Sisland/ Old west history

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Feb 1, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Sis and anybody else interested in Western history. Just came across a site.

It seems to be pretty large; have not investigated it fully. Some fellow just donated a collection of 22,000 old post cards. His mother started the collection in 1906, I think

The donor, or maybe the site, seems to be in Missoula.

2. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow are you intuitive! Thanks! I love the old west history!,,,,I'll definetly check this web site out! It will help with the cabin fever!,lolol,,,,,,,,,,Sis,,,,I'll check back in with you later!
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

I have enjoyed reading and looking at these post cards and like you say it's exstensive so will be going there again to check it out,,,Thanks!,,,Sis
  4. rockgor

Hey! Great site. I've looked around a bit. The main streets from a century ago looked pretty much like the main street where I grew up in MN.

I used to have lots of old postcards, but I've been getting rid of stuff the last few years. Most of them I bought in thrift shops.

I had a card mailed during WWII. No stamp. Someone told me the military folks were allowed to mail w/ no postage.

Now I'm going to see if I can find other similar sites.

I especially like the card where some joker sent a picture of main street and wrote: All of these buildings are saloons!

5. springwater

springwater Active Member

I dont know if this has anything to do with the real topic, but i saw 'old west' in the topic heading and a flood of memories came back of how we as kids used to relish all those wild west black and white comic books which used to come out every week/fortnightly. Used to take them to school to read during lunch break..yes, that was 6th grade, what fun!

Since Im in Asia my only source of information were those comic books and of course those hollywood westerns, both of which form a very pleasant part of my childhood memories.

Hmmmm..that brings back memories of 'Songs of Hiawatha' - i used to long to be there in the forests...learning the secrets of nature along with Hiawatha. This has made me ramble....but how i enjoy it:)

God Bless
  6. rockgor

Don't worry; the topic is the old west/postcards/comic books or anything else you want to discuss.

Never heard of black and white comic books. Wish I had my comic books from the 40s and 50s. They would be worth a small fortune.

Speaking of Longfellow, my ex-wife grew up near Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis, Minnesota. If you look on the web (Wikipedia, for example) you can see the statue of Haiwatha and Minnehaha.

In some grade or other we read Longellow's Evangeline. Had to do a "book" on it w/ a summary and pictures and I forget what all. Unlike the comic books, if I had my little booklet today, it wouldn't be worth a dime.

Happy Trails

7. Juloo

Juloo Member

My ggg-grandparents had my gg-grandmother in Bozeman, MT, and there were a couple of postcards of that town. They were a couple of decades past the time they were there, but I'd never seen pictures before!