every energy-consuming reaction in life needs magnesium to proceed.

• Less than 1% of body magnesium is in the serum [blood].

• Low magnesium intake results in magnesium depletion from muscles and bones to maintain serum magnesium levels.

Symptoms of low magnesium in fibromyalgia include:

• Increased fatigue,

• Increased spasms,

• And increased pain.

Individuals with low magnesium are more prone to injuring their muscles when they exercise, so exercise intolerance or increased pain and spasms after activity is another symptom of low magnesium in fibromyalgia.

• Natural supplements to treat low magnesium include products containing magnesium.

• Magnesium glycinate is the preferred bioavailable form. A magnesium supplement works with the muscles to help them manufacture more energy (ATP molecules). When taken as a supplement, magnesium and its co-factor, malic acid, can enter the muscle cells and improve the muscle energy production.

• Studies have shown that this combination reduces pain in fibromyalgia patients and headache patients.(1,2) I have found that 75% of people who use products… (containing magnesium, malic acid, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and manganese) will report improvement with either decreased pain, improved energy, a more stable baseline, or a combination of these.

• Anywhere from 300 to 500 mg of extra magnesium supplement a day may be needed.

• Taking 5-HTP along with magnesium/malic acid will increase your odds of converting 5-HTP to serotonin."

Hair and platelet levels of magnesium tend to be high in Fibromyalgia and this reflects the fact that magnesium is not being absorbed into the cells where it is needed. Also people who take additional calcium in their diet (to prevent osteoporosis) will be lowering their intracellular magnesium even further.

People with fibromyalgia cannot afford to ignore the data. Most people in USA are near deficient in magnesium (levels in diet have gone from 495 mg per day down to 175 mg per day in the last 80 years). So even if we think we are not deficient, most of us are.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2011]
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I try to take my meds subliungial , under your tounge that way they by pass the digestive system and get into your system faster. I did not know that my vitiman D levels were sooooooo low . I had never been tested for low vit.D levels before, it was way below where it should have been so I took 500,000 mircomg once a week for a year and a half and still am on 5000 micro a day now. I take vit B12 subliungally as it works faster and is not asorbed in teh stomache or digestive tract, I have my vit D the same way. I feel better than I did but I still have a lot of pain. I have not heard of the other one that goes with the magnsium. I just ran out of it and will get more when my pay day is here in a week.

It was my choice to take my vitimans indivadually as I had learned that most multi vit, don't dislove or asorb in to your system. So why take them if they are not helping you to feel better. I will check in to teh rest of the vits that you mentioned.\
  6. IanH

IanH Active Member

Vitamin B6 will help the absorption of magnesium from digestive tract if you want to take the magnesium as chelated magnesium, such as magnesium lactate or magnesium citrate. If you take a sublingual form of magnesium (recommended) the B6 will not be required.

A new form of magnesium is being developed, Magnesium-L-threonate which crosses into the brain better than any other. It is taking a while to reach commercial makers of magnesium salts. When it does, its the one to get.