Singulair for fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WorldFalls, Oct 27, 2002.

1. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

Hello everyone...

I'm sorry I keep asking so many questions. I've only been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've lived with awful pain and allergies for so many years. It's a relief to know there is a "reason" for my pain, but with every question that gets answered, it seems two more pop up!

Along with my most recent flair up of extreme pain, my allergy problems also increased. My allergist gave me Singulair...not for my asthma, but for my rhinitis, which has been just awful since dust mite season started up. I was surprised to hear that it was given for that purpose, and I was reluctant to take the drug. I hate taking medications, and currently I'm at least ten of them. None of them have provided any miracles for me! Anyway, I started taking the Singulair last week, and WOW...it works so well! I am breathing through my nose better than I had been in years and years. And my asthma is better too!

I read somewhere (possible here?) that Singulair was also used to treat the pain associated with fibromyalgia. Has anyone heard of this? The reason I ask is that I feel a lot less pain in the last few days. I've also been sleeping better which is really amazing for me. I'm reluctant to get too excited about it because I have had times that the pain eases up for a few days but it always comes back.

Is anyone else on this drug? Would anyone care to talk about how they feel on it and whether you've had good results with it?

Thanks,
    Elayna
  2. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

Hello everyone...

I'm sorry I keep asking so many questions. I've only been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've lived with awful pain and allergies for so many years. It's a relief to know there is a "reason" for my pain, but with every question that gets answered, it seems two more pop up!

Along with my most recent flair up of extreme pain, my allergy problems also increased. My allergist gave me Singulair...not for my asthma, but for my rhinitis, which has been just awful since dust mite season started up. I was surprised to hear that it was given for that purpose, and I was reluctant to take the drug. I hate taking medications, and currently I'm at least ten of them. None of them have provided any miracles for me! Anyway, I started taking the Singulair last week, and WOW...it works so well! I am breathing through my nose better than I had been in years and years. And my asthma is better too!

I read somewhere (possible here?) that Singulair was also used to treat the pain associated with fibromyalgia. Has anyone heard of this? The reason I ask is that I feel a lot less pain in the last few days. I've also been sleeping better which is really amazing for me. I'm reluctant to get too excited about it because I have had times that the pain eases up for a few days but it always comes back.

Is anyone else on this drug? Would anyone care to talk about how they feel on it and whether you've had good results with it?

Thanks,
    Elayna
  3. achy

achy New Member

My doc started me on it a year ago. My old asthma meds just seemed top stop working. It does help with sleep, that is why u take it at night. As fas as any pain relief, I have never heard of that...but there is alot i haven't hear of so.....
    If your sinus are bad have you tried rhinocort?? It has been a lifesaver for me. two shots in the nose a day.
    Good luck
    Achy
  4. jud2

jud2 New Member

MY DR RECENTLY HEARD OF AN ASTHMA MED. FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE.
    BUT DIDN'T GET THE NAME. COULD SINGULAR BE IT? DOES IT SEEMS TO HELP WITH YOUR FATIGUE?
  5. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

but it made me so tired the next day. I cut it in half last night and today I can function better and have not been wheezing. It may help fibro people just because it does help you sleep better. My doc did mention it helps with chronic sinusitis.
  6. angelgirl56

angelgirl56 New Member

I have Fibromyalgia and also have allergies and asthma.
    I have been taking Singular for years and it helps the asthma but not the FM. I also have just started using Advair for the asthma. It doesn't taste like gasoline and it helps a lot!
    My doctors gave me Elavil for the FM and told me to take plain Robutissum twice a day to help with the pain.
    You can also get it in prescribed form. I did not see a big difference in my pain on Robutissum, but the Elavil has helped. I also take Lexapro, Klonopin, and a sleeping pill at night. Seems to knock me out. But they still haven't helped with the depression as much as I had hoped. Lexapro is brand new with little side effects. I have been on it only a month but it seems to be helping somewhat. Nothing helps with the fatique. I was diagnoised with FM a year ago. Wish I could help more.
  7. dorothy

dorothy New Member

I have never felt any difference in pain, or anything else
    It doesn't make me sleepy or help me sleep at night at all, and does nothing for pain. it only helps with my asthma....which still flairs from time to time..... I would not cut this medication in half..... it is a time release medication and should never be altered. it also needs to be kept in a no humidy environment. It should come with a descicant (a little plastic thing that absorbs moisture)in the bottle... some pharmacists will give you the original bottle, and some re-bottle.... usually when they re-bottle they do not put the descicant in there....(and they should).. it is a very sensitive drug, active ingrediant is montolukast and it needs to be kept moisture free. I worked for Merck in New Jersey on the clinical trials for this drug and later for Merck here in NC in the manufacturing of it as well. It is a good medication to treat asthma, but as far as pain, anxiety, sleep, and such, it holds no pharmacologic proporties. Hope this helps.....

Dorothy
  8. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

After 3 days of feeling like I'd taken an overdose of valium, I didn't take it last night and am now feeling more like my old wheezy self. That is one of the very annoying side effects of fibro for me -- intolerance to certain medicines. As for the undenatured whey, I take the product sold here and it works fine for me. Not a miracle cure like for you (I tried Immunocol, too) but it has helped me probably more than anything else besides regular pain med.