Sinus flushing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Jun 7, 2006.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

anyone out there in cyberspace do sinus flushing? It apparently works really well at reducing sinus infections, stuffiness, and moisturizes the nasal passages.
    You use a saline solution to flush them on a daily basis, best if you do 2xs to start with.

I haven't tried it yet, but did buy one of those nasal asparrators for babies, to make my own sinus flushing kit.

Raz
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Yes, I've done it and it really helped me with my sinsus and chronic stuffed up nose. I used a kit recommended by my surgeon after deviated septum surgury. Kit was called Neil Med sinus rinse or something like that. Check out their website. (google it) It came with little packets of saline powder that you mix with clean water.

Good luck!
  3. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hi razor! Haven't seen you in a LONG time! How is that precious daughter doing? I hope that she is feeling better but you said she has Chron's right? So sorry honey!

Anyway to the sinuses - I actually don't flush although I KNOW I could benefit from it. It hurts to bad for me. The water makes me feel like am drowning.

But this is something I do to help with my sinuses. Antibiotics don't work for infection because there is no actual blood flow in your sinus cavity. Why people feel better after being on antibiotics is for two reasons. They have already waited long enough and by the time they are on the medicine the infection is already on its way out. The other reason is that antibiotics will help with inflamation so that also makes you feel better.

I know didn't say anything about infection so I don't know where that even came from.

This is what I do. I take a cotton swab and dip it in peroxide and then stick it up my nose into my sinus cavitiy as much as possible. Most of the time I can't get in there very good.

The peroxide WILL burn but for me I feel it helps.

Anyway, hope that helped. Good to see you!

kate
  4. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i use a sinus rinse. for what it's worth, i talked to the lady at the health food store here and she told me it's best to alternate between using the saline rinse and just plain water, distilled and/or boiled course. the reason for this is that the saline can actually contribute to dryness over time.

the best natural approach for me is steam inhalation: a bowl of boiling water, 3 drops rosemary oil, 2 drops euclatypus, and a towel to cover my head. the rinse is a good preventative while the steam is good for symptoms.

eddie
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I use a Neti pot with saline for sinus flushes. I had a bout of sinusitis and am also using Colloidal silver. The flushing does help and it feels better after.

We have a sinus board and there is some interesting stuff there.
    Kathy.

[This Message was Edited on 06/08/2006]
  6. kbak

kbak Member

Yep. Been doing sinus irrigation for several yrs. now. I would highly recommend it. One of the things I do is besides adding sea salt to my netti pot, I also add a tiny bit of baking soda. It takes the sting out. If you use salt alone, it's pretty irrating to your nose,

I have had no sinus infections since I've been doing this.

K.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2006]
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

8. victoria

victoria New Member

The pressure pain is well into my sinuses, behind my eyes etc... irrigating/flushing etc just never seems to affect it unfortunately. Well, neither do any nasal sprays either, RX or not, so perhaps it is not surprising...

V

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I make my own solution with purified water and natural sea salt. Preservatives in OTC saline solutions can harm the mucus membranes.

According to the head of the ENT Dept. at the Univ. of CO School of Medicine, flushing the sinuses is the most important thing one can do to prevent sinusitis.

Love, Mikie