Sinusitis - Face pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hi Prickles!
    I just read your profile and noticed your struggle with sinusitis. I've had that struggle too and have had surgery for deviated septum (hoping to relieve the pain). My frustration was that I rarely showed a serious sinis infection but I felt the pain and I have a great deal of trouble breathing through my right nostril. The intense face pain episodes started in 1990, a few months after being in a serious car accident. I thought I had a brain tumor. The episodes come in 4 to 8 week intervals and are completely dibilitating. I've had CT scans MRI's and EEG's - all normal. I've also had normal X-rays of my spine. I've also been to the ER more times than I'd like to admit. And I was hospitalized during my last pregnancy but they couldn't find anything wrong with me so after 5 days they sent me home. My CFS started that year as well. I remember sleeping 2-3 hours every afternoon. I've been to so many doctors that I've lost faith in them. Interestingly, I graduated from a medical university and never got the help I needed. It feels soooo good to hear people relate to my struggle. I have always felt alone in this. You begin to think you are a hypochondriac and this is all in your head. Especially since I've also struggled with depression and anxiety. I've been told I needed to pray more, have a better attitude, I'm sure you've heard it. Let me tell you, nothing is much more destructive to one's spiritual life than to be told that their pain would go away if they just prayed more or gave it all to God. After all the prayer and giving it up the pain remains and I no longer believe it's because God is withholding His mercy or blessing from me.

Wow! I rambled a lot more than I intended. I obviously have a lot to say.

Thank you for understanding.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I think a lot of women suffer with sinus pain as I heard that our sinus cavities are smaller and more prone for disease.

Love Anne
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I love all the good tips I'm getting. I obviously have to find myself a rheumy. I am currently seeing a naturopathic doctor and a therapist. Last week my DR. gave me a small shot in my face (sounds worse than it is - you know, anything for the pain!). It was more for diagnostic purposes than anything but it has given me more relief in my face than anything ever has. He said he was blocking a nerve and wanted to see what effect it would have. I still have trouble breathing but the pain is much less. I like my Dr's perspective on this illness. He said it's like playing chess with our bodies. We have to take each symptom and develop a strategy for treatment or coping. I do think it would be good to combine his treatment with that of a rheumy though. Anyway, thank you so much for all the input. It's even a relief to hear that sinus problem seem to be consistent with all the rest of this *&%%*.

Sofia
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Have you ever read about sinus irrigations? There are many websites if you search on Google about curing sinus infection with saline irrigations.

There is something called a Neti-Pot. I posted info for someone else on the irrigation. I would ask my doctor before doing it though.
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have tried a lot of things but I'm always open to new info. Thank you.

Sofia
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

How are you sweetie?

I was just reading eat right for your type by dr. d'adamo (sp?)

If your blood type is O, he said that MSM is good for sinus problems.

Hugs,
    Kendra

P.S. do you still have blue hair today? (smile)
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Very good info. I have had normal MRI's and CT scans. My current dr gave me a shot to block a nerve at that pressure point and it had a very positive effect. Every dr who's done an exam on me tells me the turbinates on that right side are swollen. I don't think it's bells palsey because I've never had numbness (though I've wished for it) or paralysis in my face. I will look into it further though. Thank you for your helpful input?

Sofia
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

"To Firecop & Other Lymies"

Jill/Firecop mentions her facial pressure finally letting up when she used flagyl along with iv abx for LYME...

this constant pain/pressure is also something I've had major problems with that has been undiagosable - perfect scans, mris, etc, no infection.

I'm pretty sure I have lyme as I've been responding to the marshall protocol and my son, who is definitely dx'd with active/chronic Lyme, has same symptoms basically as me (just doesn't have the sinus part).

Anyway, it's opened my eyes up, I kept thinking it was probably a yeast/fungal infection like Mayo Clinic had found out about 5 years ago... just another possibility to add on to your thoughts.

Hope this helps,
    Victoria
  9. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I am going to look into lyme's. Thank you!

Sofia
  10. sdown

sdown New Member

I can relate to your struggles with sinus problems. All last year I had sinus infections and found out I had nasal polyps. I had tried everything and nothing was working. Thought I was going to take a permanent dirt nap, haha! The doc saved my life by giving me a glutathione nasal spray. I used it for 1 month and it got rid of my nasal polyps. Doc said keep using it for 2 more months. Doc has me now on Xlear xylitol nasal spray 3x a day. Xylitol helps kill bacteria. Glutathione is the master of all antioxidants. I drastically changed my diet as well. No more dairy products, bread and sugar. My sinuses are still draining so that's a good sign. The two sprays definitely saved my life.
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

different things have seemed to help me, but never last...

Besides the neti pot and usual saline sprays, I did try that Xylitol spray 3X/day but didn't help, also made MSM into a nasal spray which DID help for about 3 months... then came back and nothing made a difference.

Have to say I hadn't heard about glutathione tho...

I have also been tempted to try the capsaican nasal spray, think it's called sinusbuster; I would think that no matter what little bugger would be in the tissues it would kill it, LOL, altho I don't know how far into the tx it could penetrate if it were Lyme...

I've also not tried the antifungal nasal sprays (amphoterecin?) - remember that Mayo Clinic study a few years ago saying 80% or something like that - high % - of sinusitus cases were due to fungal infections... could be a co-infection of something like Lyme, it wouldn't surprise me...

I don't think anything surprises me anymore after this, now, LOL!

all the best,
    Victoria
  12. sdown

sdown New Member

The glutathione spray is new on the market in Canada. My US doctor is all for it as well. My doc was very excited that it worked for me. The pharmacist keeps him informed of all new products that work on the market. I wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for glutathione.
  13. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

RX?

I have constant recurring sinus problems and nothing helps!

Sometimes the pain is as bad as a migraine..............the thing about a migraine is they have the "triptans" to help control them..............however nothing I have tried has helped the sinus pain!

Great post!
    Hugs
    Doxy
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

good thread...
  15. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Sinus problems have increased so much for people. I've been fortunate in finding some natural remedies.

First, the saline wash apparently is a great one.

I use Boiron's Sinusalia (homeopathic at health food store).

If I need something more, I put magnetic spots on the really "sore" places (beside my nose, etc.)

Husband has had this now going on 3 weeks, and they filled him full of drugs. Most miserable attack he's ever had.

LIGHT***********carole