Sinus Surgery Recovery?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam112361, Nov 15, 2005.

1. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Has anyone had to have sinus surgery? I am scheduled for surgery the first of the year. I have to have in simple terms: straightening of septum, removal of cyst that's beginning to push against left eye, polyps that are visible by endoscopy, opening up and cleaning out of maxillary sinuses, knocking out walls between chambers of ethmoid sinuses and cleaning out, opening up and cleaning out of sphenoid sinuses. This will also include removing any polyps that may be there.

I am not so much afraid of the surgery, though I'm not looking forward to it. It's not knowing how my recovery will be insofar as the pain. Will it fade like normal or stay with me for a longer period of time? My doctor knows I have fibro and although he admits that he doesn't have a lot of knowledge, his nurse practitioner said that they've had several fibro patients that have done well.

I was just wondering if anyone out there may have had the surgery and if so, the results and recovery.

Thanks!
    Pam
  2. kaymac

kaymac New Member

Hi Pam!

I consider myself the QUEEN of sinus surgeries among my peers. I have had 5 of them. I have had sinus problems since I was a teenager. My first 2 were corrective to help me breathe better, avoiding infections, blah, blah, and the last 2 were for polyps, taking out turbinates and mostly cleaning glue out (I have allergic fungal sinusitis)......the pain isn't bad. You live with chronic pain if you are prone to sinus infections and have FM anyway, right? If you are having all that done, you will have some pain, but mine always was helped by the pain meds afterward. Not being able to blow your nose or breathe thru it was the most uncomfortable for me. Most of the surgeries I have had....the pain meds keep me knocked out the first day anyway....then the pain fades. I love my ENT. She makes it easier. Having the FM did make me slower to bounce back into life, compared to my very first sinus surgery. Hope this helps...sorry to ramble on...

kaymac
  3. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Thanks kaymac! I've had sinus surgery before (septoplasty and turbinectomy) but the addtional stuff this time is what is bothering me. They are just getting too close to a brain that doesn't always work its best (LOL). How long did your recovery take? I'm due to go back to work in two weeks which is suppose to be sufficient, but I wonder exactly how good I'm going to feel.

Pam
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I don't want to frighten you but sinus surgery is tough. I was a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist for almost 26 years and just watching the surgery gave me the hemi jemis.

My sister had a deviated septum, and some polyps and some other things and had the surgery. She said IT HURT LIKE HELL, AND I DON'T DOUBT IT ONE LITTLE BIT. She has fibromyalgia, and as far as I know, it did not particularly set off a flare. Just be prepared to HUMIDIFY THE ROOM, BIG TIME, and TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS, SIP LIQUIDS ALL THE TIME, HAVE YOUR HEAD ELEVATED.

They pack the nose and the sinuses and that along, with the surgery must be hell. The packing is necessary to put pressure on the area to prevent bleeding and the packing is saturated with antibiotic and other ointments so it doesn't stick, when removed. Talk about SMELL.

When that packing is removed, OH MY GOD.

I was in the ENT office one day and there was this screaming that sounded as though they were amputating without an anesthetic and I just knew it had to be nasal packing coming out and it was, but it was a teenage boy which means that they are the worst to deal with anyway, I know.
  5. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Hey txfmmom! You didn't frighten me, but only because I've had the surgery before (LOL)! My surgeon has said that the packing they will be using in the sinus cavities will be dissolvable and that they won't pack my nose; just small splints with a stitch to hold the septum in place. The last septoplasty I had (ten years ago) wasn't that bad; it was the packing in my nose for two days that was the killer. I was so nauseous by the time the doctor took it out, it felt like heaven! It was a little uncomfortable, but not nearly as bad as the nausea. The first debridement gave me the most trouble; imagine an "ice cream headache" for about 6 hours even with pain meds. That pretty much made me wish I was dead. Hopefully, it won't be as bad this time. We've got to hope for something, right?!
  6. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I've had the splints...they are not bad, compared to packing. I did recover in 2 weeks, and my last surgery was very extensive. Like I said before, I slept it off the first couple of days and then just slowly recovered. The biggest recovery was being put to sleep. If you've had this done before, you should be know the pain to expect. Good luck and I hope all goes well.

kaymac