sinus problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crickett, Oct 6, 2009.

1. crickett

crickett New Member

I have been batteling severe sinus problems that just wont go away. I am sure its probably the fibro.I wake up every morning and my nose feels so stuffy and its been staying this way most of the time. also i have been having dizzy spells too . went to doctor had a ct scan but i am sure it will come back normal. i cannot remember if grape seed extract helps that or not. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks crickett
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Are you using the Nasa Flo Neti Pot for allergy & sinus relief ??

If not, you may want to give this a try, sure does get rid of the stuffiness and clears the nasal. Sold in many stores and inexpensive.

Wish you well
    Butterflydream
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

including even the hot pepper/cayenne nasal spray, which stung like crazy!

Honestly it wasn't til I complete the 2nd phase of the MP that my nearly 24/7 sinus headache went away. OK I know the MP is controversial here, but I do credit it with making a major difference as I was in real distress, and nothing else has helped, and I do mean nothing. A ENT surgeon didn't even think there was anything to operate on. My son's lyme doctor, without knowing it was me, described to a "T" my symptoms, so I think that's why the MP helped.

I also think that eating too much bread has an effect, tho cutting it out of my diet (amongst experimenting cutting out other foods) before doing the above never made a difference. I'm still not completely sure tho.

good luck I had suffered increasingly since over 10 years ago... I had really been working at dissociating it thru hypnosis as it was my only option for a few years.

all the best,
    Victoria

4. crickett

crickett New Member

victoria. I just purchased some nasel spray with cayenne pepper last week . I have been using it and it does really burn . I do not eat bread at all so i know that is not a problem for me. did u say that it took 2 bottles to u finally had some relief i will continue to use it . It just drives me crazy. thank you
    crickett
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

You might try some saline nasal spray if you have not already. I have off and on sinus problems that I also think are from FM and was, at one time, suffering from dizzy spells off and on for 2 weeks, finally made a dr appt, read on the board about sinuses causing dizziness, went home that day, sprayed good with saline, BANG, dizziness gone!!!
  6. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Hi Crickett,

Sinusitis has always been a problem along with my CFS too.
    Nasal irrigation is essential---most people use a neti pot.

It's good that your CT scan was clear.
    Did your doctor culture what was in your sinuses? A Mayo clinic study
    found that a vast majority of chronic sinusitis cases were caused by fungus.
    You can try a drop of tea tree oil in your sinus rinse to fight fungus in you have it.

Thus the recommendation to avoid breads and sugar carbs is a good one.
    I'd add to that dairy. As a sub you can try goat yogurt or goat milk.

For grains I only eat Quinoa and oats for oatmeal. And sometimes brown rice. I've found goat yogurt to be helpful with my digestion and does not bother my sinuses.

And speaking of digestion---a really good pro biotic is important. I don't know exactly why---maybe it's because the mouth and sinuses and so close and lead directly to the gut, but having a good balance of gut flora is important and helped my sinus problems.

Good luck.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

I unfortunately never found any help with the cayenne spray, or any of the other myriad of solutions, some of which have been mentioned above. That said, my daughter has major allergy to milk products and stuff up horribly if she has any.

That said, I did for 3 months find help formulating my own MSM with sterile water into a sterilized nasal spray bottle left over, but then my allergy season hit and it wouldn't work after that. All the rx'd spray meds worked for 30 days each and quit. the OTC sprays never worked either.

I do still use saline nasal spray to help keep things 'flowing', but it never has a direct effect on me; I continue just because I think it's a good thing to do regardless.

I think in that original Mayo Clinic study dated 1999 or 2000 that about 80% of the population suffer in some way/form from sinus problems, in turning adding to fatigue. They found that fungus was involved in many of the sinusitis problems (so GSE may help you as well as avoiding all sugars and refined products and yeast/mold foods);

and some company was working on turning an antifungal med into a nasal spray. I can't remember the name; so far as I know, it still hasn't been released to the public. I'd made a post about it on the sinus forum here a few years ago if you want to look it up and research it.

All the best,
    Victoria